Anne Boleyn the bus Any memories?

Guest plain talker

Guest plain talker

I mentioned, on another forum, remembering an open-topped bus that SYT owned, in the seventies and eighties, which could be hired for special occasions like excursions, weddings, Sporting-win celebrations and stuff like that.

Someone suggested I Start a thread on here about it, as folk might be able to remember it.

The Bus was called Anne Boleyn, ("HEAD"-less bus, geddit? lol) I don't remember the fleet number, or registration, but I can remember what it looked like.

Does anyone remember it?

I mentioned, on another forum, remembering an open-topped bus that SYT owned, in the seventies and eighties, which could be hired for special occasions like excursions, weddings, Sporting-win celebrations and stuff like that.

Someone suggested I Start a thread on here about it, as folk might be able to remember it.

The Bus was called Anne Boleyn, ("HEAD"-less bus, geddit? lol) I don't remember the fleet number, or registration, but I can remember what it looked like.

Does anyone remember it?

Hi plain talker. Don`t remember the number but I drove it a couple of times on private hires. The year would be around 86/87, and I do know that it was also used in service mainly on the 95 if there was a shortage of buses. W/E.

Guest transit

Does anyone remember it?

...OK ,here goes ! - Firstly ,as much as it was appropriate , the bus "Anne Boleyn" was a bus which was run by "Andrews" bus co. Although i dont have said pic of AB, i have a couple of others showing their "names" just below the windscreen (pic 1 & 2) Note both are ex-SYPTE BUSES, and the DMS in pic2 has been saved for preservation , and hopefully one day recieve the coffee and cream SY livery .

Right , now onto the open toppers ! .... i cant recall any during the 70's , although they would have been hired from other companies for special "civic" services like football promotions, Santa lights switch-on ect (as what happens now) - but in 1984 Sypte converted one of its D/D Daimlers - HWJ 700J (700) - to mark to 10th Anniversary of takeover by SYPTE. The bus is shown in said livery in pics 3 / 4 . 1985 saw it painted in "Coachline " branding as in pic 5

Now , finally !, onto the bus you describe - This was also a d/d converted by apprentices to replace the ageing Daimler mentioned previously , and was SWB 287L -287. It was first painted in the SYT colours (pic1) for a couple of years ,before recieving the Mainline livery as pic 2. It was eventually sold , but maybe still around ??? :unsure:

Guest transit

....JUST NOTICED ......ANNE BOLEYN IS PICTURE 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another shot of "Anne Boleyn"

Guest plain talker

....JUST NOTICED ......ANNE BOLEYN IS PICTURE 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yaaaay, so she is!! Thank you all, that'sfantastic. just how I remember her. I remembered the shape and everything, but I couldn't remember the model of bus.

I remember she was often parked outside the garage, at Greenland Road depot, and I used to make a point of looking for her as I'd go past.

Guest plain talker

As an aside, I do remember the blue and yellow Andrews buses, which tended to do the Middlewood- Ecclesall eighties routes, and I remember very well them having names, like 'Benjamin Huntsman', 'Sheriff of Nottingham', (did we have a 'Robin Hood'? ) and 'Steel, Peech and Tozer' are the ones that spring to mind.

Guest plain talker

...OK ,here goes ! - Firstly ,as much as it was appropriate , the bus "Anne Boleyn" was a bus which was run by "Andrews" bus co. Although i dont have said pic of AB, i have a couple of others showing their "names" just below the windscreen (pic 1 & 2) Note both are ex-SYPTE BUSES, and the DMS in pic2 has been saved for preservation , and hopefully one day recieve the coffee and cream SY livery .

Right , now onto the open toppers ! .... i cant recall any during the 70's , although they would have been hired from other companies for special "civic" services like football promotions, Santa lights switch-on ect (as what happens now) - but in 1984 Sypte converted one of its D/D Daimlers - HWJ 700J (700) - to mark to 10th Anniversary of takeover by SYPTE. The bus is shown in said livery in pics 3 / 4 . 1985 saw it painted in "Coachline " branding as in pic 5

Now , finally !, onto the bus you describe - This was also a d/d converted by apprentices to replace the ageing Daimler mentioned previously , and was SWB 287L -287. It was first painted in the SYT colours (pic1) for a couple of years ,before recieving the Mainline livery as pic 2. It was eventually sold , but maybe still around ??? :unsure:

I notice that the last two pics are the same bus (SWB 287 L ) in slightly different SYT livery.

I also noticed that in the pic of that bus with the predominant red livery rather than the predominant yellow of the final pic, shows a name near the door, but I cannot make it out, unfortunately.

Guest littlemalc

I have a picture of this bus parked outside my house when we were using it for a promotional event, can't remember what! of course, it should not have been at home, think I called in for a cuppa! I must see if I can work out how to put pics onto here, it will be testing my PC skills to the limit, might have to wait untill my expert visits, ie:- grandson!

Guest bus man

The other open topper 287 went to york when first took over york pullman and was used there it had a very elaberate livery . it then went to guide friday Bounemouth and as been exported to best of my knowledge

Right then can anyone tell me what the connection is between 287 and supertram

700 ended up with applebys on the scarborough sea front service it as been scrapped but dont know which yard , however some of the blue seats can be seen applybys buses to this day

Taken from todays Yorkshire Post. BUS NAMED AFTER CANCER VICTIM DRIVER An open-top tourist bus which takes visitors around York was named yesterday in memory of its former driver, Joe Jagger, who died of cancer last year.

Guest sheffbusman

Hello. The name that was given to SWB287L was "Catherine Howard" I hope this puts all your minds at rest!!!

I am dying ton know where this bus ended up?? Does anyone have any info??? Last I knew it was down south with a company called "Rabbit" or something like that with an all over black livery, please inform???

Guest littlemalc

Talking of open top buses, our seafront service here in Scarborough is shared between Scarborough and District, and Shorline Suncruisers, the latter run by a local businessman, Jack Stephenson.

All Jack's buses are elderly Leylands or Daimlers, it would be a bus enthusiasts dream seeing some of these buses.

They are all of the same era as 287, but still very well maintained, if you are ever in Scarborough, look out for the blue and yellow livery.

Guest bus man

Talking of open top buses, our seafront service here in Scarborough is shared between Scarborough and District, and Shorline Suncruisers, the latter run by a local businessman, Jack Stephenson.

All Jack's buses are elderly Leylands or Daimlers, it would be a bus enthusiasts dream seeing some of these buses.

They are all of the same era as 287, but still very well maintained, if you are ever in Scarborough, look out for the blue and yellow livery.

mmmm think the OFT call it competitioin if it was shared it gets very very very very very very very very very complicted

Guest transit

...a side / rear view of "Anne Boleyn" in the 10 year SYT commemorative livery back in 1984.............

Another shot of "the other open-topper" 287, this time on route 41 on 23rd December 1994, with appropriate signs between decks. A bit chilly on top, methinks!

Sorry about the quality of the scan - it's from a rather battered print and I can't find the negative at the moment.

Mad Annie

Guest transit

Another shot of "the other open-topper" 287, this time on route 41 on 23rd December 1994, with appropriate signs between decks. A bit chilly on top, methinks!

Sorry about the quality of the scan - it's from a rather battered print and I can't find the negative at the moment.

Mad Annie

">

....great pic ! - many thanks - i see it was adorned with its Chrismas decor ! - i am sure this was the year that Def Leppard used the bus to arrive for the big Christmas Lights switch on at the Peace Gardens !!!!!! :o

...oh and welcome to the site , Annie !

Guest transit

............lets hope Sheff United win tomorrow !!!!! and repeat this !!!!!!.........COME ON BLADES !!!!!!!!!

I dont think there was an anne boleyn in the andrews fleet?!

I remember riding on anne boleyn during an open day at Greenland road in the early eighties, there was a road run which went round high green and chapeltown if i remember rightly?

Guest transit

I remember riding on anne boleyn during an open day at Greenland road in the early eighties, there was a road run which went round high green and chapeltown if i remember rightly?

.....maybe you was on the bus when this pic was taken !!!!!!!! as you say , the Greenland Rd Garage Open Day back in '85 :unsure: ..............

Guest bus man

The funest thing was two 15 year old lads had come on the X33 from wakefield for a day bus spotting in sheffield after been told by there dad (a cockney ) that sheffield was boring the first thing they saw was a RM going past they didnt know about the RM. Dad didnt believe them when they rang up to tell him

.....maybe you was on the bus when this pic was taken !!!!!!!! as you say , the Greenland Rd Garage Open Day back in '85 :unsure: ..............

Wow thats an amazing shot! yeah i was there but was only 7 at the time, thought that was me walking on the wall but my dad didnt have long hair

Just found a picture i took of HWJ700J in Applebeys livery in scarborough if i remember right, will try and scan it later