Friction in the world of the sickle and scythe makers

Guest skeets

Guest skeets

1814/ 50 ERA

JOSEPH FEARNEHOUGH WAS BORN 1806, IN SCOTLAND ST, [ NEXT HOUSE TO NOWELL AND SON MANUFACTURERS] ,[HE WAS THE FOUNDER OF SAW AND SYCTHEMANUFACTURERS GARDEN ST NOW AT DARNALL[FERNITE] IS NOW THE NAME I BELIEVE] HE STARTED WORK AT 6 YRS OLD, FOR A SCALE AND SPRING MAKER, NAMED WHITE ,ON MEADOW ST, [bELT DOLLYING] I THINK IT WAS APPLYING A SUBSTANCE TO SECURE GRIP ON THE PULLEY WHEELS, FOR THIS HE WAS PAID 18 PENCE A WEEK, ON TOP OF THIS HE WAS PAID 6 PENCE A WEEK ,TO START AT 5 IN THE MORNING TO CLEAN ALL THE FAMILY'S SHOES AND BOOTS , FEED AND GROOM THE PONY. EXCEPT FOR A FEW PENNIES HE SAVED THE REST [NO MENTION OF GIVING HIS MUM ANY OF IT] AND BY HE WAS ELEVEN HE BOUGHT A SUIT OF CLOTHES, AND NEW SHIRT AND SHOES , HE ONCE LOANED A WOMEN WORKER A SHILLING FOR A WEEK AND RECIEVED 2PENCE INTEREST OTHERS CAME AND SOON HE WAS VERY WELL OFF, WHEN HE WAS 14 HE WENT TO LEARN A TRADE, UNDER MY GGGRANDAD,[ LATE AT BAKEWELL] AS A SAW MAKER, AFEW YEARS LATER GGG BUILT NEW WORKSHOPS IN WICKER LANE [ AT THAT TIME THERE WAS ANIMAL PENS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE WICKER BUYING AND SELLING]ALSO THE FAIR HELD THERE. UP SPITAL HILL WAS WALKER AND EATONS WORKS AND SORBYS WORKS ,THERE WAS A LARGE HOUSE OPPOSITE ,OWNED BY MR SORBY. THERE WERE NO MORE HOUSES TILL THE 12 O'CLOCK WHEEL LATER THE ALBION STEEL WORKS AND THE 12 O'CLOCK INN, THEN NO MORE BUILDINGS TILL ROYLE MILL. 2YRS AFTER HIS APPR; WAS FINISHED, HE WENT TRAVELLING TAKING ORDERS , IN 1837 HE WENT TO LONDON ON BUSINESS , STARTING FROM THE TONTINE HOTEL , WHERE LATER STOOD THE NEW MARKET.

THE TRIP TOOK 2 DAYS AND A NIGHT ,AT EACH STOP TO CHANGE HORSES THE COACHMAN HAD TIPS AT EVERY STOP. LATER,HE USED TO GO BY COACH TO THORNE, THEN STEAMBOAT TO HULL ,THEN ANOTHER TO LONDON BOTH QUICKER AND CHEAPER. AROUND THIS TIME THERE WERE PICKFORDS, GAMBLES, AND JOHNSON HUNT AND MOSS, WHO ALL HAD WAGGONS THAT TOOK GOODS SOUTH AND BROUGHT BACK RAW MATERIALS. HE REMEMBERS THE SHREWSBURY HOSPITAL, BEING WHERE LATER STOOD THE VEGETABLE MARKET, IT WAS SUNK BELOW STREET LEVEL, ENTRY TO THE GROUNDS WAS DOWN SOME STEPS THESE GROUNDS TOOK THE AREA FROM THE MARKET, TO THE CANAL WHARF. AS A YOUNG LAD, ABOUT 1816 ,HE RECALLS SEEING FEASTS AT BROAD LANE , SCOTLAND ST, PHILADELPHIA, OWLERTON, CROOKES LITTLE SHEFFIELD [HIGHFIELDS], HEELEY, ATTERCLIFFE . GREASEY POLES AND PRIZES HUNG UP FOR THOSE WHO GOT TO THE TOP . [[ THESE WRITINGS WERE GIVEN WITH THE PERMISSION OF A MRS D.G.WARD ]] NOT KNOWN TO ME . CHEERS SKEETS.

Joseph Fearnehough 1814-50 era

Joseph Fearnehough was born 1806, in Scotland Street, [in the next house to Nowell and Son, Manufacturers], he was the founder of Saw and Sycthe manufacturers, Garden Street (now at Darnall [Fernite] is now the name, I believe).

He started work at 6 yrs old, for a scale and spring maker, named White, on Meadow Street, belt dollying (I think it was applying a substance to secure grip on the pulley wheels), for this he was paid 18 pence a week; on top of this he was paid 6 pence a week to start at 5 in the morning to clean all the family's shoes and boots and to feed and groom the pony.

Except for a few pennies he saved the rest (no mention of giving his mum any of it) and by the time he was eleven he had bought a suit of clothes, new shirt and shoes.

He once loaned a women worker a shilling for a week and received 2 pence interest; others came and soon he was very well off.

When he was 14 he went to learn a trade, under my gggrandad, (late at Bakewell) as a saw maker, a few years later gggrandad built new workshops in Wicker Lane (at that time there were animal pens down the middle of the Wicker for buying and selling) also the Fair was held there.

Up Spital Hill was Walker and Eatons works and Sorbys works, there was a large house opposite, owned by Mr Sorby.

There were no more houses till the 12 o'clock wheel (later the Albion Steel Works) and the 12 o'clock inn, then no more buildings till Royle Mill.

Two years after his apprenticeship was finished, he went travelling taking orders , in 1837 he went to London on business, starting out from the Tontine Hotel (where later stood the new market).

The trip took 2 days and a night. At each stop the horses were changed (the coachman had tips at every stop).

Later, he used to go by coach to Thorne, then steamboat to Hull, then another to London (both quicker and cheaper).

Around this time there were Pickfords, Gambles, and Johnson, Hunt and Moss, who all had wagons that took goods South and brought back raw materials.

He remembers the Shrewsbury Hospital, being where later stood the vegetable market, it was sunk below street level, entry to the grounds was down some steps these grounds took the area from the market, to the canal wharf.

As a young lad, about 1816, he recalls seeing feasts at :

Broad Lane

Scotland Street

Philadelphia

Owlerton

Crookes

Little Sheffield [Highfields],

Heeley

Attercliffe

Greasey poles and prizes hung up for those who got to the top .

[These writings were given with the permission of a Mrs D.G.Ward) - not known to me.

Cheers Skeets.

--------------------------------------------

Nice work Skeets, keep it coming lol

... in the next house to Nowell and Son, Manufacturers ...

Somewhat later date, but, it's a marker while we look for earlier references to Nowill's on Scotland Street (Note the spelling Nowill)

Cutlery & electro-plate manufacturer & merchant (John Nowill & Sons); 135 Scotland Street (Kelly's 1893)

Arthur Nowill - home - Beech Grove, Victoria Park

Charles R Nowill - home 415 Fulwood Road

John Nowill - no address given

Henry Nowill - home 51 Westbourne Road

... he was the founder of Saw and Sycthe manufacturers, Garden Street (now at Darnall [Fernite] is now the name, I believe) ...

Joseph Fearnehough, Saw & scythe manufacturer, 19 Garden Street (Baine's 1822)

William Fearnehough, Scythe & hay, straw &c. knife manufacturer, Garden Street (Pigot's 1841)

William Fearnehough, Ledger blade, spiral cutters & machine knife manufacturer, Garden Street (Pigot's 1841)

William Fearnehough, Saw, scythe, machine knife, spiral cutter &c. manufacturer, Court 21, Garden Street; home 43 Broad Lane (White's 1849)

William Fearnehough, Saw, scythe, machine knife, calico web &c.manufacturer, 20 Garden Street; home 43 Broad Lane (White's 1852)

Walter Fearnehough, Machine knife manufacturer, 20 Garden Street (Kelly's 1893)

<time passes>

Walter Fearnehough, Machine knife manufacturer, 12 Elmore Road (White's 1911) [RichardB - Elmore Road ??]

William Fearnehough, Managing Director (W Fearnehough Limited) home, 89 Clarkhouse Road (White's 1911)

W Fearnehough (Ltd.), Manufacturers of spiral edges, ledger blades & machine knives, Garden Street Works, 20 Garden Street (White's 1919 )

Walter Fearnehough, Machine knife manufacturer (W Fearnehough Ltd.) Prospect Road, Totley (White's 1919 )

William Fearnehough, Managing Director (W Fearnehough Ltd.) home, 89 Clarkehouse Road (White's 1919)

W Fearnehough (Ltd.) manufacturers of spiral edges, ledger blades & shear blades & machine knives, Garden Street Works, 20 Garden Street (Kelly's 1925)

Walter Fearnehough, Machine knife manufacturer (W Fearnehough Ltd.) Prospect Road, Totley (Kelly's 1925)

He started work at 6 yrs old, for a scale and spring maker, named White, on Meadow Street, belt dollying (I think it was applying a substance to secure grip on the pulley wheels), for this he was paid 18 pence a week; on top of this he was paid 6 pence a week to start at 5 in the morning to clean all the family's shoes and boots and to feed and groom the pony.

Can't say if this is "the man" though the dates are good and the location seems right ...

John White, Nail manufacturer, 17 Meadow Street (Baine's 1822)

John White, Clasp Makers, Lower Meadow Street (Pigot's 1828-9)

Mary Ann White, Milliners, Meadow Street (Pigot's 1828-9)

John White, Nail Makers, Lower Meadow Street (Pigot's 1828-9)

When he was 14 he went to learn a trade, under my gggrandad, (late at Bakewell) as a saw maker, a few years later gggrandad built new workshops in Wicker Lane (at that time there were animal pens down the middle of the Wicker for buying and selling) also the Fair was held there.

Joseph Fearnehough, Saw and Scythe manufacturers (and Sons), Wicker Lane (White's 1833)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Son), Ledger blade, spiral cutters & machine knife manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Sons), Merchants, factors & manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Sons), Scythe & hay, straw &c. knife manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Henry Fearnehough, Sawsmith, Wicker Lane (White's 1849)

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Up Spital Hill was Walker and Eatons works

Edwin Eaton, Steel manufacturer &c. (Walker, Eaton & Co.),home 99 Wicker (White's 1849)

Edwin Eaton, Steel manufacturer &c. (Walker Eaton & Co.), ome Wicker (White's 1852)

and Sorbys works, there was a large house opposite, owned by Mr Sorby.

John Sorby, Edge Tool Makers ((& Sons) I. & H. Sorby)), Spital Hill (Pigot's 1828-9)

John Sorby, File Manufacturers ((& Sons) I. & H. Sorby), Spittal Hill (Pigot's 1828-9)

Is this the same firm still going strong?

27 April 1700

John Nowill & Son Limited granted corporate name by Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire.

www.sheffieldknives.co.uk

Somewhat later date, but, it's a marker while we look for earlier references to Nowill's on Scotland Street (Note the spelling Nowill)

Cutlery & electro-plate manufacturer & merchant (John Nowill & Sons); 135 Scotland Street (Kelly's 1893)

Arthur Nowill - home - Beech Grove, Victoria Park

Charles R Nowill - home 415 Fulwood Road

John Nowill - no address given

Henry Nowill - home 51 Westbourne Road

Around this time there were Pickfords, Gambles, and Johnson, Hunt and Moss, who all had wagons that took goods South and brought back raw materials.

Gambles

Joseph Gamble (& Co.) carriers 10 Arundel Street (Baine's 1822)

Joseph Gamble carriers (&Co.) 9 Arundel Street (White's 1833)

Guest skeets

Joseph Fearnehough, Saw and Scythe manufacturers (and Sons), Wicker Lane (White's 1833)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Son), Ledger blade, spiral cutters & machine knife manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Sons), Merchants, factors & manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Joseph Fearnehough (& Sons), Scythe & hay, straw &c. knife manufacturers, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1841)

Henry Fearnehough, Sawsmith, Wicker Lane (White's 1849)

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

HI Richard Thanks for the editing do you think you could find any dates or info on the William Fearnehough firm ie when they moved there,and then to Bakewell seems a bit strange re date of Joseph being in business there when he states that my ggg built the wicker works around 1825 when he was still appr; to him. Cheers skeets

Not sure why this is here; should be in Genealogy section ... Tsavo ... I don't do moves in case I make a mess of it ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flood Claimant: Henry Fearnehough — Saw Maker of: 14 Silton Street Sheffield

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimMapFlood.cfm?claim=1-102

Particulars :

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=1-102

Basically Messrs. Ibbotson Brothers premises in Russel Street jiggered.

Flood Claimant Joseph Fearnehough Saw Maker of Dixon Street

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimSummary.cfm?claim=1-60

Particulars :

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=1-60

Maybe this can stay here in Pub land ... because I've just discovered the Royal Lancers Pub on Dixon Street was formerly called the Wheat Sheaf - the map

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimMapOSTown.cfm?claim=1-60

shows the Wheat Sheaf exactly on the location of the Lancers (click on the map to zoom in); and that's as close as I've ever seen of the home of the infamous George Arthur Brant (the one we can't find the death details for; my Great Grandfather).

Strange also that both Fearnehough and Brant families have lived on both Dixon Street AND Birkendale/Birkendale View.