Cherry Tree Yard

GnrEaton

Does anyone know of any pics surviving of this yard please? It was somewhere around the Gibraltor Street / Shalesmoor / Kelham Island area of Sheffield and was mainly slums but also had a small engineering works on the site that was run by an ancestor of mine, John Bunting between about 1870 and 1900.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan.

Does anyone know of any pics surviving of this yard please? It was somewhere around the Gibraltor Street / Shalesmoor / Kelham Island area of Sheffield and was mainly slums but also had a small engineering works on the site that was run by an ancestor of mine, John Bunting between about 1870 and 1900.

Thanks,

Dan.

That would be Russell Street then, John Henry Bunting; no map just yet, but gets you closer. John was an "Amatuer tool maker and engineer and machinist (1893).

That's great thanks - I just had some old pamphlets of his to go on that give the address as Cherry Tree Yard.

That's great thanks - I just had some old pamphlets of his to go on that give the address as Cherry Tree Yard.

Born in Clerkenwell, London in 1842, huh ?

1891 Census details

John H Bunting, 12 Court, 6 Gibraltar Street, Moorfields; aged 49, born Clerkenwell, London.

Wife Maria, aged 53, Sheffield born.

Son Willian, 18, machine fitter

Daughter Madeline, 14

John Saynor, son in law, 24, painter

Isabella, John's wife, 21

Joseph, son in law's son (?!?) 11 months

Sneaks you a bit nearer...

Looking on the 1889 map there's a yard at the back of the Cherry Tree pub which says court 6, then further

to the right of the pub at the back is Russell Roller Mills.

Wow thanks everyone! This is taking me further than about six years worth of looking....

John's mother is listed with them in 1881 - she has a fascinating story of adultery and intrigue. She abandoned him (John) as a boy to run off with a leading french politician called Alphonse Esquiros; she lived the high life in Paris until the late 1870's when he died along with their son (in separate incidents). She was also trapped in the siege of Paris by the Prussians of 1870. The reason we know this is that the family kept her journals and they've been passed down to me; they're absoloutely amazing in terms of depth and inner thoughts.

When all her new french family died she was destitute and ended up spending many of her remaining years living on Cherry Tree Yard after John took her in - from the glamour of Paris to Sheffield slums in a matter of months!

Dan.

Wow thanks everyone! This is taking me further than about six years worth of looking....

John's mother is listed with them in 1881 - she has a fascinating story of adultery and intrigue. She abandoned him (John) as a boy to run off with a leading french politician called Alphonse Esquiros; she lived the high life in Paris until the late 1870's when he died along with their son (in separate incidents). She was also trapped in the siege of Paris by the Prussians of 1870. The reason we know this is that the family kept her journals and they've been passed down to me; they're absoloutely amazing in terms of depth and inner thoughts.

When all her new french family died she was destitute and ended up spending many of her remaining years living on Cherry Tree Yard after John took her in - from the glamour of Paris to Sheffield slums in a matter of months!

Dan.

Mother ...

In the Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1887 it says Cherry Tree Yard

170 Gibralter Street to Russell Russell Street.

1871 Theaker and Bunting

60 Trinity Street

Might be an idea to transcribe this; make it easier for all to read - just a thought.

Happy Trails !

1861 Park, Lodger

My eyes have given up; can't read much of this; think it's him. Turner Street ??

Any comments/transcriptions welcome.

I don't know if this is anyone relevant, but, have him anyway ...

George Bunting Metal caster Cherry Tree Yard (White's 1911)

I don't know if this is anyone relevant, but, have him anyway ...

George Bunting Metal caster Cherry Tree Yard (White's 1911)

I was trawling the net to try and flesh out the family of John Henry Bunting (maker of the Bunting Lathe) and found this thread.

George Bunting born 1868 was the eldest surviving son of John Henry Bunting and is described in the 1901 census as a Lathe Makers Fitter so presumably working for his father.

I was pretty excited in finding this topic thread since Maria nee Sellars, the wife of John Henry was the sister of my great grandmother.

I would like to get in touch with gnreaton to compare notes.

Reference the note mentioning Alphonse Esquiros, it was intriguing until now that John Henry's first child (who died and was buried in the same grave as my Great Great grandparents) was named Alphonse.

Also that one of his daughters had a second name of Equiros. Where did those names come from I thought!

My website Whiteheadm.co.uk has more on the Sellars family.

On 27/04/2009 at 17:23, GnrEaton said:

Thanks,

Dan.

Hi Dan I know this is a late post on this thread but it seems you and I are related. John Henry Bunting was my Great Great Grandfather and I would be very interested to see something of his mothers diaries that you mention. Get in touch if you can

Johnstone