The Regent, Barkers Pool.

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

The Regent Cinema, Barkers Pool. Became The Gaumont in 1946 -

Opened on Boxing Day, 1927, the Regent was the city's first "superkinema." The internal decoration was in the Italian Renaissance style with decorated panels, fluted pilasters and ornamental ceiling motifs. Externally, a white faience enclosed a broad entrance with a separate pay box on Burgess Street for the front stalls. Main features of the auditorium were the perfectly proportioned proscenium arch and a huge double dome. The dome was created beneath a series of grills and shutters which could be adjusted to provide extra ventilation as required. Air was introduced into the theatre through a plenum system capable of washing the air before being heated and blown into the auditorium. A necessary job in the polluted city air.

A Wurlitzer organ, complete with lift so that the organist could be seen by the audience, entertained during the intermissions. The organ loft ran the full width of the theatre at roof level and sound entered the auditorium through grills set into the full length of the proscenium arch. The organ is currently in private hands in Suffolk. Seating at this time was a total of 2,300 with 800 seats available in the balcony. A well equipped stage with a depth of 27 feet was lit by a Strand Grandmaster lighting board with four mechanically linked banks. The golden age of cine variety was the eighteen month period after the opening and prior to the introduction of sound. During this time, some famous names to perform were Will Hay, Teddy Brown, Mr Flotsom and Mr Jetsome and the Houston Sisters. Seven backstage dressing rooms were provided.

Films were projected from the lower rim of the dome and the projection box was only accessible from the roof.

A famous newspaper cartoon of the time showed a grandly dressed cinema doorman being asked by a little old lady, "please sir, can anyone come in?"

Info: Sheffield Cinemas / Tsavo

When the War ended in 1945 our family went to the Regent one night and joined the queue though I don't remember what film was showing. My over-riding memory is of the return of street lights with no black-out restrictions after more than 5 years of darkness on the streets and buildings. One film I do remember seeing there (called The Gaumont then) was 'The Cruel Sea' in 1953, still had to queue!

Would you know if, when a film was made and released; say for example 'The Wizard of Oz', did the cinemas in Sheffield, around that time, have to wait to show it or did they show it pretty much after its release? I am aware that there wouldn't be as many copies as there are of modern films today so would London get the films first and then say the rest of the country? many thanks