Local Railway Photographs Archive

s6lad

A work collegue of mine who works on the railway as a train driver has a MASSIVE collection of slides (approximately 50 boxes at 36 slides per box) of local area railways dating from the 1970s. This era was just before we lost most of the manual signal boxes and stations. Pictures of the woodhead route up to Dunford Bridge, the local routes including collierys to Smithy Wood etc etc. These pictures were taken as he carried out his duties on the railway at the time.

At the time he had access to many areas ie inside signal boxes that would not normally be seen.

I'm consious that these slides need transfering into a modern archive to save and I have not seen them yet myself. He is the owner of the slides and would like to remain so but would like them transfering into other formats to save them and open them up for other people to veiw. I'm not sure about copyright etc but this collection definately needs saving.

Can anyone recommend a reliable not profit making source that may be willing to help with this effort.

Any comments or ideas thankfully received.

Wayne

A work collegue of mine who works on the railway as a train driver has a massive collection of slides (approximately 50 boxes at 36 slides per box) of local area railways dating from the 1970s. This era was just before we lost most of the manual signal boxes and stations. Pictures of the woodhead route up to Dunford Bridge, the local routes including collierys to Smithy Wood etc etc. These pictures were taken as he carried out his duties on the railway at the time.

At the time he had access to many areas ie inside signal boxes that would not normally be seen.

I'm consious that these slides need transfering into a modern archive to save and I have not seen them yet myself. He is the owner of the slides and would like to remain so but would like them transfering into other formats to save them and open them up for other people to veiw. I'm not sure about copyright etc but this collection definately needs saving.

Can anyone recommend a reliable not profit making source that may be willing to help with this effort.

Any comments or ideas thankfully received.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Sounds a fantastic collection, approximately 1800 slides would be quite a big job to scan, and would fit on to a DVD presentation for his own use.

However a collection like this needs sharing, I am sure this site would like to display such a local collection.

I myself would be willing to help, I shall canvass the opinions of the other Admins.

There would be no issues with copyright remaing with your colleague.

Stuart

Guest Killamarsh GC

It's Sheffield related, it's history, happy to host it.

Thank you.

Also willing to help if required

Hi Wayne

Sounds a fantastic collection, approximately 1800 slides would be quite a big job to scan, and would fit on to a DVD presentation for his own use.

However a collection like this needs sharing, I am sure this site would like to display such a local collection.

I myself would be willing to help, I shall canvass the opinions of the other Admins.

There would be no issues with copyright remaing with your colleague.

Stuart

OK Stuart,

If you want me to scan 1800 slides and put them on a disc you had better come up to our house VERY, VERY EARLY next time we are going down the boozer for a drink.

Last time it was only about half a dozen slides and that took us about half an hour.

Thanks for your help and support with this matter. I have PMd Stuart my contact number and he can get in touch when ever he wishes. I'm really excited about these pictures as i've known about them for a long time.

As a younger man I worked with the owner of the pictures on the engineers trains that took the line up from Dunford Bridge to Penistone, some pictures of this are covered in the collection.

The photographers father was a retired signalman and alot of the pictures are of the architecture but there are quite a few with locomotives etc.

Thanks Again

Wayne