Unhealthy past ?

Sheffield History

Just thinking about some of the things we used to do, eat and experience that must surely have been bad for us ?

Smokey pubs - by that I mean REALLY smokey - the kind of smoke that made your eyes water when you walked in

Dripping cakes - heart attack on a breadcake

'scraps' from the chippy - some places still do these

There's loads of things that would turn your stomach these days and would scare you to death !

Some pubs are still smokey (for now)

I still eat Dripping Cakes (probably accounts for the weight I'm piling on)

And I still eat scraps from the chippy (As above).

Although I do have a regular argument with my other half over Scraps. They call them 'Bits' in Huddersfield where she is from. They ask for Chips 'Wi'Bits'. What's that all about???

Don't forget the salt that is mandatory on bread and dripping, I'll never suffer low blood pressure... Apart from when my heart fails due to all the scraps I ate with chips ;)

It's just called batter up here in Newcastle, and fishcakes aren't fishcakes at all :(

I remember the first time being out of Yorkshire and asking for a fishcake.

Got a 'Rissole' and was right disappointed!!!

I once made a frier in Poole make me up a proper 'Sheffield' fishcake as he'd never heard of them...

"Just put a small bit of chopped or minced fish between two scallops... batter it all and fry it for a few minutes!"

- "What's a scallop"?

"A round slice of potato!!!"

...He made about 10 and let all his customers in the shop try them and they loved 'em, so he put them on the menu as 'Sheffield Fishcakes' and I believe still sells them as that now...

I remember the first time being out of Yorkshire and asking for a fishcake.

Got a 'Rissole' and was right disappointed!!!

I once made a frier in Poole make me up a proper 'Sheffield' fishcake as he'd never heard of them...

"Just put a small bit of chopped or minced fish between two scallops... batter it all and fry it for a few minutes!"

- "What's a scallop"?

"A round slice of potato!!!"

...He made about 10 and let all his customers in the shop try them and they loved 'em, so he put them on the menu as 'Sheffield Fishcakes' and I believe still sells them as that now...

When I visit my old Mum who lives in Hackenthorpe, we sometimes have fish and chips from the Admiral on Birley Moor Road - I am sure they still do 'Sheffield Fishcakes' - not the mashed potato/fish thing that most sell nowadays.

Near where I now live in Oakham, there is a village called Cottesmore, a few years ago a new chippie opened and , being on the way back from work, I called in one night for the families tea. My youngest daughter, born and bred in Leicestershire, always has fishcake, so thats what I ordered- when i got home she took one bite and said "thats not a fishcake" - upon examination I found out it was a fishcake - a sheffield fishcake - a piece of fish sandwiched between two large slices of potato, battered (not breadcrumbed!) and deep fried.

Turns out the owners of the new chippe were Greek - and thats how they were taught to cook fishcakes - they did not know if their teacher was from Sheffiield, but I dont know anywhere else in the country where you get fishcakes like that.

Back to the main subject of Unhealthy foods - my old boss used to get a breadcake, butter it and then put sliced pork pie into it, crust and all and eat it like a sandwich - I tried it once - and have to say it wasnt half bad but even I was aware of the artery clogging potential of that little morsel

Like the other posters here, memories of the past - coming home after school - calling in at the cafe on the way and getting a dripping cake - making sure they had put on some of the 'jelly' - -plenty of salt and for 5d.

Or pork scratchings, but not like the ones you get in packets in pubs etc. these were from Pork Butchers and came from the rind from the roasted pork - incredible.

I don't think I ever knowingly had a piece of grilled bacon until I got married - oh I had plenty of bacon - but it was always fried, in dripping or lard (oil? - that's for 'posh' people) bread 'dipped' in the fat - and the result a glororious bacon sarnie - now, sometimes when the missus is away - I have to admit that being a secret treat for me. I dare'nt do it just if she has nipped to the shops for a couple of hours cus she has a nose like a bloodhound and can tell if I have had the frying pan out - even hours after - and given that I am on the wrong side of fifty, getting overweight and already past my first triple bypass its a good job she only stays away once or twice a year.

Another childhood cholesteral memory, a treat to be to be shared with yr closest mate - down to the bread shop to see if they had a small 'uncut' loaf that did not sell yesterday -most times they would give it to you for nowt or a copper or two - cut it in half and scoop out most of the bread - off to the chippe and get them to fill the cavity with chips and scraps. To be eaten sitting on't causey edge - or, if near Christmas - looking in newsagents window at the toys he always put in there

Sheffield fishcakes = two slices of potato with minced fish in the middle, battered and fried

Fishcakes = mushy fishy tasting substance in breadcrumbs shaped into a pebble type structure

The best sheffield fishcakes ever are served at the Supper Spot at Malin Bridge

They are as big as housebricks and have loads of fish in them unlike most other chippies who hardly have any fish in them these days

GOOD FUN RICHARD B. IVE TRIED IT ON DOWN ERE, WITHOUT ANY LUCK, BUT WHEN I USED TO GO TO MABLETHORPE AND WAS WILLING TO WAIT, THERE WAS ONE THERE WHO WOULD MAKE ME ONE.

BUT THE OFF PUTTING FOOD, WHICH WOULD MAKE ME HEAVE, WOULD BE IN FISH MARKET. TRIPE,COW HEEL,BULLS PIZZLE(TIZ WHAT IT SOUNDS) CHICKLING AND BAG,PIGS TROTTERS,BEAST BRAINS,OX TAILS,SHEEPS HEAD TO MAKE BRAWN AND JELLIED EELS. MI MUM CALLED THESE NOCKER FODDER. NOT WHAT I CALLED IT. SURELY THIS WAS HARMFULL IF NOT FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ET IT,TO THE PEOPLE WHO WATCHED THEM. "AND HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SWIPED A WELK AND GONE SHOPPING ROUND TOWN CHEWING IT THEN GONE BACK IN MARKET AND PUT IT BACK AND IT DOES NOT LOOK ANY DIFFERENT THAN WHEN THA SWIPED IT". (JOKE)

Don't forget the salt that is mandatory on bread and dripping, I'll never suffer low blood pressure... Apart from when my heart fails due to all the scraps I ate with chips ;)

I always liked the brown jelly off the top as well MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I always liked the brown jelly off the top as well MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The stall in the Castle Market at the top of the ramp from the fish market always sold loose dripping from large containers, complete with jelly. They also had loose butter, potted meat all good stuff.