Minitram in Sheffield

Markbaby

I bet a few of us in the 70's went up to the 3rd floor of Cole Brothers to have a look at the proposals for the minitram system.

But would we have liked it now?

I bet a few of us in the 70's went up to the 3rd floor of Cole Brothers to have a look at the proposals for the minitram system.

But would we have liked it now?

That last picture, -

If we had minitram instead of Supertram at least we could have kept the hole in the road, albeit with the minitram track passing right over the top of it.

With or without Supertram I think we would still have lost the "Hole in the Road"....High cost of maintenance, questionable safety at night and a paradise for drop-outs. Pity, I enjoyed the aquarium...and it was down hill after its removal!

Guest bus man

It should be remembered that Supertram was NOT responsible for the removal of the hole in the road despite what various intrested parties put about, the hole in the road (Castle Sq)was filled in for one reason and one reason alone: due to the increase in lorry weights and the predicted increase in weights to come the department of transport (NOT Sheffield City Council) had issued guidelines on such structures. In order to comply it would have been impossible to have the wide subways and keep it open to the publice, indeed towards the end of its life there were props inserted in the middle of the walk ways.

So therefoe it would have gone any way Supetram or not

Guest transit

....so why not build a new HITR to meet the specs required - pleeeease !!?? <_<

Even Supertram doesnt quite actually pass over the "Hole" if being precise ! - the circular paved area is not where the Hole was - just nearish !

I was thinking about that minitram the other day - wierd. Should have been extended out to residential areas out of the way of traffic and less prone to snow issues.

I guess by now though the raised structures would be about to fall down all over the place due to lack of suitable maintenance.

We now have the tram train to look forward to.

If they are as good as the ones here in Denmark (on holiday) they will be a success, though something tells me we wont do it as well as the Danes.

Back in the 70's such a system was expensive to build and maintain. Computers were not around to ensure safe running. But these days that's all a thing of the past. They have been constructed in Japan and unlike Supertram they don't crash into things, get stuck in traffic jams and cars don't slide around on the rails.

The construction costs are much cheaper than trams as the sections and supports can be made elsewhere then taken to the site for erection. Which doesn't take long either. All they have to do is pile drive the post supports into the ground and then with cranes put the track sections up. 

Ever heard a Supertram pass by at 30 mph. They are noisy as hell.

Monorails can be run on tyres, which means they are as quite as they can be made. Just like an electric car passing by. They use the same electrical system as the Supertram 750v DC.

Just look at this video of them in Japan.