Sheffield Scout Groups

mike142sl

Thankyou for the PDF's of the "Send her Victoriuos" show. Certainly helped to remind me of the program. Looking back it was quite a feat to bring together so many scouts and form them into a remarkable show. The only sad thing was I didn't get to see all the acts.

Have tried attaching photos, managed to seemingly get the files read to upload but then came to a dead end. Can you advise Steve. Maybe it is the old age thing but I won't admit it. :wub:

Gordon

One of the highlights of my time withthe 76th, not counting the yearly camps, was taking part in the gang show, "Send her Victorious" which was at the Sheffield City Hall in 1953.

I was in the 159th Neepsend and was 9 years old when we took part in "Send her Victorious" at the City Hall. I remember rehearsing for the show at the Edmund Road drill hall in the evenings. We made our own way there and back without adult supervision thanks to Sheffield's superior tram network. Happy days. W/E.

You just brought back another memory of the gang show - we used to rehearse at the University at Western Park - I'd forgotten all about that. Always used to come home from rehearsals with a hoarse throat.

Thankyou for the PDF's of the "Send her Victoriuos" show. Certainly helped to remind me of the program. Looking back it was quite a feat to bring together so many scouts and form them into a remarkable show. The only sad thing was I didn't get to see all the acts.

Have tried attaching photos, managed to seemingly get the files read to upload but then came to a dead end. Can you advise Steve. Maybe it is the old age thing but I won't admit it. :wub:

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

take a look here ..

There used to be a st.silas scout group & giudes-I was there for a short time.

My uncle phil wathen ran the scouts for many years,he's getting on in age a bit now so doubt he is still involved.

He was the leading force there -there was a bloke they called skipper i think,who was supposed to be in

charge but was a total waste of time.

I remember one dance fancy dress night-uncle phil came as a robot,he was covered from head to foot in cardboard boxes,i think he won 1st.prize.

a friend i did have contact with in sheffield until i moved again,was brian thompson who was in this scout group.He did tell me a few years back they & guides were having a reunion & could i come. nope sorry west oz a bit far & expensive.

Have just been reading the posts on Sheffield scouting. I have a couple of amendments to the scouting list. These concern 167th King Teds troops. Firstly 'B' Troop couldn't have closed in 1934 as it was still going strong in 1952. Also there was a 'C' Troop which I was proud to belong to from '47 till '52 (ending up as Troop Leader!) Lots more info. on these troops can be found on Old Edwardian site

Thanks for this, the details on the list are taken from the archives in the Scout Office 'dungeon' on Trippet Lane. It's quite posible that the various troops there got mixed up in the admin or that it may have closed only to re open again later - maybe with a different number, which was common in the early years.

I was in the 76th All Saints scouts from 1948 to 1954, and have just found this site. In the listing of all the scout troops of Sheffield I thinkl the scarf colours are wrong, they were if memory not playing tricks Orange with Green piping and rear triangle. Some of the leader names I remember were Murray Penfold group leader, Bill Briar and Reg Spears scout leaders. One of the highlights of my time withthe 76th, not counting the yearly camps, was taking part in the gang show, "Send her Victorious" which was at the Sheffield City Hall in 1953. I remember Lord Rowallen, who was chief scout after BP, attended one of the performances. I do have a couple of photos of the 76th Scout band in action but haven't worked out how to attach them to this message.

Fantastic, I love these memories and as has been said this is what makes this forum tick. I think we need to find something to coroborate the scarf colours though, as I saisd above these details are from the official records so we need to be able to provide a bit of weight before 'officially' changing the records.

There used to be a st.silas scout group & giudes-I was there for a short time.

My uncle phil wathen ran the scouts for many years,he's getting on in age a bit now so doubt he is still involved.

He was the leading force there -there was a bloke they called skipper i think,who was supposed to be in

charge but was a total waste of time.

I remember one dance fancy dress night-uncle phil came as a robot,he was covered from head to foot in cardboard boxes,i think he won 1st.prize.

a friend i did have contact with in sheffield until i moved again,was brian thompson who was in this scout group.He did tell me a few years back they & guides were having a reunion & could i come. nope sorry west oz a bit far & expensive.

I know of Phil, and have heard some classic stories about him - particularly his modes of transport and what happened on many a trip to and from his camps :) I sometimes see him around on St George's Day in the distance so yes he's still involved somewhere.

My 2 older brothers & my 2 children used to be in 270th Intake Sheffield

Is the 270th Intake the one that meets in the bowling hut / community centre in Hollinsend Park?

Well topcat70, - went to City School and works with Intake scouts, - sounds like you live in the same area of Sheffield as I do.

You may be interested in several other topics I have contributed to on this site about the locality we live in.

There is actually a full topic on Hollinsend Recreation Ground for example.

Take a look, have a read, enjoy, and if you wish feel free to contribute further posts.

Going back a bit farther, does anyone know which Sheffield scout groups took part in the Windsor Royal review in 1911? My father (born 1899) thought he was one of the youngest there.

I think quite a few groups would have been involved Judith. I think there are pictures in the dungeon of the Scout Office on Trippet Lane but it would be quite a search. I spent many hours down there sifting out info about my group back in 2007, which is where this thread started. I remember coming across a lot of old pictures and newspaper cuttings of that type of event.

All the records have been moved since then, but if you contact David Worth in the office he may be able to help in some way.

Guest topcat70

Is the 270th Intake the one that meets in the bowling hut / community centre in Hollinsend Park?

Well topcat70, - went to City School and works with Intake scouts, - sounds like you live in the same area of Sheffield as I do.

You may be interested in several other topics I have contributed to on this site about the locality we live in.

There is actually a full topic on Hollinsend Recreation Ground for example.

Take a look, have a read, enjoy, and if you wish feel free to contribute further posts.

I dont work with Intake scouts, I just said my elder brothers and my 2 children went there,and nope its not in hollisend park bowling club,its at Intake methodist church(across from ball Inn).

I dont work with Intake scouts, I just said my elder brothers and my 2 children went there,and nope its not in hollisend park bowling club,its at Intake methodist church(across from ball Inn).

Ah yes I remember there is a Scout group at the Methodist church.

My son went to Gleadless Scouts on Gleadless Road but I was aware that there was another Scout group in Hollinsend Park as well.

I think quite a few groups would have been involved Judith. I think there are pictures in the dungeon of the Scout Office on Trippet Lane but it would be quite a search. I spent many hours down there sifting out info about my group back in 2007, which is where this thread started. I remember coming across a lot of old pictures and newspaper cuttings of that type of event.

All the records have been moved since then, but if you contact David Worth in the office he may be able to help in some way.

Thank you for your reply, Mike. I have the DVD ot the Sheffield Telegraph for 1911 and I think I also looked at the Sheffield Independent online without any luck. My search skills may have improved a bit so I'll have another look and let you know if I find anything interesting.

How do I contact David Worth, please?

Thanks again for your help.

Guest topcat70

Ah yes I remember there is a Scout group at the Methodist church.

My son went to Gleadless Scouts on Gleadless Road but I was aware that there was another Scout group in Hollinsend Park as well.

ah right i see its the first ive heard of it,but saying that i don't get down intake much now my parents have Died,only to go to cemetary on Mansfield road or go to the dentist twice a year as I live nr firth park now which is 2 bus rides away!

Hi Judith,

The Scout Shop number is 270 1752, they will be able to put you through to David.

Mike

Hello Mike

Many thanks. I will phone

Judith in France

Standon Rd, Wincobank

What appears to be the HQ of 61st troop.

Looks like they have a new sign.

The 1st picture below is from Google Streetview, and the 2nd one was taken today.

(I like the old one personally)

-----------------------------------------

Standon Rd - Streetview Link

I noticed this place last year when I was working in a house opposite. Low and behold I ended up working in the building itself today.

The whole of the ground floor is the scout HQ and the 1st and 2nd floors are a flat.

St George's Day Parade, circa 1965.

"Parade of Sheffield City Scouts past the City Hall and War Memorial (1960s).
If anyone can offer a recording of the City Scout Band which could be added as a soundtrack - it would be much appreciated. Please email 59th.Sheffield.Scout.Archives@gmail.com with details."

I was a member of the Montgommery group in the grounds of Endclffe baracks, Endcliffe Hall, had a great time, had our picture in the Star cleaning a machine gun for to highlight Bob a Job week, imagine that now!

St George's Day Parade, circa 1965.

Interesting to see some of the old buildings around Barkers Pool. Cole's is just the same today? but it's good to be reminded of the old Gaumont.

I was a member of the Montgommery group in the grounds of Endclffe baracks, Endcliffe Hall, had a great time, had our picture in the Star cleaning a machine gun for to highlight Bob a Job week, imagine that now!

I knew a few from there, Bob Walker - sadly no longer with us, and Frank Johnson - still very much involved. I know the old hut as a Mallah Venture Scout as they used it after Montgomery closed.

I was a member of the 227 Arbourthorne scout troup in the early 1950 s ,My frend and I earned the Queens scout certificate w itch is probably among the first ones that she signed. to this day it hangs on my wall.I was also a member of the Norfolk team,we were the team that was helping to build the Hesley wood camp site in Chapelltown, I often wonder is it still around?

I was a member of the 227 Arbourthorne scout troup in the early 1950 s ,My frend and I earned the Queens scout certificate w itch is probably among the first ones that she signed. to this day it hangs on my wall.I was also a member of the Norfolk team,we were the team that was helping to build the Hesley wood camp site in Chapelltown, I often wonder is it still around?

Yes shayman, the Hesley wood camp site is still around as far as I know, it was still there in the late 1990's when mt son went with Gleadless scouts

As an Arbourthorne lad myself I would be interested to know where the 227 Arbourthorne scouts were based as when I was younger I was not aware of any Arbourthorne scouts, and from where I live now my son was offered either Intake or Gleadless scouts.

You also mention a "Norfolk Team", - did you attend Norfolk School? If so have you seen the very extensive Norfolk School topic on this forum?

I wrote a short history of Shiregreen Congregational Church for its 50th anniversary and have to confess I never came across any record of 214 Scouts ever having been established there! Shows you learn something new every day!

I was also a member of the Norfolk team,we were the team that was helping to build the Hesley wood camp site in Chapelltown, I often wonder is it still around?

It is still there, in fact my scouts are camping there this weekend. However, its days may be numbered as HS2 P2 currently runs straight through the middle of it ?