Sheffield Scout Groups

mike142sl

I think I'm on that photo-one of the scruffy little cubs at the front. Great memories.

Hi `fury` I think most of us were scruffy in those days even though our mums did their level best for us. A lot to do with playing out all the time and having a bath once a week I think. Did you finish up in the scouts? W/E.

159th Neepsend 1957. Taken on Mappin Street after the St George`s day parade.

Tried to brighten the photo up a bit, there is a but mor shadow detail, but this is now starting to break up

Tried to brighten the photo up a bit, there is a but mor shadow detail, but this is now starting to break up

Thanks for that Stuart. W/E.

Hi `fury` I think most of us were scruffy in those days even though our mums did their level best for us. A lot to do with playing out all the time and having a bath once a week I think. Did you finish up in the scouts? W/E.

Hello Waterside Echo-Yep-certainly did. Loved every minute. Akela in the Cubs was Olive Bramwell and Skip was Brian Clayton, a fine bloke. A big mate of mine in those days was Pete Elms. Being a part of the Scouts was a little bit of escapism and adventure.In those days a weekend camp at Hesley Woods was an expedition ranking with searching for Dr Livingston to a kid like me.

I'd love it if you could identify the kids on the photo. I think I'm on but not really sure now you have managed to make it a little clearer. (My memory is now shot to pieces.)

Hello Waterside Echo-Yep-certainly did. Loved every minute. Akela in the Cubs was Olive Bramwell and Skip was Brian Clayton, a fine bloke. A big mate of mine in those days was Pete Elms. Being a part of the Scouts was a little bit of escapism and adventure.In those days a weekend camp at Hesley Woods was an expedition ranking with searching for Dr Livingston to a kid like me.

I'd love it if you could identify the kids on the photo. I think I'm on but not really sure now you have managed to make it a little clearer. (My memory is now shot to pieces.)

Hi `fury`. Well its going on for 58 years since I joined the cubs and like you the memory plays funny tricks. Akela lived at 66 Watery Street and Brian lived at 27 Rivelin Valley Road. I left the scouts when I was 14 and lost track of them all after that. There are a few names of the faces on the photo that I can remember but I will have another look and post those I know tomorrow. As you may know Brian passed away a few years ago and I did go to his funeral, a very sad day indeed. Regards. Michael Taylor.

This photo is the Sheffield Scout Band on the Lord Mayor's Parade in 1976.

The location I think is Division Street just before the back of the Royal Hospital. The parade ending on the car park at the end of Division Street.

It's interesting that they are still wearing the BP hats when most troops in the 60's were wearing the beret.

159th Neepsend 1957. Taken on Mappin Street after the St George`s day parade.

Skip, top row middle. me to his left, John Kyte in front of Skip, my brother Richard in front of John Kyte ,Arthur Armitage to John Kytes left.Grahem Wheatcroft to John Kytes right, ???? Stevens with the flag on the right, Ian Barley on the end next to the flag on the left. Thats all the faces I can put names to at the moment. W/E.

This photo is the Sheffield Scout Band on the Lord Mayor's Parade in 1976.

The location I think is Division Street just before the back of the Royal Hospital. The parade ending on the car park at the end of Division Street.

It's interesting that they are still wearing the BP hats when most troops in the 60's were wearing the beret.

Think the band held on to the big hats for ceremonial purposes. The big hats went about 10 years earlier as general uniform.

It is a sad state that we no longer have such paperwork for Scouts to keep in this age of electronic media.

The 208th is one of the groups we don't have a closure date for. Opened 22nd Sept 1933, 208th St Christopher's Shiregreen, Knecker = Gold with Emerald stripe. At least we know it was still going in 1963.

It is a sad state that we no longer have such paperwork for Scouts to keep in this age of electronic media.

The 208th is one of the groups we don't have a closure date for. Opened 22nd Sept 1933, 208th St Christopher's Shiregreen, Knecker = Gold with Emerald stripe. At least we know it was still going in 1963.

It has only dissappeared in the past few years mike. I was with the troop as you can see from day one and went right through till I joined Venture Scouts. So many happy memories of the camping trips to Wales and being part of one of the best Scout marching bands in the country. We were often invited to take part in Galas and jamborees both Norh and South. My mom went back a few years ago to visit the church and one of my scout masters Ray Kilby was still running it then that is how I know it is only a recent closure.

Came across this while I was looking for something else.

From Dunsby's "It happened on this day"

26th Oct 1928

175th Handsworth Wesleyan scout group opened.

Hi Mike,

I'm hoping you can help. I was a cub at what I think was Woodside School, just below Stanley Tools off Rutland Rd. I thought it was the 159th, but I'm obviously wrong.

This was the late 50s and I seem to think the scarf was blue with a yellow stripe.

Any ideas please,

Shaun Flanagan

Hi Mike,

I'm hoping you can help. I was a cub at what I think was Woodside School, just below Stanley Tools off Rutland Rd. I thought it was the 159th, but I'm obviously wrong.

This was the late 50s and I seem to think the scarf was blue with a yellow stripe.

Any ideas please,

Shaun Flanagan

Shaun-yes it was the 159th Neepsend. I was in the Cubs there at the same time as you. Olive Bramwell was the Akela.

30/12/1925 159 St Michael and All Angels Neepsend Khaki to 1940

10/06/1942 159 St Michael and All Angels Neepsend Khaki with Yellow Stripe Closed

Again we don't have a closure date for that group. So if anyone can fill that in I would be grateful.

Standon Rd, Wincobank

What appears to be the HQ of 61st troop.

Looks like they have a new sign.

The 1st picture below is from Google Streetview, and the 2nd one was taken today.

(I like the old one personally)

-----------------------------------------

Standon Rd - Streetview Link

Hi Mike. As an ex 159th scout of the 50s, and a parent who has encouraged his offspring over the years to join and enjoy scouting, one thing has puzzled me. What bright spark came up with the idea that it is OK for girls to join the cubs and scouts, but not vice versa. My ten year old daughter is in the guides and even she says it does not seem right.

There have been girls in Scouting for several years in Britain. In other countries even longer. My daughter started as a beaver and went all the way through. She liked the bigger emphasis on being self reliant and the kayaaking. She hopes to become a leader one day. Her best friend is already one. There are a lot of women leaders in scouting, many probably now who have been in scouts but previously you had women leaders especially in cubs who had never been a scout or knew very much about the scout movement.

There has never been any problems about girls in the troops my daughter has been involved in. Nor have I seen any difference between troops that hadn't and troops that had. So can't see what the objection could be. Scandanavian troops have had girls in since the 50s.

Guest naylor22

Have just been reading the posts on Sheffield scouting. I have a couple of amendments to the scouting list. These concern 167th King Teds troops. Firstly 'B' Troop couldn't have closed in 1934 as it was still going strong in 1952. Also there was a 'C' Troop which I was proud to belong to from '47 till '52 (ending up as Troop Leader!) Lots more info. on these troops can be found on Old Edwardian site

Have just been reading the posts on Sheffield scouting. I have a couple of amendments to the scouting list. These concern 167th King Teds troops. Firstly 'B' Troop couldn't have closed in 1934 as it was still going strong in 1952. Also there was a 'C' Troop which I was proud to belong to from '47 till '52 (ending up as Troop Leader!) Lots more info. on these troops can be found on Old Edwardian site

Welcome to Sheffield History naylor22 and thank you for posting.

We welcome additions and corrections to our information and I am sure that mike142sl will be very interested in the information you have provided.

I was in the 76th All Saints scouts from 1948 to 1954, and have just found this site. In the listing of all the scout troops of Sheffield I thinkl the scarf colours are wrong, they were if memory not playing tricks Orange with Green piping and rear triangle. Some of the leader names I remember were Murray Penfold group leader, Bill Briar and Reg Spears scout leaders. One of the highlights of my time withthe 76th, not counting the yearly camps, was taking part in the gang show, "Send her Victorious" which was at the Sheffield City Hall in 1953. I remember Lord Rowallen, who was chief scout after BP, attended one of the performances. I do have a couple of photos of the 76th Scout band in action but haven't worked out how to attach them to this message.

I was in the 76th All Saints scouts from 1948 to 1954, and have just found this site. In the listing of all the scout troops of Sheffield I thinkl the scarf colours are wrong, they were if memory not playing tricks Orange with Green piping and rear triangle. Some of the leader names I remember were Murray Penfold group leader, Bill Briar and Reg Spears scout leaders. One of the highlights of my time withthe 76th, not counting the yearly camps, was taking part in the gang show, "Send her Victorious" which was at the Sheffield City Hall in 1953. I remember Lord Rowallen, who was chief scout after BP, attended one of the performances. I do have a couple of photos of the 76th Scout band in action but haven't worked out how to attach them to this message.

I have two magazines from early 1953 giving details of the above event, they are rather large 8 and 10 Meg PDF but I cannot get them attached. Can anyone help.

I have two magazines from early 1953 giving details of the above event, they are rather large 8 and 10 Meg PDF but I cannot get them attached. Can anyone help.

Hi Cable Fairy

If you would like to email the pdf's to me, I will split them into manageable sizes.

Steve

sb014e5347@blueyonder.co.uk

Firstly many thanks to Steve for sorting out the file size.

I have attached the two magazines which give reviews of the 1953 Gang Show.

The Don and Porter ran from 1945 till 1954 and details scouting in the Stocksbridge and District Local Association during that time.

03 Apr 1953_edit.pdf

04 May 1953_edit.pdf

Free, polite and helpful

A great job Steve, Thank you from us all.

Hi Cable Fairy

If you would like to email the pdf's to me, I will split them into manageable sizes.

Steve

sb014e5347@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you for offering these scans to the Site, it's what makes the place tick.

Any, and all contributions (of whatever type) gratefully received from anyone, go on, have a rummage in Grannies drawers ... he he