Sheffield Scout Groups

mike142sl

With a few exceptions, attached is a list of all the Sheffield Scout Groups that have ever been. The ones shown with yellow background are those I know are still open as they are part of the Scout District that I am part of, so I need to do some digging in other Districts and update the list accordingly.

Some groups have closed and reopened with new names.

There are also some interesting groups which have long since gone.

Scout_Groups.htm

Updated 29th April 2009

Please feel free to add your memories here.

208 St Christopher's Shiregreen 22 September 1933 Gold with Emerald stripe

Great post mike thanks. I was a member of the above mentioned 208 troop both as a cub and scout and have many great memories. Camping trips to Wales winning the Telegraph Trophyand being a member of one of the best scout troop marching bands around at the time.

Well done from me too Mike.

(You've typo'd FreCheville by the way.)

Mickjj - your post just reminded me that 221st won the Telegraph Trophy one year during my membership.

Also do you remember the Homlstrom Trophy? We came 1st or 2nd in that one year as well.

Was that one a night time map reading competition? I'm pretty sure I was in the Seniors when we won it.

I seem to remember them both being real gruelers.

I'll have a word with a cousin of mine. He was in 221st and stayed on through Seniors and Rovers to eventually become an SM. I'm sure he'll have some memories.

Yes the Holmstrom was an overnight hike challenge for Venture Scouts and I can remember taking part myself back in the 70s. I think a version still takes place these days for the Explorer Scouts which is for 14-18 yr olds.

With a few exceptions, attached is a list of all the Sheffield Scout Groups that have ever been. The ones shown with yellow background are those I know are still open as they are part of the Scout District that I am part of, so I need to do some digging in other Districts and update the list accordingly.

Updated 24th April 2009

Hi Mike. As an ex 159th scout of the 50s, and a parent who has encouraged his offspring over the years to join and enjoy scouting, one thing has puzzled me. What bright spark came up with the idea that it is OK for girls to join the cubs and scouts, but not vice versa. My ten year old daughter is in the guides and even she says it does not seem right.

Hi Mike. As an ex 159th scout of the 50s, and a parent who has encouraged his offspring over the years to join and enjoy scouting, one thing has puzzled me. What bright spark came up with the idea that it is OK for girls to join the cubs and scouts, but not vice versa. My ten year old daughter is in the guides and even she says it does not seem right.
I don't know why the Guides don't allow boys to join, but girls have been able to join scouts for about 20 years now. I suspect the original pressure was down to the less adventurous activities offered by guides. Originally it was an optional decision made by the local section or group leaders, however once made you were unable to 'go back'. A couple of years ago though the association became co-ed so in theory if girls approach a group to join they can't be turned away. How this works in practice I don't know but there were all sorts of knashing of teeth by some leaders and the predictable threats of leaving etc - which came to nothing. There have been girls in the Fulwood Troop on a couple of occasions, the first group were excellent and in some ways showed the lads up, in fact pulling them up a bit in the process. The second group were a bit more fashion conscious and didn't last too long.

Not sure about all areas of Sheffield but in this District the guides are 'improving' their game and have more adventurous activities than previously, so the numbers of girls in scouts is low.

Each to their own but I don't think scouts have suffered as a result, In fact our current Explorer leader was a girl scout from Kent, and is proving to be a great asset to our group.

How does the present day uniform compare with the uniform back when this was taken..( This photo has been posted before but i could not find it on site )

Well, the hat and stave have gone, the woggle arrived in the 1920s and long trousers have arrived. Your pic looks like it might be the Blue rather than Khaki option.

There was a MASSIVE shake up in 1967 which upset a lot of old timers, then there was another change not too long ago to the outfits we have today. The pic below is 'Nipper' in late 60s gear, and yours truly with one of my PLs in current outfits.

There - gone and given my identity away !

Just to add something about girls in scouts. It's something Baden Powell didn't have a problem with. In fact after writing the original scouting for boys in several installments he found boys and girls from all levels of society grouping together in patrols to act out what he had written. It was this that led to the formation of the scout movement a year later. However Edwardian society couldn't cope with girls getting involved with such adventurous activities and forced BPs hand a bit. They had to wait until 1910 for the Guide movement but even then they were restricted to knitting etc.

Well, the hat and stave have gone, the woggle arrived in the 1920s and long trousers have arrived. Your pic looks like it might be the Blue rather than Khaki option.

There was a massive shake up in 1967 which upset a lot of old timers, then there was another change not too long ago to the outfits we have today. The pic below is 'Nipper' in late 60s gear, and yours truly with one of my PLs in current outfits.

There - gone and given my identity away !

There was talk about changes while I was in the Seniors. That would be as early as '65.

221st were one of the troops who were opposed to a lot of the proposed changes. In fact a lot of us would quite gladly have reverted to wearing the old BP style hats. Some of us already had them for hiking and at camps anyway.

Am I right in saying that around the shake-up time ('67 you mention) there was a short lived rebellion by a group who called themselves the "Baden Powel Scouts"? This was after my time.

-----------------

Here's an odd thing for me to remember after 45yrs :-

A couple of lads in Seniors wore thick white seaman's type socks when hiking. They took to wearing them at meetings and this caught on with the rest of us in the Senior troop (and the Rovers as well I think) and we all adopted them. We used to soak them in Glo White, and with the maroon garter tabs, we thought we looked the absolute tops. Quite sure that we were the smartest senior troop in Sheffield, we were spotted by some officials while we were on some outing or other. That put paid to that I'm afraid. (although we did carry on wearing them at our own meetings. - Rebellious streak.)

Am I right in saying that around the shake-up time ('67 you mention) there was a short lived rebellion by a group who called themselves the "Baden Powel Scouts"? This was after my time.
Yes the BP Scouts set themselves up as a result of the major review that took place during the late '60s. They officially started in 1970 as a result of being unhappy with changes to the programme. They can still be found today, although interestingly they too allow girls to join - so not imune from change themselves it would seem.

Main list has been updated to include all the currently open groups. A few missing dates still so if you have any details please let me know.

Thanks

Guest tsavo

Main list has been updated to include all the currently open groups. A few missing dates still so if you have any details please let me know.

Thanks

While these aren't Sheffield Scouts, I thought you might be interested in this photo, taken in Olhao, Algarve, last week. They still are apparently still in shorts....very sensible!

Although not quite old enough for scouts, here's a picture of the 10th Sheffield, Mount Tabor, on a visit to Belle Vue Zoo in the early 50's

Although not quite old enough for scouts, here's a picture of the 10th Sheffield, Mount Tabor, on a visit to Belle Vue Zoo in the early 50's
They are Cub Scouts - so still scouts. Looks like a cold day as well.

Scout_Groups.htm

Updated 29th April 2009

Hi Mike. Can you tell me the year the World Scout Jamboree was held somewhere near Birmingham. I think it must have been in the late 50s and we [the 159th Neepsend] all went down on the train for the day. There must have been around 40 of us cubs and scouts, with not a parent in sight. Happy days. W/E.

An old scout friend of mine from 221st has this.

Outside Midland Station early 60's.

A large group of assorted Scouts and Cubs on their way to Walesby Forest.

There are about a dozen lads from 221st standing at the far left hand side.

Hi Mike. Can you tell me the year the World Scout Jamboree was held somewhere near Birmingham. I think it must have been in the late 50s and we [the 159th Neepsend] all went down on the train for the day. There must have been around 40 of us cubs and scouts, with not a parent in sight. Happy days. W/E.
The Birmingham one will have been the 50th anniversary in 1957 and It was in Sutton Park. It will have been the first couple of weeks in August as 1st Aug was the day BP started his now famous Brownsea Island Camp.

Hi Mike

Thanks for filling a gap in the memory! I was a cub and a scout with the 69th at Mosbrough in the late 70's, Cubs met at Shortbrook Middle, scouts, first at Westfield Lower School Gym, then in the Music room at Shortbrook middle. Neckerchief colours were Khaki with a yellow border.

That's interesting biggles, we don't have any dates for the reopened, and since closed, 69th. If you know anyone who can fill in these gaps I would be very grateful.

Thanks

That's interesting biggles, we don't have any dates for the reopened, and since closed, 69th. If you know anyone who can fill in these gaps I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I think the troop that met at Shortbrook started about a year afer i transfered from Cub, which i think would have been about 1978. Skip was a chap called Roger Stanton, and I know my father still sees him so I will ask him to contact me and let me know some of the dates.

Guest robdawn12

I was in the 76th Ellesmere (orange with green stripe) easily mistaken for 231st shiregreen

I was in the cubs then scouts and left in 1986 before moving over to 140 St Cuthberts venture scouts Bagley dyke (Blue with white border)

I remember winning the Beckford peg incident hike with the scouts and making some very good life long friends

Bagley Dyke was the best unit to be in, we all got on really well and did almost everything together, more a family than a unit

Scout_Groups.htm

Updated 29th April 2009

I missed this when first posted - only just seen it; great work Mike, belated Thanks for your sterling work.

Scout_Groups.htm

Updated 29th April 2009

159th Neepsend 1957. Taken on Mappin Street after the St George`s day parade.

159th Neepsend 1957. Taken on Mappin Street after the St George`s day parade.

I think I'm on that photo-one of the scruffy little cubs at the front. Great memories.