Sheffield Scout Groups

mike142sl

Dave H, The 227 scouts met in the church hall witch was located next to St Pauls church at the top of East Bank rd and Berners Rd.I know that the church is no longer there now,I found that out when on one of my visits home to see my mom dad i instructed the cab driver to turn left at the church is reply was what church/ .Idid attend Arbothorne Central junior then Cradock Road seinor school as it was called then.As for the Norfolk team we were a group of rover scouts from different scout troups in the City ,we met every second weekend at the then new Hesley wood location to help buld it into the camp site for all scout troups to visit, Great times good memories, MIKE 142Si I have no idea what HS2 P2 means/ Ive been away to long, proberly some thing modern.

MIKE 142Si I have no idea what HS2 P2 means/ Ive been away to long, proberly some thing modern.

Yes something very modern, Mike is referring to the route of the High Speed 2 (HS2) rail line from Birmingham to Leeds, after Meadowhall it will cut through the Thorpe Hesley site. (or so the plans say at the moment)

Dave H, The 227 scouts met in the church hall witch was located next to St Pauls church at the top of East Bank rd and Berners Rd.I know that the church is no longer there now,I found that out when on one of my visits home to see my mom dad i instructed the cab driver to turn left at the church is reply was what church/ .Idid attend Arbothorne Central junior then Cradock Road seinor school as it was called then.As for the Norfolk team we were a group of rover scouts from different scout troups in the City ,we met every second weekend at the then new Hesley wood location to help buld it into the camp site for all scout troups to visit, Great times good memories, MIKE 142Si I have no idea what HS2 P2 means/ Ive been away to long, proberly some thing modern.

Do you happen to have any photo's from the early days of Hesley Wood?

So an old Norfolk school boy like me and several others then Shayman ;-)

I know the old St Pauls church well, I went to Sunday school there in 1964 -5 and my younger brother, called Paul, was christened there in 1961.

sadly to say no photos of the time I spent there, who had a camera in those days? as for St Pauls Church I was married there in 1964.

just been back on a visit to Sheffield and looked in in Hesly wood what a difference 60 years makes. allso the HS2 runs right thrugh my frends home at Killamarsh I think thats called progress.

Here's an odd thing for me to remember after 45yrs :-

A couple of lads in Seniors wore thick white seaman's type socks when hiking. They took to wearing them at meetings and this caught on with the rest of us in the Senior troop (and the Rovers as well I think) and we all adopted them. We used to soak them in Glo White, and with the maroon garter tabs, we thought we looked the absolute tops. Quite sure that we were the smartest senior troop in Sheffield, we were spotted by some officials while we were on some outing or other. That put paid to that I'm afraid. (although we did carry on wearing them at our own meetings. - Rebellious streak.)

St Georges Day Parade - Sometime in1960's probably about '65

221st Frecheville.

Seniors wearing the above mentioned "none regulation" white socks. :)

On 01/11/2009 at 13:20, fury said:

I think I'm on that photo-one of the scruffy little cubs at the front. Great memories.

I joined this bunch around 1959/60 as a Cub age about 6, wonder if any of them were still members. I remember going on a trip to the coast and visiting a lighthouse, not sure where though.

Regarding the 167th (King Edwards): there were three troops, A, B and C, extant in 1960. I joined C troop - because I liked their broad-brimmed scout hats and the other two wore berets I think! - but this was disbanded in summer 1961, after which I joined B troop, which was certainly still going in 1962 when I left Sheffield; indeed , thinking back, it was still going in 1964 when I took my patrol from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, where I' moved to, on a joint camp at a farm in the Peak District (Shimwell's, can't remember the village, may have been Great Longstone) with my friend's patrol from B troop. So, if B troop really was closed in 1934, it must have been revived at some later date.

Hi Mike,regarding the 228th Langsett Road troop.they were a methodist to start with but became an open group when they got there own headquaters on Catch Bar Lane.I joined the group as a scout in 1954 ,became a senior scout ,asl.then scout leader.I was also a member of the county training team at Hesley Wood.Due to work i had to leave scouting because i could not devote the amount of time neccessary to give to the scouts.I believe the group folded about 1966/67 the headquarters was vandelised and burnt to the ground.the actual spot is where the memorrial to fans who lost there lives in the Hillsborough disaster.If my memmory serves me right we were one of the last troops to stop wearing the old style hats and going into long trousers.I have to say that scouting were some of my happiest days and i still remember them well.The colours were Royal Blue and Old Gold border.

On 28/06/2013 at 00:55, vox said:

St Georges Day Parade - Sometime in1960's probably about '65

221st Frecheville.

Seniors wearing the above mentioned "none regulation" white socks. :)

post-3521-0-92613100-1372377290_thumb.jpg

Anybody remember Keith Williams, senior scout leader. The seniors won a couple of trophies which Keith was leader - there were pics in the star - wondered if anybody had any of the pics?