Closed Public Toilets

Stuart0742

If I remember correctly, the 'underground' toilets in Fitzalan Square had those large brass locks on the doors.

Yes `binstead` you are right. And do you know what, as kids when going to town on the tram we would collect tab ends on the top deck, then on arriving in Fitzalan Square we would go down into those toilets and smoke them. [better not let my grand kids read this ] Oh and by the way, we called our smokes `top deck flake` Happy days. W/E.

Guest binsted71

Yes `binstead` you are right. And do you know what, as kids when going to town on the tram we would collect tab ends on the top deck, then on arriving in Fitzalan Square we would go down into those toilets and smoke them. [better not let my grand kids read this ] Oh and by the way, we called our smokes `top deck flake` Happy days. W/E.

I seem to remember that cisterns over the urinals were glass fronted. You could see the water level.

As relieved could be another meaning of exempt, and if he ever finds a photo of that trolley bus on City Road, he may then well be flushed with success, W/E.

I'm beginning to wonder. I'll lav to think about it. <_<

Oh, bog off you closet!! :P

I'm beginning to wonder. I'll lav to think about it. <_<

Oh, bog off you closet!! :P

To normal people like us what we remember, well, what I remember with affection most was the toilet humour. There has always been downright filth but in the old days most of the jokes were simple and amusing, e g Toilet poets when they die shall have erected in the sky==== The cleaners work was all in vain ====== Here lies the body of Deadwood wee pipe ====== The list goes on. One of the reasons a lot of people are nasty these days is that no one has anything to laugh about anymore. While you are looking what ive put, you may be ******* on your foot. W/E or should it be W/C.

To normal people like us what we remember, well, what I remember with affection most was the toilet humour. There has always been downright filth but in the old days most of the jokes were simple and amusing, e g Toilet poets when they die shall have erected in the sky==== The cleaners work was all in vain ====== Here lies the body of Deadwood Dick ====== The list goes on. One of the reasons a lot of people are nasty these days is that no one has anything to laugh about anymore. While you are looking what ive put, you may be ******* on your foot. W/E or should it be W/C.

When Stuart first started this topic on closed toilets we laughed and joked about it in the boozer first and thought that, amongst other things and its local history context it would be "good for a laugh" and would get people with similar humour to our own involved in posting these types of comments for a bit of a giggle.

How many posts later? - took you b***** long enough!

When Stuart first started this topic on closed toilets we laughed and joked about it in the boozer first and thought that, amongst other things and its local history context it would be "good for a laugh" and would get people with similar humour to our own involved in posting these types of comments for a bit of a giggle.

How many posts later? - took you b***** long enough!

Better late than never ! W/E.

took you b***** long enough

Better late than never !

This sounds a little constipated to me lol

And there's me thinking this was a serious topic :)

And there's me thinking this was a serious topic :)

Now what was it you said in the pub about having a bit of a laugh for Christmas?

I've just come back from Germany but passing through Belgium and

France the charge to use the toilets are about 30cents.

Not having any change on me a gent waiting outside for his wife gave

me 30cts and told me to " have this one on him" :o lol

I've just come back from Germany but passing through Belgium and

France the charge to use the toilets are about 30cents.

Not having any change on me a gent waiting outside for his wife gave

me 30cts and told me to " have this one on him" :olol

Sounds like a European with a very British sense of humour. ;-)

Fullwood Road, near the bottom of Tom Lane.

Just passed this today.

It's changed since this Google Streetview was taken.

It's now got a large wooden "extension" :unsure: on top of it.

I'll try for a photo next time I'm passing.

Google Streetview

Guest simonjo

Fullwood Road, near the bottom of Tom Lane.

Just passed this today.

It's changed since this Google Streetview was taken.

It's now got a large wooden "extension" :unsure: on top of it.

I'll try for a photo next time I'm passing.

Google Streetview

It's now a knife making studio and workshop. Article from the Telegraph here:

Grace finds a convenient location for new workshop

About 30 years ago after a cold winters night out drinking with Stuart0742 at Hackenthorpe where he lived at the time the late No. 41 bus never turned up and I was faced with having to walk back to the Arbourthorne having consumed quite a large quantity of alcoholic liquid and therefore being in need of a public convenience or two.

I found suitable public conveniences at

Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe

Birley Moor Road, Frechville (near The Sherwood)

Intake Bus Terminus

Mansfield Road (between the Woodthorpe Arms and the shops)

Manor Top (turn left onto Ridgeway Road at the top of Mansfield)

I don't think any of these public toilets are still in use or in some cases even still standing today.

Intake bus terminus public toilets as they are today.

Sheffield (top) end, Gents toilet, sign damaged / missing but location apparent.

Derbyshire (lower) end, Ladies toilet, sign still present on wall

Not only are the toilets closed (and have been for a long time) so is the bus terminus.

There has been no need for a terminus here since Sheffield moved its boundary beyond Shire Brook (just beyond the bus terminus) and out into what was previously Derbyshire, Rural borough of Chesterfield

Hi Stuart0742

I wonder if you can remember the public toilet in Sheffield Town

which had a carved stone coat of arms inside,

do you have any idea why it was there?

Hi Stuart

I hope you can answer me this Question,

in Sheffield Town Centre near to the Castle Market there is a public toilet ho longer in use

but still there.

My question is why is there a carved coat of arms inside,

it seems a strange item for a public toilet ???

Stuart

I think there is still one on Owler Lane (between Page Hall and Grimesthorpe) between the petrol station and mini roundabout. Sorry haven't got a photo.

Hi Stuart

I hope you can answer me this Question,

in Sheffield Town Centre near to the Castle Market there is a public toilet ho longer in use

but still there.

My question is why is there a carved coat of arms inside,

it seems a strange item for a public toilet ???

Welcome to Sheffield History YATESACE.

Could you be referring to the toilets that stand on the corner of Castlegate/ Blonk Street, that were built around 1916?

A link .. Here