Closed Public Toilets

Stuart0742

Not sure how to insert the Google thingy, but there are the remains of a public toilet outside Hillsborough Park on Langsett Rd.

Hi jmdee,

I had a look on Google SV but can't see the public toilet on Middlewood Rd (name changes at Hillsborough corner) outside the park.

There is one on Parkside Rd .. link to Google.

And a possible one on Penistone Rd ... link

Hi jmdee,

I had a look on Google SV but can't see the public toilet on Middlewood Rd (name changes at Hillsborough corner) outside the park.

Looking at Map 241 ..Link

There was a Publice Toilet next to Hillsborough Baths

Although the building is still there, it is not a toilet, from Google Street View it looks like either a wine bar or hairdresser. (best I can make out on this PC at work) .. Link

Hi jmdee,

I had a virtual drive around and came up with the same conclusion.

Parkwood Road, just before Middlewood Rd junction.

Looking at Map 241 ..Link

There was a Publice Toilet next to Hillsborough Baths

Although the building is still there, it is not a toilet, from Google Street View it looks like either a wine bar or hairdresser. (best I can make out on this PC at work) .. Link

I already bagged that one on Red Telephone Boxes.

It's Bangla Cottage by the way - A restaurant

I already bagged that one on Red Telephone Boxes.

It's Bangla Cottage by the way - A restaurant

Is it a small restaurant or was it a large toilet :)

Hi jmdee,

That's the one on Penistone Rd.

That's the one on Penistone Rd.

Thanks jmdee,

I thought the building had that sort of look about it.

lol

The Blonk Street loos that I mentioned in the 'Mystery Location' Topic,

is now available in full color.

But when you look at the back of them,

there is a low level window or door.

I can't remember seeing any stairs inside there,

so what could the downstairs area have been used for?

Could it lead to Manor Lodge lol

The Blonk Street loos that I mentioned in the 'Mystery Location' Topic,

is now available in full color.

But when you look at the back of them,

there is a low level window or door.

I can't remember seeing any stairs inside there,

so what could the downstairs area have been used for?

Could it lead to Manor Lodge lol

Smuggling?

Toilet maintainence? (Do the toilets drain directly into the Don? - surely not!)

Secret hideaway?

We need to know what is on the other side of that door and where it can be accessed from if there is no access in the actual toilets then where does it lead?

Another mystery, - still haven't worked out why the original mystery picture was in black & white. The addition of colour doesn't give that much away.

Smuggling?

Toilet maintainence? (Do the toilets drain directly into the Don? - surely not!)

Secret hideaway?

We need to know what is on the other side of that door and where it can be accessed from if there is no access in the actual toilets then where does it lead?

Another mystery, - still haven't worked out why the original mystery picture was in black & white. The addition of colour doesn't give that much away.

It looks as though the doorway has been altered at some time.

The coursed stones at the bottom are consistent with having 2 or 3 rows added as a fill in. They don't interlock as they should do.

Maybe the door was access for them to remove the solids :o every so often by boat, although why it should be altered (if indeed it was) I couldn't say.

If we needed all these toilets in the old days, why not now? Last week I had arranged to travel to the Crookes area of Sheffield. and as my daughter lives at Upperthorpe I called there first. The walk from A to B is I would say not much more than a mile at the most, and if I had been making that journey 30 years ago there would have been three public toilets en route, today there are none. Why is this ? I know more people travel by car and get home quicker, but there is still a need for these facilities. My own opinion is that since everything now seems to be acceptable, these places are just not safe to go in [excuse the pun] so they got closed down, so much for progress. Sixty years ago, as children we were always told not to hang about such places, and certain individuals knew that if they got caught making a nuisance of themselves they stood a good chance of getting locked up. Bring back the bobby on the beat and a few old fashioned values. And no, I am not being discriminatory, its just common sense. W/E.

If we needed all these toilets in the old days, why not now? Last week I had arranged to travel to the Crookes area of Sheffield. and as my daughter lives at Upperthorpe I called there first. The walk from A to B is I would say not much more than a mile at the most, and if I had been making that journey 30 years ago there would have been three public toilets en route, today there are none. Why is this ? I know more people travel by car and get home quicker, but there is still a need for these facilities. My own opinion is that since everything now seems to be acceptable, these places are just not safe to go in [excuse the pun] so they got closed down, so much for progress. Sixty years ago, as children we were always told not to hang about such places, and certain individuals knew that if they got caught making a nuisance of themselves they stood a good chance of getting locked up. Bring back the bobby on the beat and a few old fashioned values. And no, I am not being discriminatory, its just common sense. W/E.

I'm sure you're right to a certain extent, but the nail in the coffin was mostly economic I think. Councils got fed up of wasting money on repairing vandalism, and when money got even tighter they could save money by closing the ones that had attendants as well.

And they could use the trick of self-fulfilling argument - money's short, so reduce the frequency of cleaning. Toilets become increasingly filthy and smelly, so people avoid using them. Then you can claim that the public obviously don't need them any more, and close them.

(Can I have my 'Grumpy Old Man' badge now please?)

I'm sure you're right to a certain extent, but the nail in the coffin was mostly economic I think. Councils got fed up of wasting money on repairing vandalism, and when money got even tighter they could save money by closing the ones that had attendants as well.

And they could use the trick of self-fulfilling argument - money's short, so reduce the frequency of cleaning. Toilets become increasingly filthy and smelly, so people avoid using them. Then you can claim that the public obviously don't need them any more, and close them.

I think Waterside Echo and Bayleaf have just about summed up why there are far less public toilets than there used to be. Shortage of funding, vandalism, dubious activities, lack of cleanliness and safety have all paid a part in their decline.

In town we sometimes have to use either the moor foot toilets or the ones outside the town hall. As for funding, my wife doesn't like the ladies attendant ones outside the town hall / peace gardens because of the fee, 20 pence and asks why she should have to pay 20 pennies to spend a penny. I have not used the gents toilets at the other side of the town hall as my need to go is not as great as hers, but do they charge the men 20p as well?

Hi `Bayleaf` Regarding the badge, sorry there are none left, I am wearimg them all. Regards, W/E.

Guest Gramps

I think Waterside Echo and Bayleaf have just about summed up why there are far less public toilets than there used to be. Shortage of funding, vandalism, dubious activities, lack of cleanliness and safety have all paid a part in their decline.

In town we sometimes have to use either the moor foot toilets or the ones outside the town hall. As for funding, my wife doesn't like the ladies attendant ones outside the town hall / peace gardens because of the fee, 20 pence and asks why she should have to pay 20 pennies to spend a penny. I have not used the gents toilets at the other side of the town hall as my need to go is not as great as hers, but do they charge the men 20p as well?

I believe a wee is free....anything else has to be paid for ;)

London Road South.

Map #18

Yet another (different) guy having to relieve himself in the street because the public toilets are out of use.

Who is this guy <_<

Perhaps its Steve himself lol

No it isn't Steve.

I've seen a picture of Steve in another thread where he posted his own picture having caught 5 fish out of the canal.

It's not that many years ago that a public lavatory's stood here ..?

Image fom Google St View

;-)

Google Street Views

Here's a before and after.

1st April 2009 - 9.00am

1st April 2009 - 10.00am

It may help.

Google Street Views

Here's a before and after.

1st April 2009 - 9.00am

1st April 2009 - 10.00am

It may help.

Same guy urinating again, portable toilet, easily moved, fairly posh / modern area of the City by the look of it.

Same guy urinating again, portable toilet, easily moved, fairly posh / modern area of the City by the look of it.

Looks like Heeley to me, perhaps somewhere on Steves route home :)

Looks like Heeley to me, perhaps somewhere on Steves route home :)

Heeley!!

So the portable toilet wasn't removed for maintainence / emptying / cleaning then

Someone will have nicked it :blink: