Closed Public Toilets

Stuart0742

Perhaps we could do a list of ones that are still open, for us aging types whose waterworks aren't what they were! :unsure:

Up until the late 80s, from Stocksbridge bus terminus to the bus station in Sheffield there were 8 gents toilets. I know, I used them all one morning.

Up until the late 80s, from Stocksbridge bus terminus to the bus station in Sheffield there were 8 gents toilets. I know, I used them all one morning.

Was this some kind of sponsored event? he he

Not bad 20 posts of ridicule, that just for 1 location, wait till I post my top 20 urinals past and present of Sheffield, should produce loads of posts lollol

Can't wait lol

TO(I)LET

A while ago these were advertised by an estate agents. Maybe it's a 2 toilet with en-suite lounge, bedroom and kitchen type place. :rolleyes:

Any guesses where?

They recently had a new toilet block placed nearby on site by crane I'm told.

Was this some kind of sponsored event? he he

Yes. Stones/Wards/Tandoriwhatever+4.30 AM start. Happy days though.

brightend up the image a bit vox

;-)

I thought Google were supposed to blur out peoples faces (unless of course SteveHB has photoshoped this character in from somewhere else)

Looks like the driver of that hire van got took a bit short and the only public toilets for miles were long since closed.

About 30 years ago after a cold winters night out drinking with Stuart0742 at Hackenthorpe where he lived at the time the late No. 41 bus never turned up and I was faced with having to walk back to the Arbourthorne having consumed quite a large quantity of alcoholic liquid and therefore being in need of a public convenience or two.

I found suitable public conveniences at

Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe

Birley Moor Road, Frechville (near The Sherwood)

Intake Bus Terminus

Mansfield Road (between the Woodthorpe Arms and the shops)

Manor Top (turn left onto Ridgeway Road at the top of Mansfield)

I don't think any of these public toilets are still in use or in some cases even still standing today.

Intake Bus Terminus

I don't think any of these public toilets are still in use or in some cases even still standing today.

I remember the ones on Birley moor road they were here. Google street view image

I can't remember any on Birley Spa Lane at all.

I remember the ones on Birley moor road they were here. Google street view image

I can't remember any on Birley Spa Lane at all.

The Birley Spa Ln ones were at "The Top Shops" next to bookies and the library.

Don't seem to be there now

Blimey, that's another thing "on my doorstep" that I can't remember.

Pretty crap seeing as I lived 300 yards away on Cotleigh Rd.

However, in my defence, I submit that - That part of the shops was built after '68 which is when I left mom and dad's. The whole parade was added to in a few different stages over the years.

Another one to ask mom about.

Perhaps all the public toilets I mentioned have gone then as these were the newest, cleanest and best of the set. I remember that as I was walking home late at night after missing a bus that they were full illuminated inside so that you could see what you were doing. I don't remember any of the others, except the ones at Intake Terminus having lights, - and those didn't always work due to vandalism.

About 30 years ago after a cold winters night out drinking with Stuart0742 at Hackenthorpe where he lived at the time the late No. 41 bus never turned up and I was faced with having to walk back to the Arbourthorne having consumed quite a large quantity of alcoholic liquid and therefore being in need of a public convenience or two.

Intake Bus Terminus

DaveH's Toilet tour of South East Sheffield, courtesy of Google Maps Street View

Birley Spa Ln - Now gone

Birleymoor Rd - Now gone

Intake bus terminus

Mansfield Rd - Now gone

Ridgeway Rd Manor Top

DaveH's Toilet tour of South East Sheffield, courtesy of Google Maps Street View

I have suspicious thoughts about people who have the weird fascination

of looking for public toilets. :unsure:

Even if it is on Google.

he he he he

No it didn't look like that at the time.

It was dark, cold and I was desperate for a wazz.

TO(I)LET

A while ago these were advertised by an estate agents. Maybe it's a 2 toilet with en-suite lounge, bedroom and kitchen type place. :rolleyes:

Any guesses where?

They recently had a new toilet block placed nearby on site by crane I'm told.

Rivelin Valley Road.

link to Google Street View

On the Street View at the right hand side there's a patch of grass. If you look at the Knowle Lane side of it you'll see the ground dips slightly. That's because it's an old mine shaft from the 18th century. Off topic I know, but interesting don't you think?

On the Street View at the right hand side there's a patch of grass. If you look at the Knowle Lane side of it you'll see the ground dips slightly. That's because it's an old mine shaft from the 18th century. Off topic I know, but interesting don't you think?

Bayleaf I though you was going to say "a patch of grass had turned yellow" for some reason .. lol

I see what you mean,

a bit of Subsidence?

Over to the right of the horse trough, Link to Google St View

Bayleaf I though you was going to say "a patch of grass had turned yellow" for some reason .. lol

I see what you mean,

a bit of Subsidence?

Over to the right of the horse trough, Link to Google St View

I say, steady on Steven, we are talking deepest Ecclesall here you know! :oSome people even have indoor loos!

That's the one, where the edging stones dip. Every now and then Street Force come and scratch their heads and try to level it up, but it never lasts long!

Here's one long closed down.

Commonside

Interesting to see that the original Gents had a later "extension" built at the side when they finally realised that women too were likely to be caught short.

Google Street View

Not sure how to insert the Google thingy, but there are the remains of a public toilet outside Hillsborough Park on Langsett Rd.

brightend up the image a bit vox

;-)

Seeing the picture on this post reminded me of Burngreave back in the 50s. I was waiting for the bus on Minna Road and was approached by an West Indian chap, he was panic stricken and all he could say was " wanna wanna peezy peezy", I directed him to the toilets outside Abbeyfield Park which he departed for Poste-Haste . Thinking about it, the fact was, in those days there was a good chance of getting locked up for getting caught urinating in public.