Sweets and Chocolate bars of the past !

Sheffield History

Does anyone remember the long twirly stick of buttery type hard toffee which had a chocolate centre, made by Trebor.

I loved them, they also did a stick of barley sugar the same size.

The 1d, 2d, and 3d bars of Cadbury's milk chocolate.

Marion

After the war, we children were rationed to a small amount of sweets. We all tried to find ways of making our small allocation of coupons go that little bit further. One day I noticed that out local chemist had large blocks of liquorice for sale and no coupons were required. It tasted great and I finished the lot in one afternoon.....kept me going all week.....literally!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest coffee cup

After the war, we children were rationed to a small amount of sweets. We all tried to find ways of making our small allocation of coupons go that little bit further. One day I noticed that out local chemist had large blocks of liquorice for sale and no coupons were required. It tasted great and I finished the lot in one afternoon.....kept me going all week.....literally!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I bet it did

Sorry I don't supose it was that funny at the time. :rolleyes:

Yes, I can confirm that Maxons was, indeed, taken over by Dixons (or Dixon Pitchfork as they were known then) as I worked at Maxons in the offices around 1966-67 and they were owned by Dixons when I started there so I don't know when they took Maxons over. The Maxons factory and offices were near the bottom of Albert Road, on the right as you went up from Chesterfield Road. I do believe that after I left, the old factory/offices were pulled down and replaced with new ones. Don't know if they are still there now, though? All of the staff used to be able to buy cut price 'misfits' sweets really cheaply for a huge bagful. Wonder why I was really popular with family and friends when I worked there??? lol

Sometimes, when I had to go down into the factory, the sweet rollers would ask if I wanted to sample some of whatever they happened to be rolling out or bottling up into jars at the time. I ALWAYS accepted when it was aniseed balls, they were one of my favourites. Haven't seen those around for a long time, are they still available?

Have we mentioned "Almond Islands" ? Trialled in Sheffield, circa 1975, cost a fortune, 8/- (Eight Shillings for a chocolate bar !, 40p, maybe more, anyone remember ?), shaped like a starfish, almond on each arm, all coated with chocolate.

Sometimes, when I had to go down into the factory, the sweet rollers would ask if I wanted to sample some of whatever they happened to be rolling out or bottling up into jars at the time. I ALWAYS accepted when it was aniseed balls, they were one of my favourites. Haven't seen those around for a long time, are they still available?

I have a full case of Aniseed Balls ....

but the Antibiotics are hopefully gonna kick in soon !

Sorry, couldn't resist he he

I have a full case of Aniseed Balls ....

but the Antibiotics are hopefully gonna kick in soon !

I also have a "Curley Whirly" lol

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Old jamaican omg! it was a treat if I had one of those! anyone remember the toffee I think they was worthingtons, but they looked like they was flattened by hand, round shaped. My great great uncle always bought them and many atime they took out my fillings! a few other favourites was country style choc, caramac, icy cups, sherbet pips, angelo bubbly, Moose bar, Kendal Mint Cake, Rhubarb & Custard, the bag of bubbly Rach was on about was they really called golden nuggets?

Hey RichardB do you agree that curly whirly's arent as big as they was then, or is it that we have grown, or maybe its just my mouth is bigger. lolhe helol

Sos shezza didnt see your post. 100 lines 'must read previous posts before postin' :rolleyes:

Hey RichardB do you agree that curly whirly's arent as big as they was then, or is it that we have grown, or maybe its just my mouth is bigger. lolhe helol

Sos shezza didnt see your post. 100 lines 'must read previous posts before postin' :rolleyes:

Indeed, they shrank, and Mars Bars used to have chocolate on top of 'em, thick, thick chocolate until the late 70's, and Quality Street Purple-thingies used to have Brazil not in them, not fragments of hazlenut ...

You can but "The Big One" a version of an old Brazil nut Quality Street, but imagine you parents/grand parents paying 7/- or 8/- for a single sweet ... turn in their Graves, well, them that have died like .... probably ...

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Mint sensations anyone? they had anuvver make... fruit senstations mmmm very fruity and tacky in the middle....if you please? 10p mix up? go down the moor and in the market a lady sells a lot of the old sweets loooovely!

Guest albionphil

Does anyone remember the Nougat and chocolate bar from the 70,s called Triffic.

Who made it and why and when it stopped.

Is it still possible to get hold of it in different parts of the country.

Albionphil

can anyone remember AZTEC it was about as big as a mars bar in a blue wrapper.

or am i really showing my age. lol

chez

Guest alzymer

oooh this has brought back some really odd memories. does anyone remember mint cracknel it was a chocolate bar but with sort of like minty crispy bits my nan used to buy it us every time she came to visit. we also used to have to walk to barnards at the manor top to get my dad some rileys toffe rolls they were lovely so we never minded what the weather was like lol. I also remeber bulls eyes,creamline toffee,and we used to have a little cloth bag with little bitsof sugar coated bubbly in it but cant remember what it was called!!!! barnards was an absloute kids dream for sweets but you dont seem to see many shops now selling sweets out of a jar they are all prepacked which is a shame. storks on mansfield road was another good one to visit for two ounces of floral gums and cherry lips ha ha wow and old joes where the 95 bus terminus used to be on birley moor road.

This brought back memeories of my mum sending me on the tram, from Ravencarr Rd on the lower Manor estate to the Manor top, just to buy her favourite, 'Buttered Brazils' from Barnard's. I think that sweet shop was open 24/7, at least it seemed that way when I was a chabby! She also worked at a petrol station in Darnall, and my dad would heat up one of those Heinz steam puddings, put it in a cloth covered basin, and put me on a tram in the other direction this time, so that mum could have a portion before she got off her shift at night. Needless to say the longer the tram took. the less pudding my mum got!

Guest dawnwearsrebina

CABANA BARS, THEY WERE COCONUT AND BITS OF CHERRIES INSIDE, AND WHAT ABOUT TEXAN BARS , THEY WERE LIKE NOUGAT COVERED IN CHOCOLATE, FANTASTIC!!!!!

Guest laura buckley

CABANA BARS, THEY WERE COCONUT AND BITS OF CHERRIES INSIDE, AND WHAT ABOUT TEXAN BARS , THEY WERE LIKE NOUGAT COVERED IN CHOCOLATE, FANTASTIC!!!!!

I think i may be too young to remember most of these sweeties but my aunty always gos on about texan bars. A while ago (maybe 6mnths - 1year) i remember my uncle fetching her a texan bar. But unfortunatly my aunt was dissapointed, she told me that it was nothing like she remembered. I dont know if you can still get them, but they have been around.

Guest plain talker

can anyone remember AZTEC it was about as big as a mars bar in a blue wrapper.

or am i really showing my age. lol

chez

were the aztec bars replaced by the Double Decker bar?

My dad's fave were the coffee flavoured walnut whips, my mum's faves were either Frys five centres fondant bar, or their dark chocolate with mint (was it the mint creme? Chocolate creme?))

I always saved the coconut wheels (pink and yellow) out of my liquorice allsorts for my granny as they were her favourites.

were the aztec bars replaced by the Double Decker bar?

My dad's fave were the coffee flavoured walnut whips, my mum's faves were either Frys five centres fondant bar, or their dark chocolate with mint (was it the mint creme? Chocolate creme?))

I always saved the coconut wheels (pink and yellow) out of my liquorice allsorts for my granny as they were her favourites.

Aztec's were like a Cadbury's version of a Mars Bar, could not compete with the real thing

Mars Bars used to have chocolate on top of 'em - thicker on top than the sides.

In the early 1960's I worked at Samuel Osborn's and every Friday me and my friend Jim used to buy fish and chips for dinner and a quarter of liquorice torpedoes. :P Do they still sell them? magic

Old Jamaica has been reintroduced, I bought some in Sainsburys t'other day, still tastes as good as it always did!

Chewy Texan bars?

Does anyone remember cheesy criss cross? Twin bars with that soft cheese you get in cheesy footballs down the middle and a cripy criss cross crispy type shell on the outside, round about 1980/81 if I remember.

West Indian Oranges, orange round boiled sweets from a shop in castle market, found a similar sweet called blood oranges at Beamish Museum last time I visited.