Sweets and Chocolate bars of the past !

Sheffield History

Don't think so, the liquorice taste tends to dominate allsorts

If I'm being honest I prefered the girly pink ones to the boy blue ones :unsure:

If I'm being honest I prefered the girly pink ones to the boy blue ones :unsure:

Mmmmmm : that is a bit worrying! :blink:

My favourites were the coconut ones, particularly if you bit off all the coconut around the outside and then left the liquorice middle until last - yum, yum. Oooooops : getting sweet cravings again - have to wait until tomorrow to see if I get any Valentine sweeties lol

My favourites were the coconut ones, particularly if you bit off all the coconut around the outside and then left the liquorice middle until last - yum, yum. Oooooops : getting sweet cravings again - have to wait until tomorrow to see if I get any Valentine sweeties lol

Speaking of coconut, does anyone recall Jap Desserts. Cubes of coconut with different colours on the outside. They were something I only recall having at my grandfather's once a week. Haven't seen or tasted any for years.

Don't get the cravings for both liquorice allsorts and Becketts fish and chips at the same time though suzy, - or you are likely to make yourself sick! lol

Guest chrissie-w

My father used to speak fondly of a sweet called Marrymiquick. A lump of it would keep his mouth and taste buds happy and contented for a long time.

Has anyone else heard of this confection? or is old age and poverty finally taking its toll?

My father used to speak fondly of a sweet called Marrymiquick. A lump of it would keep his mouth and taste buds happy and contented for a long time.

Has anyone else heard of this confection? or is old age and poverty finally taking its toll?

Welcome to Sheffield History chrissie-w

I can't say I have ever heard of any sweets called Marrymiquick.

Their name "Marry Me Quick" seems to come from the same school of marketing as "love hearts" with their love and romance based slogans.

I'm sure someone on here will have heard of them.

Welcome to Sheffield History chrissie-w

I can't say I have ever heard of any sweets called Marrymiquick.

Their name "Marry Me Quick" seems to come from the same school of marketing as "love hearts" with their love and romance based slogans.

I'm sure someone on here will have heard of them.

Maxons

Marry Me Quick

There you go chrissie-w, a quick reply with links to a website that still sells them.

..and now that I've seen a picture of them I do remember them and know exactly what they looked and tasted like.

I still can't remember calling them "marrymequick" though, - perhaps we knew them by another name?

I'm sure that the name used to refer to a larger version of the sweet shown in the Maxons advert. It comprised, I think, of a long snake of marbled toffee folded round into a flat spiral and about 4 inches diameter. I'm sure I've seen them on sale at rock shops at the coast refered to by this name. The Maxon version seems to be a minuture version.

HD

I'm sure that the name used to refer to a larger version of the sweet shown in the Maxons advert. It comprised, I think, of a long snake of marbled toffee folded round into a flat spiral and about 4 inches diameter. I'm sure I've seen them on sale at rock shops at the coast refered to by this name. The Maxon version seems to be a minuture version.

HD

Well at the coast and in a rock shop (eg Blackpool) they would call it "marry me quick" wouldn't they

You're probably already wearing a hat from the shop next door that says "kiss me quick" on it lol

Speaking of coconut, does anyone recall Jap Desserts. Cubes of coconut with different colours on the outside. They were something I only recall having at my grandfather's once a week. Haven't seen or tasted any for years.

I remember Jap Desserts - they were FAB. lol

Can't say I have seen or heard of them for years either. :( Maybe these days, due to political correctness, they would have to be called something else????

I remember Jap Dessets - they were FAB. lol

Can't say I have seen or heard of them for years either. :( Maybe these days, due to political correctness, they would have to be called something else????

All references I can find to Jap Desserts suggests they haven't been made for quite some time. It would appear that jap is an old term for coconut, which would explain the name.

All references I can find to Jap Desserts suggests they haven't been made for quite some time. It would appear that jap is an old term for coconut, which would explain the name.

Hi it looks like they maybe coming back..

Jap Desserts are cubes (a bit smaller than a dice) of coconut coated in a sugery flavoured hard paste these are made using the original recipe that as now been taken over by a another quality sweet maker who will be re-making these classic retro sweets in the same traditional Scottish way using the original recipe.

http://www.allsorts4u.co.uk/Jap_Desserts_-...376_455521.aspx

I remember Jap Dessets - they were FAB. lol

Can't say I have seen or heard of them for years either. :(Maybe these days, due to political correctness, they would have to be called something else????

Japan, being an island nature in the Earths northern temperate zone has a climate very similar to that of Britain, mild and moist. The underlying rocks being of volcanic origin have formed a very fertile ash making the soil very arable leading to an abundance of plants and flora. The Japanese are quite rightly proud of their gardens.

Japan certainly isn't a desert like the Sahari, the Gobi or the Kalahari.

So taken at its most politcally incorrect, the expression "Jap desert" is meaningless and incorrect! lol

Hi it looks like they maybe coming back..

Jap Desserts are cubes (a bit smaller than a dice) of coconut coated in a sugery flavoured hard paste these are made using the original recipe that as now been taken over by a another quality sweet maker who will be re-making these classic retro sweets in the same traditional Scottish way using the original recipe.

http://www.allsorts4u.co.uk/Jap_Desserts_-...376_455521.aspx

Cant say I have yet come across any :( Wonder if they will taste the same or even look the same - if its like everything else that makes a comeback and shrinks in size they maybe "Baby Jap Desserts" he he he he

Cant say I have yet come across any :( Wonder if they will taste the same or even look the same - if its like everything else that makes a comeback and shrinks in size they maybe "Baby Jap Desserts" he hehe he

If they made "Jelly Babies" any smaller would they be "Jelly Embryos" :unsure:

If they made "Jelly Babies" any smaller would they be "Jelly Embryos" :unsure:

he hehe hehe he

Not quite got the same ring to it though has it :)

he hehe hehe he

Not quite got the same ring to it though has it :)

I think "Jelly embryo's " sounds better than "Jelly Foetus's" though ;-)

I think "Jelly embryo's " sounds better than "Jelly Foetus's" though ;-)

Yep - agree with you on that one :rolleyes:

Talking about Jelly Foetus's reminds me of a story of a few years ago, when we were going through the airport at JFK and our daughter had gooey, jellied aliens in a plastic egg-shaped container - needless to say we got stopped and had to explain what they were! They were all the rage at the time to play with - UGH.

Apologies gone off track - need to add that these were toys (in the loosest sense of the word) and not sweets he he

Yep - agree with you on that one :rolleyes:

Talking about Jelly Foetus's reminds me of a story of a few years ago, when we were going through the airport at JFK and our daughter had gooey, jellied aliens in a plastic egg-shaped container - needless to say we got stopped and had to explain what they were! They were all the rage at the time to play with - UGH.

Apologies gone off track - need to add that these were toys (in the loosest sense of the word) and not sweets he he

In America everyone who is a foreign national to them (and that includes Britain) is described as an "alien", - its another one of those words from OUR language which the Americans abuse.

When "foreign" astronauts (which have been British before now) are returned to Earth after a period in the International Space Station they are returned to the USA by the Space Shuttle.

In order to then be allowed into America they need a passport / visa just like everyone else. The immigration people want to know where people are coming to America from and a number of astronauts have had their visa papers stamped with "Alien from outer space" lol

Nowt to do with sweets but a follow on from suzy's experience.

Does anyone remember these 80s sweets/snacks?

Treets - basically peanut M&Ms before M&Ms.

Bitz - dark chocolate bar with pieces of orange or mint flavoured er.......bits.

Pyramint (i think it was called that!) - was a dark chocolate pyramid with a mint fondant centre.

Nerds - school kids fave! a small cardboard box split into two separate compartments containing little random shaped candy. flavours were green apple, red cherry amongst others. i think they were in the news at one point as some of the packs were said to contain glass!?

Fish & Chips - crisps shaped aa fish & chips surprisingly! came in red bags and very nice they were too!

Piglets - puffy pig shaped crisps - all the usual flavours.

Whoahhhh!!!....what a mouth watering topic!

So many memories of long lost favourites.

If you want to obtain some more permament memories of your favourite sweety blasts from the past,

you might like to tuck into one of these very tasty jigsaws.

I bought a couple from the Jigsaw Shop in Meadowhall recently, and they are also available from John Lewis.

A NUX bar anyone ?

Enjoy !...........

Guest SuzyC

What were the toffees called that came in wrappers with a picture of a little girl saying to a cute puppy dog "They are too good for you Spot", think they might have been chocolate covered. Also Merry Maid chocolate covered toffees. Yum.

Don´t forget the Fruit Gums Mum! You could by separate rolls of black or green ones, my favourites. Bought some fruit gums recently and they are not the same at all now, much softer, still suppose it saves the teeth fillings being pulled out!

Five boys chocolate, think it was made by Frys, with the pictures of 5 boys in the chocolate their faces going from crying to laughing.

Also chocolate Kunzle cakes, very sickly but delicious, 6d each.

Not strictly sweeties but I remember Potato Puffs being sold in our tuck shop at school, loads better than crisps.