Sweets and Chocolate bars of the past !

Sheffield History

Does anyone remember a type of toffee that was around in the late fifties, early sixties. Each toffee was about an inch in diameter with a dimple in one face and individually wrapped in greaseproof paper. They were packaged in a paper tube of about ten sweets. I think they were called something like McIntoshes. They were of the harder "suck rather than chew" toffee and very "moorish". They seemed to disappear overnight.

HD

Does anyone remember a type of toffee that was around in the late fifties, early sixties. Each toffee was about an inch in diameter with a dimple in one face and individually wrapped in greaseproof paper. They were packaged in a paper tube of about ten sweets. I think they were called something like McIntoshes. They were of the harder "suck rather than chew" toffee and very "moorish". They seemed to disappear overnight.

HD

I remember them hilldweller,

I don't know what they were called, but McIntosh was the name of the company which made them.

I think they were replaced by Rolo's

A similar design but with softer toffee and chocolate on the outside to hold it together.

I remember them hilldweller,

I don't know what they were called, but McIntosh was the name of the company which made them.

I think they were replaced by Rolo's

A similar design but with softer toffee and chocolate on the outside to hold it together.

I think that Rolo's were already being made at that time DaveH. I have a distant memory as a young child of an old lady who used to visit my grandmother, her sister I think. She always had a tube of Rolo's in her enormous handbag and if I was behaving myself, I was allowed one.

HD

I think that Rolo's were already being made at that time DaveH. I have a distant memory as a young child of an old lady who used to visit my grandmother, her sister I think. She always had a tube of Rolo's in her enormous handbag and if I was behaving myself, I was allowed one.

HD

But would she give you her last Rolo? he he lol

HD

I've just had a look on Wikipedia and apparently they were first produced by Mackintoshes in 1937.

HD

I've just had a look on Wikipedia and apparently they were first produced by Mackintoshes in 1937.

HD

So what were these other toffees made by Mackintoshes called?

I can remember having them but I can't remember what they were called.

Remember if the toffee had gone a bit soft it could be a bit of a job getting that paper wrapper off.

Pardon me if I'm wrong but nobody has mentioned SPANGLES. My staple diet for many years or so it seemed. Joined in later years by Old English Spangles, which were a sort of assorted Winter Mixture flavours. They did vanish overnight and nobody seemed to know why, although they did seem to erode your gnashers at an alarming rate. Another sweet I remember were fruit flavoured Polo's, can you still buy them I wonder ?

HD

HD

Could they have been Toffos

No, I remember Toffos which were a different size. The toffees I remember were about the diameter of Trebor Extra Strong Mints although a little thicker with a dimple in one face. The toffee was hard, a bit like butterscotch. The packaging was similar to Toffos but not as long. I think perhaps they were just called Mackintoshes Toffees. I understand that Mackintoshes toffees are still available as individual toffees sold loose. Perhaps they just stopped producing the roll packaged ones.

HD

Toffo's were similar but flatter and bigger, more like a coin in size and shape, a big coin at that, dare I say "about the size of a half a crown"

Toffo's were similar but flatter and bigger, more like a coin in size and shape, a big coin at that, dare I say "about the size of a half a crown"

No, I think Toffos is right:

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acat...inal_toffo.html

if they were the diameter of a half crown, that'd be a long tube of sweets. I also remember mint toffo quite fondly, but if we're talking toffee, what about cowan and barratt's (?) toffee strips which came in various flavours.

if they were the diameter of a half crown, that'd be a long tbe of sweets. I also remember mint toffo quite fondly, but if we're talking toffe, what about cowan and barratt's (?) toffe strips which came in various flavours.

Toffo's were smaller, about the diameter of an old shilling and just under 1/2 inch thick

if they were the diameter of a half crown, that'd be a long tube of sweets. I also remember mint toffo quite fondly, but if we're talking toffee, what about cowan and barratt's (?) toffee strips which came in various flavours.

Clarifying my own post ... it was McCowans. Cowan and Barrett was a plumbers merchants!

Clarifying my own post ... it was McCowans. Cowan and Barrett was a plumbers merchants!

Did they do "Dainties" toffee about 2"x1"x1/2", in a sort of Green wrapper, sold singularly

Perhaps I shouldn't have dared say that.

Since I have in the following posts the standard by which old circular toffees are measured seems to have become the size of the nearest British pre decimal coin lol

Anyone remember these.

Caramac.

Black Jack chews.

Bazooka bubblies, the one with the tiny comic enclosed.

Chocolate cigs, these were like real cigs in packs.

Texan bars were great, can you remember this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1rOO_QUvk

Caramac had a very pale brown colour to it and a distinctive taste which, like Marmite, you either loved or hated.

Bazooka Bubble gum would have had "Bazooka Joe" as the comic and frequently came with transfers as well. However it was not really as popular with us as theAmerican style TOPPS and A&BC chewing gum which had many notable collections of collectable cards (American Civil war, Mars Attacks, Batman, The Beatles, The Monkees, Battle WW2 to name some of them)

Were the cigarettes chocolate? or just some high sugar content candy?

Can't really remember having Texan bars though.

Next Question,

Anyone remember the sweets you got in a penny (1d) lucky bag?

Due to inflation even in the 1950's and 60's this may have been a 2d Lucky bag or a 3d lucky bag, or even dearer than that.

Caramac had a very pale brown colour to it and a distinctive taste which, like Marmite, you either loved or hated.

Bazooka Bubble gum would have had "Bazooka Joe" as the comic and frequently came with transfers as well. However it was not really as popular with us as theAmerican style TOPPS and A&BC chewing gum which had many notable collections of collectable cards (American Civil war, Mars Attacks, Batman, The Beatles, The Monkees, Battle WW2 to name some of them)

Were the cigarettes chocolate? or just some high sugar content candy?

Can't really remember having Texan bars though.

Next Question,

Anyone remember the sweets you got in a penny (1d) lucky bag?

Due to inflation even in the 1950's and 60's this may have been a 2d Lucky bag or a 3d lucky bag, or even dearer than that.

The cigs were chocolate but had cig paper on them (it was a pain peeling the paper off them)

They were in the american soft type packets similar to the old marlboro packs.

I seem to remember getting flying saucers in my lucky bags also little packs of swizzels? and love hearts.

Also possibly those white sugar cigarettes in a pack you mention.

I loved that chocolate covered cinder toffee, we would buy it loose from the market.

No wonder my mouth is full of fillings lol.

The cigs were chocolate but had cig paper on them (it was a pain peeling the paper off them)

They were in the american soft type packets similar to the old marlboro packs.

I seem to remember getting flying saucers in my lucky bags also little packs of swizzels? and love hearts.

Also possibly those white sugar cigarettes in a pack you mention.

I loved that chocolate covered cinder toffee, we would buy it loose from the market.

No wonder my mouth is full of fillings lol.

Can't remember those particular chocalate cigarettes and I wasn't really a fan of cigarette sweets as a kid anyway.

Quite fortunate really as I have grown up as a life long non-smoker.

Smoking damaged the health and shortened the lives of both my father and grandfather, - its not going to do that to the present generation ;-)

Swizzles, love hearts, toffee, a big gobstopper and some other sweets which were incredibly sour were the mainstay of lucky bags.

Although as the name suggests you could be "lucky" and occasionally got something else.

As for sweets damaging teeth,-

Well, type 2 diabetes apart, I actually can't stand sweet tasting things any more.

All my life up to going to university every tea or coffee I had contained at least 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar.

While I was at university there was some sort of strike which made sugar in very short supply or impossible to get.

Drinks tasted awful at first without it, - but then within a week or two you got used to it

When sugar supplies were finally restored the drinks tasted awful (too sweet) with the sugar in

So the simple solution was to not bother going back to using it again.

Never had sugar in a hot drink since, and have developed an increasing dislike of things with a sweet taste.

So when the diabetic nurse put me on a low sugar diet recently it wasn't that much of a challenge to achieve it really. lol

Guest bangtidy

Anyone remember these.

Caramac.

Black Jack chews.

Bazooka bubblies, the one with the tiny comic enclosed.

Chocolate cigs, these were like real cigs in packs.

Texan bars were great, can you remember this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1rOO_QUvk

Bazooka bubblies, they was great for the jaw muscles.

I used to like the Big Red aniseed chewing gum also.

I remember the Blackjack chews and the toffos, also caramacs.

Along with the Marathons, now Snickers of course.

Also Cherry Balsams always got the tastebuds going.

The fizzy cola bottles and chocolate nibbles and the pear drops, I was very fond of.

Who remembers the bacon Razzle crisps, great indigestion tackle.

Reminds me, is the Simpkins sweet factory in Hillsborough still going?

"For years I used to be a trampoline salesman, on and off".

Bazooka bubblies, they was great for the jaw muscles.

I used to like the Big Red aniseed chewing gum also.

I remember the Blackjack chews and the toffos, also caramacs.

Along with the Marathons, now Snickers of course.

Also Cherry Balsams always got the tastebuds going.

The fizzy cola bottles and chocolate nibbles and the pear drops, I was very fond of.

Who remembers the bacon Razzle crisps, great indigestion tackle.

Reminds me, is the Simpkins sweet factory in Hillsborough still going?

"For years I used to be a trampoline salesman, on and off".

Simpkins are still going strong and adding their heady sweet aroma to the surrounding area.

Products still available in chemist shops, motorway service areas and certain posh shops, look for the round gold coloured tins.

I understand they have come up with a super-sour range, I don't know why, I've only to think about the present government policies to make my lip curl.

HD

Monkey Nuts, no, not you Admin, sweets my Dad always mentioned - must be 1920's. Any memories/links/monkey nuts ?

Isn't monkey nuts just another name for peanuts?

But the ones that are still in their shells.

Probably get their name "monkey nuts" from the old saying about employment, -

"If you pay peanuts you only get monkeys"

Implying that if you offer poor pay then you are only likely to be able to employ poor, unskilled workers.

Guest bangtidy

Monkey Nuts, no, not you Admin, sweets my Dad always mentioned - must be 1920's. Any memories/links/monkey nuts ?

''Monkey Nuts'' yes i remember them also, they was hard with a sweet outer, with peanuts inside if i remember correctly.

They was a favourite of mine, also we can't forget the bon bons and the good old yorkshire mixture.

Its no wonder my teeth are buggered with all this sugar consumption as a child.

"Life is short, and time is swift;

Roses fade, and shadows shift." Ebenezer Elliott.

''Monkey Nuts'' yes i remember them also, they was hard with a sweet outer, with peanuts inside if i remember correctly.

They was a favourite of mine, also we can't forget the bon bons and the good old yorkshire mixture.

Its no wonder my teeth are buggered with all this sugar consumption as a child.

"Life is short, and time is swift;

Roses fade, and shadows shift." Ebenezer Elliott.

Bon bons were a sort of lump of toffee covered with a very loose coating of white icing sugar powder.

Isn't Bon Bon French for good good?