Telephone Box Challenge

Stuart0742

Bottom of Trippet Lane,

are they still there?

image from Google SV

I walked past there last week, and I can't remember.

At the moment I work not far from there so will have to go again.

Reading in the Sheffield Star last night, there's a red phone box for sale for £1 at Wood End Grenoside.

I don't know exactly where this is but the Grenoside Conservation Society have been asked if it is

interested in preserving it. It had only been used three times in the last year.

That would look nice in the garden with my gardening tools stored inside. he he

Guest Dave W

From the November minutes of Stocksbridge Town Council. :angry:

162. Red Telephone Boxes The Clerk reported that she had received correspondence from Paul Gordon requesting the Town Council’s views on the removal of telephone services from some red telephone boxes within the area.

The Clerk was requested to write advising that the Town Council wished to retain the facility at Walders Lane, Bolsterstone in view of the high volume of calls made.

Halifax road/Salt Box Lane.

Langsett road Oughtibridge.

This one on Langsett road Oughtibridge has now gone ,when or where

who knows. :o

I know this is not Sheffield but I spotted it in Boppard, Germany two years ago,

I was there again last week so I thought I'd take a picture.

It is in full working order, it must have been put there for our lads to feel at home.

Telephone Box, Then & Now he he

This seems to be a very common change, - the loss of public call boxes.

I suppose in these days when everyone seems to carry a more convenient personal mobile phone the public call box is rapidly becoming obsolete

there's one in the yard of S&H motors on worthing road just off bacon lane bridge, its been there some time tho its flat (not broken) just looks like a flat pack kitchen. lol i'm sure it might even be for sale if someone enquires. to be honest it looks like either its being forgotten about or its ready for scrap.

there's one in the yard of S&H motors on worthing road just off bacon lane bridge, its been there some time tho its flat (not broken) just looks like a flat pack kitchen. lol i'm sure it might even be for sale if someone enquires. to be honest it looks like either its being forgotten about or its ready for scrap.

Could be for scrap, What are they made from, they look

quite heavy.

Going away from Sheffield again, here's another one in Calais.

Did you know Hull have there own yellow telephone boxes going

in the name of Kingston Communications.

Could be for scrap, What are they made from, they look

quite heavy.

cast iron i think, they look quite tough. :)

Going away from Sheffield again, here's another one in Calais.

Did you know Hull have there own yellow telephone boxes going

in the name of Kingston Communications.

I am sure there is another telephone box thread around here somewhere, possibly started by Stuart0742 (link fairy required) in which the Hull telephone boxes are discussed.

We know a bit about them because after leaving school I went to Hull University and Stuart was training up to be a telephone engineer.

This one looks rather too "yellow", - as I remember them they were a much paler shade, more of a cream colour.

cast iron i think, they look quite tough. :)

Cast iron, containing around 4% carbon from the blast furnace it was made in is quite brittle and is liable to catastrophic fracture.

Steel, which contains a lower proportion of carbon, is stronger and tends to give, bend or stretch before finally breaking.

In my traction engine days it was well known that if you "accidentally" ran over a metal manhole cover (something best avoided), -

If it snapped and broke into pieces then it was cast iron

If it bent and caved in a bit under the weight of the engine then it was steel.

As a telephone box is not required to withstand any large forces it could well be cast iron rather than steel.

After all, there were some houses made of cast iron and we have a thread somewhere about "cast iron houses" (LINK FAIRY REQUIRED AGAIN)

The Lion Foundry, Scotland (established in 1880) - www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk

"Products to come out of the foundry were red telephone kiosks and post boxes"

"When British Telecom stopped ordering red telephone kiosks in 1984 it closed down"

The Lion Foundry, Scotland (established in 1880) - www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk

"Products to come out of the foundry were red telephone kiosks and post boxes"

"When British Telecom stopped ordering red telephone kiosks in 1984 it closed down"

Cast iron then.

Don't hit one of them too hard with a sledge hammer, - it will crack into pieces.

When we had our new bathroom fitted the old bath was made of cast iron, not glassfibre or plastic like the modern ones.

The fitter said it would be too heavy for him to safely carry down the stairs to get it out of the house so he would smash it up with a sledge hammer first.

Amazing how easily such an apparently solid, heavy metallic object could be smashed to pieces.

He put the smashed up bits of bath in the waste skip on the end of our drive but within an hour some local scrap men had been and helped themselves to the scrap iron bath. :o

Good bit of photoshopping Steve :)

Its a FAKE THEN AND NOW :o

It's a PHONEY PHONE BOX PHOTOSHOP PHOTO

{try saying that quickly} lol

Its a FAKE THEN AND NOW :o

It's a PHONEY PHONE BOX PHOTOSHOP PHOTO

{try saying that quickly} lol

It's a gud un. ;-)