THE PINEGROVE COUNTRY CLUB

Sheffield History

Stannington - Sheffield

picture from http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos/loxle.../pinegrove.html

Burned down in the end I think

Did you ever go there, either as a gym member or for a function (I know parties used to be held there in the function room)

I know it used to be a base for the Steel City Striders Running Club too.

I think there was a snooker room, gym, squash court and of course a bar where you could get food ??

Guest coffee cup

I used to work there in the early 80's , weekend lunchtimes.

There were two bars, members side and public side.

Had a good resturant we used to get our Sunday lunch free [Full roast dinner of our choice) excellent.

Public side also had a good juke box.

I remember going in years ago (must have been late 80's) and it was I think the snooker room - never went in anywhere else there..

Also...

21 June 2005

Refusal for homes plan at country club

Planning permission has been refused today for housing on the grounds of the former Pinegrove Country Club.

The plans proposed 58 new homes on the site, which is in the Loxley Valley, in Sheffield’s green belt.

Many local people and groups in the community oppose the plans.

Cllr Ibrar Hussain, Chairman of the West Planning and Highways Board explained: “We’ve refused this application because of the threat to the green belt that the spread of this proposed development would propose. It’s inappropriate and would seriously harm the openness of the Loxley Valley.”

Planning permission was refused by Sheffield City Council’s West Planning and Highways Board on Tuesday 21st June.

Guest wisewoodowl

Stannington - Sheffield

picture from http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos/loxle.../pinegrove.html

Burned down in the end I think

Did you ever go there, either as a gym member or for a function (I know parties used to be held there in the function room)

I know it used to be a base for the Steel City Striders Running Club too.

I think there was a snooker room, gym, squash court and of course a bar where you could get food ??

I'm still a member of The Striders.

I started running from Pinegrove around 1983 on Wednesday evenings and wish I'd got a quid for every mile I've run up and down the Loxley and rivelin valleys from there. We also used to venture over Wadsley Common, Kirk Edge, Wharncliffe Woods, the off-road runs from there were superb.

They used to charge us £1 for a shower if you weren't a Pinegrove member, a lot in the early 80's; they never put the price up right up to it's closure.

Guest mega_monty

Used to go to Pinegrove between 1991 to 1993 when I used to be a student at Loxley college, they had some arrangement with to college so that we could go down and use their facilities. Used to play badminton and squash, sometimes did weights and went on rowing machine etc, then shower and sauna afterwards. Never got charged a £1 for having a shower though :P

Guest daveyboy66

I'm still a member of The Striders.

I started running from Pinegrove around 1983 on Wednesday evenings and wish I'd got a quid for every mile I've run up and down the Loxley and rivelin valleys from there. We also used to venture over Wadsley Common, Kirk Edge, Wharncliffe Woods, the off-road runs from there were superb.

They used to charge us £1 for a shower if you weren't a Pinegrove member, a lot in the early 80's; they never put the price up right up to it's closure.

I used to play for the football team there Mick and was a member up to about 1997. We used to do our pre -season around there every year.

Guest Whelk

It also used to host the most mental Bonfire Nights.Always remember 2 in particular the first being when a car set on fire and the fire engine sent pushing double parked cars out of the way allthe way up the road.And the 2nd when a fire work shot into the crowd a few years later just missing my niece and myself (luckily she was on my shoulders at the time otherwise it would have hit her).

Also I'm sure I read something about them finding some sort of toxic waste being buried on the site after it had burnt down.