Watson Walk

RichardB

When I was a kidda, I was taken to see a film, may just have been The Towering Inferno, early 1970's, we queued for ages along Angel Street, and up a weird concrete Alley, called "Watson's Walk", I remember asking my Mam what that was all about; I recall asking my Mam about it in 2004, a year before she passed away; she (in 1970's) sort of passed the question by; nothing strange, but, she didn't know.

Time passes backwards, like 20 plus years .... <star trek noises> ...... my mind begins to think about things, ...... Now then, I queued for a film at the ABC at Angel street, we queued along the frontage, then up a strange concrete walkway, heading towards Hartsheat, and the Dove and Rainbow, nothing strange yet .....

I recall the concrete tunnel, having a street name "Watson's Walk", I'm about eight, I forget it .....

Time passes, I gain weight and lose hair which has a sensible colour, I read about Sheffield history, and about Hartshead, and Meetinghouse Lane, and Campo Lane, all very related to the aforementioned Watson's Walk, I look at a map from 1780 (posted), I see what appears to be Watson's Walk, I begin to see history ulfolding before me eyes, Still like to know all about a concrete tunnel that retained its name 200 years laters on, so Watsons Walk, go on, you know you can find out everything about it and let me know, go on, go on ....

Richard, shuttup !!!

That definitely rings a bell - not the name but the description of the place..

Describe exactly as you would find it

e.g. walk up the left hand side of the ABC - was it right at the top ?

And is it just my mind or was the wall of that passageway tiled with 1 inch square yellow tiles ?

The Sheffield DOVE AND RAINBOW dates right back to the 17th Century, and is we believe the oldest pub name aside from the Old Queens Head still surviving in Sheffield. The ORIGINAL Dove and Rainbow alehouse stood in a slightly different position close to site of the present Bankers Draft, adjacent to Watsons Walk which linked Angel Street to the High Street via Hartshead. It was destroyed by a fire in 1782, along with the 2 other pubs that once stood in Watsons Walk, and another one was built on the same site shortly afterwards, carrying the same name. It was rebuilt as a rather small and basic public house, in common with many other premises in Sheffield at the time. We know little information about this version of the pub, except that it was destroyed in the 2nd World War blitz, and on the night that many fine City centre buildings in Sheffield were wiped out. Watsons Walk is still there in part, the original narrow passage from Hartshead Square to the High Street, but the other section that passes next to Argos and the Bankers Draft is somewhat wider these days, in redevelopment some decades previous.

It's the walkway down the right hand side of the pub as you look at it..

Is this the passageway that the entrance to the old Stringfellows nightclub 'down broadway' was located ?

It's to the LEFT of the pub as you look at it !!!! Yes, I seem to remember tiles, and a side entrance to the Department Store, and a chip, exposed to the icy blasts as Heathcliffe struggle --- <cue the white van and the straight-jacket, again)

To the left ??

Between the bankers and the dove ?

That's what I originally thought.

Can't remember it there today though?!

More left, more left, the tunnel ran onto Angel Street, towards the Markets, ran between the Department store and the Cinema, people used to queue up the tunnel (yes, it has a slope to it), and out into Hartshead.

So, even though I've never heard of "The Bankers", the tunnel is/was to the left of The Bankers, right in the corner, I think there might have been a multi-storey car-park, then Meetinghouse Lane.

Perhaps Watsons Walk has "moved" ???

He's a chunk of my 1991 A-Z, back then it definately went to Angel Street, does it exist ??

"More left, more left !" he cried ....

I know the place you mean - went up the side of the ABC

But would it then have bent off to the left and down the side of the dove and rainbow ?

(the bankers is the old midland bank on castle square)

Is it the 'tunnel' that goes by the side of Argos (used to be where you queued up when it was the ABC) - sorry, I am getting confused now!

Is it the 'tunnel' that goes by the side of Argos (used to be where you queued up when it was the ABC) - sorry, I am getting confused now!

That's my understanding (although it's been widened now)

It wasn't always just a concrete tunnel .....

and yes, it DID go down the side of the Dove and Rainbow, the left hand side ... :rolleyes:

Does this help 1970's Sheffileld Street to Street

Thanks, it would appear that Watson's Walk extended past the Hartshead junction, Hartshead appears to go around the back of the Dove and Rainbow, and not a single one of the Roads reached Angel Street ! (1849), strange to find an impressive building like Cockings ... who knows ... not me for sure lol

Guest mega_monty

Just had a look in Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield" and it quotes:

Watsons Walk, S1

After John Watson of Watson, Pass and Co Silversmiths, who had workshops in the area in the early nineteeth century.

Just had a look in Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield" and it quotes:

Watsons Walk, S1

After John Watson of Watson, Pass and Co Silversmiths, who had workshops in the area in the early nineteeth century.

Thank You, Mega Monty, further "buggering about" by me today has resulted in much the same conclusion, plus some other stuff; whether its healthy to obsess about long gone alley-ways I'm not sure, but, it was more than a 1960's Arcade ......

My memory may be playing me up and it is years since I been down Angel Street but i think there were TWO 'Arcades'.

The lower one ran up the side of the ABC - contained a couple of exits from the cinema and at the top a dead end apart from a a doorway to the multi - story Car Park. It was more of a tunnel than an Arcade - it was tiled if memory serrves me. On the left hand side were a couple of windows which looked into teh department store, Cockaynes I think.

The other Arcade was higher up Angel Street and at the top entrance to Cockaynes - this lead up to Hartshead and teh Dove and Rainbow

• Like 1

Indeed, more Watson Walk information.

First Last Occupation Address Directory Year

William STANLEY Poulterers and Eating Houses 2 Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Samuel TURNER Spirit Dealers 3 Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Samuel TURNER Brewers 3 Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Laurence SHWERER Watch & Clock Makers (clock) 4 Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Mary WILDSMITH Poulterers and Eating Houses 8 Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Benj. SCHOFIELD Agents (to the Sheffield and Hallamshire Saving's Bank) Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Benjamin SCHOFIELD Auctioneers & Appraisrs Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Edward HOWE Oyster Rooms Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Samuel TURNER Wine & Spirit Merchants Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Ann ASHLEY Taverns & Public Houses (Waterloo) Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

Joseph AVEYARD Hair Dresser and Perfumers Watson Walk Pigot's 1828-9

James FLOWER Fender Manufacturer Watson Walk, Edward Street and Port Mahon Pigot's 1828-9

John FLOWER Fender Manufacturer Watson Walk, Edward Street and Port Mahon Pigot's 1828-9

Paul ASHLEY vict. & spirit mert. Waterloo Tav. 1 Watson Walk White's 1833

Geo. ASKEY poulterer, eating & beer house 2 Watson Walk White's 1833

Lawrence SHWERER German clock maker 4 Watson Walk White's 1833

Thomas HAGUE cut nail maker 5 Watson Walk White's 1833

Maria KEATES poulterer and eating house 8 Watson Walk White's 1833

Joseph NEWBOUND plasterer h. 7 Watson Walk White's 1833

Edward HOWE oyster rooms Watson Walk White's 1833

Joseph AVEYARD hair dresser Watson Walk White's 1833

Geo. WIGFALL brush mfr. Watson Walk & 23 Trippet Lane White's 1833

Samuel TURNER Vict. wine & spirit merchant,wholesale brewer & coffee rooms Watson Walk & Hartshead White's 1833

Josiah SINGLETON lithog. printer Watson Walk; h. Broomhall Street White's 1833

Lawrence SWEARER German clock maker 14 Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Maria KEATS Poulterer & eating house keeper 8 Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Robert COCKING Cabinet maker & upholsterer Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

George ASKEY Poulterer & eating house keeper Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Smith ALFRED Librarian, Mechanic's Library Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

BARBER (& Co.) merchants, factors & manufacturers Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Samuel LUDLAM Newspaper agent Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

BARBER (& Co.) pen & pocket knife manufacturers Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Samuel TURNER Spirit merchant & dealer Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Samuel TURNER Vict. Shades Tavern Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Paul ASHLEY Vict. Waterloo Tavern Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Samuel TURNER Brewer Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Joseph TURNER Attorney Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

Samuel TURNER Wine & spirit merchant Watson Walk Pigot's 1841

PADLEY, PARKIN & STANIFORTH Silver & plated ware manufacturers 1 Watson Walk and 21 Salisbury Street, London White's 1852

Thomas MOORE Bookbinder, machine ruler and account book manufacturer 1 Watson Walk; h. 49 Broad Street, Park White's 1852

Harriet HAGUE straw hat maker 12 Watson Walk White's 1852

John TRITSCHLER German clock maker 14 Watson Walk White's 1852

William WHITMARSH Brewer 15 Watson Walk; h. 29 Orchard Street White's 1852

Thomas RIDGWAY Old book seller &c. 16 Watson Walk White's 1852

George NAYLOR Vict. and spirit merchant, Vine Vaullts 20 Watson Walk White's 1852

Alfred SMITH Librarian to Mechanic's Library 21 Watson Walk White's 1852

Paul ASHLEY Brewer, vict. & India pale ale, wine, spirit &c. merchant, Waterloo Tavern 25 and 26 Watson Walk White's 1852

Thomas WOOD Shopkeeper 4 Watson Walk White's 1852

Hannah SMITH Basketmaker 5 Watson Walk and 17 New Market White's 1852

Wm CARTER Working Jeweller And Goldsmith 6 Watson Walk White's 1852

Samuel TOPHAM Poulterer and butter factor 8 Watson Walk White's 1852

James TASKER French polisher Sands Paviours; h. 12 Watson Walk White's 1852

Robert Gascoigne THOMPSON Solicitor & Commisioner for Oath 1 Watson Walk; h 1 Northumberland Road White's 1911

Watsons Walk, Hartshead 1832.

A long time since this was discussed - came across this drawing 'In Watson's Walk'which is somewhere in Sheffield Art Galleries! by W. Topham 1883. Note the Oyster Rooms possibly the same as listed in Richard's Directory Posting though that wa 50 years earlier.

This a plan of the old Watson's Walk...

The old Dove and Rainbow stood at the end of it facing up Campo lane

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s00828

The narrow jennel below Watson's Walk may be the old Hartshead Passage.

So It did Gramps

This one is also Heartshead

could this be the old Dove and Rainbow or is it a shop?

So It did Gramps

This one is also Heartshead

could this be the old Dove and Rainbow or is it a shop?

Isn't that building with the unusual curved 'feature' above the old Iris newspaper office?