Mystery Clock

Guest skeets

So it has to be closer in to town but it must be the A61 as this is the only main route southwards out of Sheffield.

Must be the Queens Road section then.

Qeens Road, joins up with this road, what is the road,

and where is the building with the dodgy clock?

You will not believe how long this has taken me to find; I knew where it was, I'm just rubbish on navigating ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://maps.google.com/intl/en/help/maps/streetview/mapleft.kml&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=et&utm_source=en-et-na-us-gns-svn

Sharrow Lane/Sitwell Road

Here is a clue, the building was once a bank.

No idea what that link is meant to be; sorry. Can't edit the post "Object error"

1 Sharrow Lane.

London Joint Stock & Midland Bank Limited (1919)

Midland Bank Limited (1925)

James Stacey, Manager in both years.

You will not believe how long this has taken me to find; I knew where it was, I'm just rubbish on navigating ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://maps.google.com/intl/en/help/maps/streetview/mapleft.kml&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=et&utm_source=en-et-na-us-gns-svn

Sharrow Lane/Sitwell Road

Well done, not bad for someone who no longer resides in Sheffied,

former bank now Rossi's Italian restaurant.

Flash Earth

I thought about this one at 6 o'clock this morning believe it or not.

It hadn't been opened very long as a restaurant when I went for a meal, I think we were the

only group in the place. For some reason it lacked atmosphere, I think it seemed cold and

too open. You couldn't get away from the fact that it used to be a bank.

Maybe the decore has changed now after all these years, for the better I hope.

I thought about this one at 6 o'clock this morning believe it or not.

Would that be 6 o'clock real time or 6 o'clock by the dodgy clock lol

Anyway UKL, your avitar seems to have become a red pillar box and telephone box.

Not sure of the significance of that, I was expecting an avitar of a small 4 stringed music instrument.

Here's another one from someone who is always clock watching.

Brought this one forward, I don't think we got an answer to it's location.

I used to number the clocks but I have lost count and lost track of what has been solved and what hasn't.

Now this one looks very dodgy, a blue dial, triangular hour markers but no minute markers, - a type of minimalism that requires you to "guess the time to the nearest 2 minutes"

Looks like quite a modern electric clock, and that wall behind could easily be an internal wall.

It's not the clock on the wall in your office at work is it Steve? <_< Now that would be dodgy! B)

Would that be 6 o'clock real time or 6 o'clock by the dodgy clock lol

Anyway UKL, your avitar seems to have become a red pillar box and telephone box.

Not sure of the significance of that, I was expecting an avitar of a small 4 stringed music instrument.

No no, that would blow my cover to some if they reconized my uke. :ph34r:

I did give a clue.

A blue clock near a red light area.

No no, that would blow my cover to some if they reconized my uke. :ph34r:

So it's not a George Formby autographed body banjolele then, - and they don't come more distinctive than that.

I did give a clue.

A blue clock near a red light area.

Now that creates a problem because having being previously accused of taking pictures of Sheffield from various ladies bedroom windows due to a bit of lens flare from an uncoated Zeiss f2Sonnar lens, I actually, being a happily married man, have little knowledge of the red light districts.

I do know a bit about clocks though.

No knowledge of where Red Light districts are/or, indeed were (though that might be interesting from say, 1850-1900); though I was approached near the Fat Cat in 2007 ...

Now that creates a problem because having being previously accused of taking pictures of Sheffield from various ladies bedroom windows due to a bit of lens flare from an uncoated Zeiss f2Sonnar lens, I actually, being a happily married man, have little knowledge of the red light districts.

I do know a bit about clocks though.

No knowledge of where Red Light districts are/or, indeed were (though that might be interesting from say, 1850-1900); though I was approached near the Fat Cat in 2007 ...

You're in the right area , this is on Shalesmoor somewhere.

The only trouble is , it was taken such a long time ago that I have forgot the name of the company.

I also lost it on my old computer that died but I'm sure someone will find it on Streetgoogle.

Makes me seasick ! Did try, what they have labelled as The Ship, isn't The Ship.

The only trouble is , it was taken such a long time ago that I have forgot the name of the company.

I also lost it on my old computer that died but I'm sure someone will find it on Streetgoogle.

Portland House, Moorfields.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.387442,-1.474643&amp;panoid=6WTue1ifu7qaEU5hAN3PzA&amp;cbp=13,204.16,,0,3.43&amp;ll=53.386446,-1.473831&amp;spn=0.002009,0.00603&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.387442,-1.474643&amp;panoid=6WTue1ifu7qaEU5hAN3PzA&amp;cbp=13,204.16,,0,3.43&amp;ll=53.386446,-1.473831&amp;spn=0.002009,0.00603&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

The company in residence are THUS, part of the Cable and Wireless Group.

Purveyors of communication solutions to Sme's.

HD

I don't think this one has been done yet.

How about it, do you know where it is?

Nice one UKL.

I have lost track of how many of these clocks we have done now. (I used to number them)

Also, since the first one posted by skeets had something "dodgy" about it all clocks since have also been "dodgy in some way.

The dodgy thing about this one is, if recent "mystery" quiz style challenges on the forum are anything to go by every seems to respond by PM rather than just posting their answer.

As this topic is about dodgy clocks I bet someone will send you a PM before mid day when they really should be sending you an AM.

Now don't loose face about this one but do you think that once upon

a time there used to be a clock at the corner of this building?

It's above the Boots shop on West Street. If you go up to it you can see a hole in

the center of the white circle as though something was once attached.

Sorry it's not too clear.

Any ideas what the building was used for before even well before Boots?

According to Pevsner it was built for Boots, in 1906. Steve's dates suggest either Pevsner's wrong, or Boots were already on the site before this building went up. Doesn't say anything about a clock though.

Apparently this was theirs as well, at the bottom of Worksop Road. This one was built for them by the same architect in 1904.

They obviously liked the style!

Picture Sheffield has an image of Boots, 252 West Street, dated 1900 (i.e. that decade). Although the image does not show a great deal other than the shop front It does not look like the current building to me.