Mystery Clock

Guest skeets

Oh yes, I did last night, sworn to secrecy though lol

But no VOX its not near London Rd/ Abbeydale Rd

I drove up and down both today looking for it. (Saddo that I am)

Damn!!!!

I am also sure I have seen it.

Oh yes, I did last night, sworn to secrecy though lol

But no VOX its not near London Rd/ Abbeydale Rd

As it was obviously bugging Stuart I had to reveal the identity of mystery clock number 5 to him but of course that now barrs him from further guesses.

It is a real clock, not a watch or a model and it is currently working and telling the correct time.

As it was obviously bugging Stuart I had to reveal the identity of mystery clock number 5 to him but of course that now barrs him from further guesses.

It is a real clock, not a watch or a model and it is currently working and telling the correct time.

Is it near a pub lol

How stupid am I?

Answer - More stupid than a stupid person.

I knew I knew it.

I mentioned the very building on another thread about a week ago.

PM'd answer to DaveH

Google street view

How stupid am I?

Answer - More stupid than a stupid person.

I knew I knew it.

I mentioned the very building on another thread about a week ago.

PM'd answer to DaveH

Google street view

Not that stupid vox, - you did get the right answer in the end ;-)

It is the clock on "clock motors", the building on the corner of Mansfield Road and Woodhouse Road which has been referred to in another thread.

The clock may look dodgy but some people may consider the businesses below the clock dodgy, - some second hand car salesmen that Stuart0742 had to send his mother round to sort out and it is now a tattoo parlor, not so dodgy but still an occupation with a bit of a shady reputation.

Not that stupid vox, - you did get the right answer in the end ;-)

It is the clock on "clock motors", the building on the corner of Mansfield Road and Woodhouse Road which has been referred to in another thread.

The clock may look dodgy but some people may consider the businesses below the clock dodgy, - some second hand car salesmen that Stuart0742 had to send his mother round to sort out and it is now a tattoo parlor, not so dodgy but still an occupation with a bit of a shady reputation.

Was called Tower Motors in those days

Yes, a small tower on the roof with a cheap looking clock in it, - a clock tower.

Tower Motors -That sounds more like it. I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

Hi vox. Should`nt worry about it if I were you. Twice a week for the last 5 years Ive been passing this place and I never twigged on. Tried to find you an old photo of Tower Motors but this attachment courtesy of R J Wiseman is the best I can do. Regards W/E.

Hi vox. Should`nt worry about it if I were you. Twice a week for the last 5 years Ive been passing this place and I never twigged on. Tried to find you an old photo of Tower Motors but the attachment is the best I can do. Regards W/E.

Thanks W.E

Still working on mystery clock No. 6

In the meantime here is a picture of a VERY DODGY clock, - never could fathom out Salvador Dali's work

For the time being though, as the clock repairer said to the clock, that just about winds it up!

Will come up with mystery clock 6 at some point in the future after quite a bit of Tempus Fugit.

OK, so I like clocks and we own quite a few, more than one in every room.

Thats OK until we have to alter them all between BST and GMT like last night.

Putting the clocks back is always a bigger job than putting them on as some clocks, being a bit dodgy, won't go back 1 hour, instead you have to wind them on by 11 hours, or in some cases 23, and then risk losing the date setting as well.

Took me and the wife over half an hour to alter them all and we always miss a few, the ones in our cars, the timer on the immersion heater, the timer for the lights on the fish tank, the ones on the cooker and microwave, that sort of thing.

Some of the more modern digital radio clocks automatically adjust themselves, as do clocks in mobile phones and computers, which is a bonus.

Hardest and dodgiest clock to adjust is the talking clock on the answer phone, - it talks to you while you are altering it by telling you what you are doing :o

Now altering the clocks twice a year, - thats dodgy.

But as I can remember an experiment in the late 1960's where we didn't alter the clocks and we all went to school in the dark and it didn't get light until about 10am, well that was a lot dodgier.

Must admit that on the Spring-time change this year

I lived in a time warp

and went three days without noticing,

it was brought to my attention one night

when I put the TV on to view the news ..

And it wasn't on :(

Strange thing is my computers always show

the correct time,

but something I never noticed !

Must admit that on the Spring-time change this year

I lived in a time warp

and went three days without noticing,

it was brought to my attention one night

when I put the TV on to view the news ..

And it wasn't on :(

Strange thing is my computers always show

the correct time,

but something I never noticed !

Well there you go then Steve, - there IS something dodgy about clocks.

Hi vox. Should`nt worry about it if I were you. Twice a week for the last 5 years Ive been passing this place and I never twigged on. Tried to find you an old photo of Tower Motors but this attachment courtesy of R J Wiseman is the best I can do. Regards W/E.

This is a better shot of the clock tower from days gone by. Intake Service Station back then: Photo by Bernard Mettam

This is a better shot of the clock tower from days gone by. Intake Service Station back then: Photo by Bernard Mettam

Hey hang on a minute ( lol -time reference ;-) )

I KNOW Bernard Mettam

He was in Sheffield Steam and owned a steam roller with the Carr Brothers (David and John)

Is it the same Bernard Mettam? Where is the picture from?

Hey hang on a minute ( lol -time reference ;-) )

I KNOW Bernard Mettam

He was in Sheffield Steam and owned a steam roller with the Carr Brothers (David and John)

Is it the same Bernard Mettam? Where is the picture from?

The picture comes from Riding the Sheffield Lines, by Bernard Mettam, published by Pickard Communication in 2005. I was a bit naughty and scanned the picture from the book, rather than just referring to it in a post, as I usually do.

According to the book, Bernard Mettam lives in Chesterfield, and I assume is the same Bernard Mettam who is Membership Secretary of the Industrial Railway Society.

The picture comes from Riding the Sheffield Lines, by Bernard Mettam, published by Pickard Communication in 2005. I was a bit naughty and scanned the picture from the book, rather than just referring to it in a post, as I usually do.

According to the book, Bernard Mettam lives in Chesterfield, and I assume is the same Bernard Mettam who is Membership Secretary of the Industrial Railway Society.

It is the same Bernard Mettam,

He lives at Stonegravels, Chesterfield close to the canal which he also has an interest in. He has long been associated with Sheffield Steam and Vintage Club and regularly attended both Sheffield and the ONCA steam rallies.

I didn't know he had written a book but he was interested in all things steam so he could easily be membership Secretary of the Industrial Railway Society. I will have to track his book down. I don't see him much since resigning my membership of the steam club but if I do I may even get a signed copy ;-) Come to think of it last time I saw him was in 2005 at David Carr's funeral :(

Here is a picture of the surviving founders of Sheffield Steam Club (founded 1973) taken at our 25th anniversary rally in 1998

Bernard is the one in the centre of the picture

Left to right, - Eric Stanley, Wright Plant, Bernard Mettam, David Carr, Ernest Dunk

It is the same Bernard Mettam,

He lives at Stonegravels, Chesterfield close to the canal which he also has an interest in. He has long been associated with Sheffield Steam and Vintage Club and regularly attended both Sheffield and the ONCA steam rallies.

I didn't know he had written a book but he was interested in all things steam so he could easily be membership Secretary of the Industrial Railway Society. I will have to track his book down. I don't see him much since resigning my membership of the steam club but if I do I may even get a signed copy ;-) Come to think of it last time I saw him was in 2005 at David Carr's funeral :(

Here is a picture of the surviving founders of Sheffield Steam Club (founded 1973) taken at our 25th anniversary rally in 1998

Bernard is the one in the centre of the picture

Left to right, - Eric Stanley, Wright Plant, Bernard Mettam, David Carr, Ernest Dunk

I thoroughly recommend the book. Interestingly, about half the photos are in colour, and some different locations are shown. It is one of the best Christmas presents I have received in recent years, and the best photographic album of Sheffield trams I own.

It has been mentioned before on the forum, and a picture of the front cover is here

Published in 2005 by Pickard Communication, ISBN 1-905278-00-4.

I thoroughly recommend the book. Interestingly, about half the photos are in colour, and some different locations are shown. It is one of the best Christmas presents I have received in recent years, and the best photographic album of Sheffield trams I own.

It has been mentioned before on the forum, and a picture of the front cover is here

Published in 2005 by Pickard Communication, ISBN 1-905278-00-4.

Thanks madannie, I will look out for a copy of Bernards book.

That guy on the front cover in the transport uniform looks a bit like Bernard :blink:

Thanks madannie, I will look out for a copy of Bernards book.

That guy on the front cover in the transport uniform looks a bit like Bernard :blink:

In the foreword to the book, Mr Mettam states that he is a member of the operating staff at Crich Tramway Village. As the tram is 510 which lives at Crich, it could well be him.

In the foreword to the book, Mr Mettam states that he is a member of the operating staff at Crich Tramway Village. As the tram is 510 which lives at Crich, it could well be him.

Ah...

Its definately the same Bernard Mettam then. He always spent a lot of time working at Crich.

...and as you say it could well be him on the cover, certainly looks a lot like him.

At last we have it!

Mystery Clock number 6

For anyone interested in having a go (I don't know how easy or difficult this one is going to be) here's a little quiz.

Where is this mystery clock?

OK, the clock is no longer there and has been removed / stolen, although its position on this building is still apparent.

As an extra clue (if it is one) I don't know how long the clock has been gone but when it was there it never worked , - certainly not in the last 40 years or so. Locals used to call it "the quarter past seven clock" because its hands had stopped at that time and displayed it for years.

At last we have it!

Mystery Clock number 6

For anyone interested in having a go (I don't know how easy or difficult this one is going to be) here's a little quiz.

Where is this mystery clock?

OK, the clock is no longer there and has been removed / stolen, although its position on this building is still apparent.

As an extra clue (if it is one) I don't know how long the clock has been gone but when it was there it never worked , - certainly not in the last 40 years or so. Locals used to call it "the quarter past seven clock" because its hands had stopped at that time and displayed it for years.

2 weeks on and no takers on this one then?