Mystery Clock

Guest skeets

Perhaps Pevsner's right then (it usually is) and this building was replaced in 1906 by the present one?

When in doubt, it is worth checking out; ' :)

Forum member jimbob55 has taken a couple of photographs, a stone clearly dated 1905.

Possibly a chemists befote The Boots branding ? Eardley & Furnival very nearby ... just a thought.

Picture Sheffield has an image of Boots, 252 West Street, dated 1900 (i.e. that decade). Although the image does not show a great deal other than the shop front It does not look like the current building to me.

252 - 254 West Street.

1901 - Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Limited, druggists.

1925 - Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Limited.

It seems Boots have been there a lot longer than I thought.

The former Boots building in Nottingham, is very similar in apperance to our West Street branch,

and it has a clock .. link to flickr

Thanks Steve , I was convinced there was or should be a clock there.

I wonder if there are any old pictures of the Sheffield Branch with clock anywhere

around. Maybe Boots themselves would have one.

It's remarkable how alike the two buildings are.

Another dodgy clock for your perusal. Looks like the time is half past nine, but the photo was actually taken at 1.45pm today.

Another dodgy clock for your perusal. Looks like the time is half past nine, but the photo was actually taken at 1.45pm today.

Dodgy because the numbers 4,5,7 and 8 appear not to exist.

Looks like the time is half past nine, but the photo was actually taken at 1.45pm today.

If this is a Sheffield clock I take it that you must be visiting "home" for Christmas and the New Year.

Enjoy your visit and a Happy New Year madannie.

If this is a Sheffield clock I take it that you must be visiting "home" for Christmas and the New Year.

Enjoy your visit and a Happy New Year madannie.

"Home" for the New Year this time, Dave.

Yes, it is a Sheffield clock, if something with four numbers missing and displaying the wrong time can be described as a clock.

And another.

Missing numbers as well as being the wrong time. About 1 1/2 hours slow when I took this but it could have stopped altogether.

Very prominent (if you're at the right end of town obviously) but quite high up.

Edit:

Just looked on streetview and it shows a different time so it probably hasn't stopped altogether.

And another.

Missing numbers as well as being the wrong time. About 1 1/2 hours slow when I took this but it could have stopped altogether.

Very prominent (if you're at the right end of town obviously) but quite high up.

Edit:

Just looked on streetview and it shows a different time so it probably hasn't stopped altogether.

I'll have a wild guess to get the ball rolling or clock ticking.

Shoreham Street?

And another.

Edit:

A dodgy dial

3, 7 and 8 are clearly missing.

I suspect the 12 is also misssing as itherwise that would be an over large gap between the 11 and the position of the hand which could be covering the 12 marker.

No idea where it is though.

Looks like Regents Court or have I already said that ?

And another.

Edit:

Looks like Regents Court or have I already said that ?

And another.

Edit:

So this one will be made easy, it's not far away from Regents Court, Bradfield Road.

Funny, no one seems to call them by their proper name, it always seems to get called

Bradfield Road flats.

So this one will be made easy, it's not far away from Regents Court, Bradfield Road.

Funny, no one seems to call them by their proper name, it always seems to get called

Bradfield Road flats.

Got it, knew I had seen that emblem/trade mark before !

Sounds like you've got it too vox.

Its a great pity that the clock owners business philosophy of the 1930s did not rub off on British Industry at the same time. Perhaps if it had we may still have been world leaders in manufacturing etc. W/E.