Toys - what did you have ?

Sheffield History

What toys did you have as a kid ?

I had lots of fantastic things thanks to me mum who bought me loads over the years (although never spoiled me)

My favourites:

Star Wars Figures including at-at, and the at-st walker

Big Trak

Guest coffee cup

I had an Action Girl for Christmas, mine was unusual as they usually had fair hair, mine had black hair.

I remember there wern't a lot of clothes for them in the shops, so I had to make do with clothes meant for sindy Dolls, used to buy them for Redgates or Cole Brothers with my pocket Money.

I have still got her, tucked away together with her horse (which again was a Sindy Horse). My friend had a car for her Action Girl, I was so jelous, I had to make do with one I made out of a shoe box.

LEE MAJORS FALL GUY BROWN TRUCK KIND OF MATCH BOX CAR,STAR WARS FIGURES ASWELL AS ABOUT 18BIN BAGS FULL OF LEGO,WHAT STILL KEEP PICKING UP IN HOOVER TODAY,BUT THEN AGAIN WAS PLAYING WITH IT YESTERDAY

I didn't have any toys which required batteries (well not until I was a big girl anyway! :) )

I think the most sophisticated toys I had were Etch-A-Sketch and Spirograph. I also had a fantastic hand-me-down from my older brother - a Magic Robot.

This involved a small robot type figure holding a metal wand. There were sheets which fitted over the game board with questions on them in several topics - general knowledge, geography etc - which were around a cut out circle on the left, with the mixed up answers around another circle to the right. You inserted the robot into the left hand side and pointed his wand to the question. You then placed him on the mirror in the middle of the right hand side - and he spun around to point at the answer! Magic - and educational!

we had magic robot game n still i find it hard to figure out how it worked it were brilliant better than your derron brown or david blaine & spirographs so many hours of enjoyable cheap excitement just we some pens n weird cogs,thanks for bringing them memorys back

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-14-1176438389.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-14-1176434202.jpg

I still have the car but not the packaging

There was no problem having war toys when I were a lad

Guest pauly1664

Evil Knieval

that brought a few memories back to me..i had the rocket bike too and a big camper van thing too...also had loads of action man stuff aswell....happy days no computer stuff or battery powered rubbish i hate bein grown up

Guest nosy nellie

How things have changed.

I had Film Annuals.Paints.Post Office.Writing and Drawing Pads.

Compendium of Games.Jigsaws.Scooter.Reading Books such as

Little Women.What Katy Did.Treasure Island.Tom Sawyer.

We had to use our imagination in those days.These simple things kept us quiet

for hours.

There was no problem having war toys when I were a lad

Johnny Seven OMA (One Man Army) - I think the only toy I really coveted and made my folk's life a misery until I got one at Christmas. I used to got down the Castle Market with my Mum and at the Waingate entrance there was a toy shop where they had one of these in the window - I used to spend ages just looking at it.

Guest transit

Johnny Seven OMA (One Man Army) - I think the only toy I really coveted and made my folk's life a misery until I got one at Christmas. I used to got down the Castle Market with my Mum and at the Waingate entrance there was a toy shop where they had one of these in the window - I used to spend ages just looking at it.

I too got one of these one Christmas (around 72/73) and played with it for ages - shooting my mates with the red torpedo! Wish i"d still got it now - they are going for around £500 on Ebay!

I too got one of these one Christmas (around 72/73) and played with it for ages - shooting my mates with the red torpedo! Wish i"d still got it now - they are going for around £500 on Ebay!

Yeh. Apparantly Jonathon Ross bought one and it made an appearance on one of last season's shows. I am sure that someone told me he paid £470 for it

My cousin had a metal plate man on a motorbike, it was wound up went forward stopped the man got off. Then he remounted and drove odd again. Only remember seeing the one.

My favourite was Subbuteo but failing that the imaginative game of cardboard football. We made use of those football cards you got with chewing gum. The idea was to use a marble as the ball and to pass it. It had to cross over the other players picture. The goals were out of Meccano with string threaded through the holes for the net.

As a kid in the early 60's I used to spend my pocket money 1/6 or 7and a half p buying a matcnbox car.I started at number 1 and went through to 100 and something.Wish I still had them now.

Guest shezza91

Evil Knieval

Superb, I was goin to add this to the thread but you beat me to it.

We used to make a ramp with our Ladybird books.

Also had a six million dollar man action figure.

He had a bionic eye that you could look through (only problem was it made things look further away). Also had a bionic arm, you rolled up the rubber skin on his arm to reveal the "bionics" and he used to lift up an engine I think it was by pressing a button on his back.

Anyone else remember him??

strangely enough my mother in law used to be the manageress at this toy shop when my hubby was a child. lol

Guest transit

strangely enough my mother in law used to be the manageress at this toy shop when my hubby was a child. lol

I remember this toy shop - it was on the left on the bottom floor (under Harringtons clothes shop) as you entered from the Waingate side entrance.

I remember this toy shop - it was on the left on the bottom floor (under Harringtons clothes shop) as you entered from the Waingate side entrance.

That's the one! - not a huge place as I recall, but coming up to Christmas they always had some real cool toys in the window. It's a sign of the times that back when I was a kid my Mum could leave me quite happily looking in the window while she popped into the Meat and Fish Market, safe in knowledge that I would still be there when she came out - I guess I would have been about 9 or 10.

That's the one! - not a huge place as I recall, but coming up to Christmas they always had some real cool toys in the window. It's a sign of the times that back when I was a kid my Mum could leave me quite happily looking in the window while she popped into the Meat and Fish Market, safe in knowledge that I would still be there when she came out - I guess I would have been about 9 or 10.

thats the one my hubby was saying he got his chopper bike from there one christmas and was the first kid on his estate to own one.

All you showoffs with your posh toys when i was a kid we had to make our own fun no fancy toys, Well apart from these two i had forgot about you must excuse me being in the picture trying to figure out how you switch on the big round thing.

Thats better a more modern form of Transport that will show those other kids with their fancy toys.

i remember having the operation game when i was a kid. i bought it for my son back in the 1980s and if i remember rightly bought it again in the late 1990s for my daughter :unsure: :unsure:

Guest Genie602

Hi,

I remember Spirograph and Etch a Sketch, Sindy dolls, simple board games like snakes and ladders, ludo and draughts, a rocking horse bought for my eldest sister and then passed down the generations. I also remember the Magic robot! I am sure we had more imagination than kids of today, we used to play for hours - half of today's kids can't amuse themselves.

Genie 602