You know you were a child of the 80's when...

Sheffield History

You know you were a child of the 80s when.....

* You never questioned why the A-Team were always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank.

* Dungeons & Dragons was your favourite cartoon.

* Your lunch times were spent perfecting swan dives and backspins.

* You fell out with friends during heated arguments about the relative merits of Matt & Luke.

* You owned, or wanted a "Frankie says..." T-shirt.

* You have ever danced (or even worse cried) to Kylie & Jason.

* Cerise pink, electric blue and banana yellow have ever featured in your wardrobe or make-up collection.

* You ever did the top toggle of your coat up around your neck without having your arms in the sleeves, and knew you looked like a super-hero.

* You remember when the A-Ha video was the pinnacle of modern technology, and you can still sing all the words.

* Parachuting Action man was your favourite toy.

* Your best party dress was either a ra-ra or puff-ball skirt.

* You ever owned a thin, black leather tie (and were proud of it), or worse it was patterned like a piano.

* You wondered why a popular kids TV programme told you to "Turn off your TV set and go and do some less boring instead".

* You wanted to be either Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

* You ever said "It's my ball, and if I can't be Kevin Keegan I'm going home!"

* You remember the aerobie scare.

* You have ever po-goed or space-hopped.

* You remember when Keith Chegwin & Maggie Philbin were the hottest romantic couple.

* You wondered why your walkie-talkie didn't have the same range as those in the Red Hand Gang.

* You were shocked by the controversial plot lines in Degrassi Junior High.

* You tried to set up a "Famous Five" or "Secret Seven" gang with your school friends.

* You tried to convince your Dad to fit a strip of red lights on the front of his Capri so it looked like KITT.

* "Ca-vey Wa-vey!" means anything to you.

* You ever had more than 10 sweets in a 10p mix-up.

* Not only did you wear luminous clothing, but they were mismatched fingerless gloves and towelling socks.

* You remember when Betamax was at the cutting edge of technology.

* Conveyor belts regularly carried washing machines, deep-fat fryers and a cuddly toy.

* You could have got away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

* (Girls) You owned a pair of Pixie Boots, generally worn with leg warmers.

* (Boys) You owned a pair of pale grey slip-ons, generally worn with white towelling socks.

* Shiny grey flecked suits.

* You rolled the sleeves of your suit jacket up

* Ooh, you could crush a Grape!

* You went to school with Pogo Patterson, Gripper Stebson, and Ro-land.

* Fingermouse.

* You were proud of your picture appearing in the Gallery.

* You remember Look In magazine, and when it was only 20p

* You wondered why you and your mates never encountered diamond thieves whilst out on your BMXs.

* No 73?

* You can remember what Quatro tasted like.

* Your best mate had a soda stream at home and you were jealous

THA NEW THA WAS A KID IN 50s WHEN THA CAN REMEMBER PLAYING

HOP SCOTCH,HIDDY,KICK CAN, DELEEVO, SKIPPING,COWBOYS AND INDIANS,FLASH GORDAN,FOOTBALL WITH A TENNIS BALL, RING AROUND A ROSES,DIPPING TO SEE WHOSE ON (EENY MEENY MINY MO).MARBLES (WHITH HIGH KNEES,LOW KNEES ECT), AND DARES.THIS COULD BE OWT BUT ONE OF MY FAVOURITES WAS TYING A PIECE OF STRING TO THE DOOR KNOCKERS OF THE MIDDLE TWO HOUSES OF A FOUR BLOCK, AND PULLING THE PIECE OF STRING SO THAT BOTH KNOCKERS WENT OFF TOGETHER,AND RUN DOWN THE ENTRY. ONE PERSON WOULD ANSWERE THERE DOOR,THEN THE OTHER ONE WOULD,WHICH WOULD CLOSE THE OTHER DOOR. REALISE THE DANGER NOW BUT NOT THEN WE HAD NOWT ELSE TO DO BUT WE WERE NEVER BORED.PLAYED CRICKET WITH PIECE OF WOOD OFF A TOMATO BOX AND WEER EVER THA WENT THA WOULD SEE THREE LINES DRAWN DOWN WALLS. STILL THINKING

I've completely forgotten the Eighties, think I was in the pub that decade, meant to be at University, but mainly the pub - Sheffield only until 1981 (Queen's, Scotland Street; Lambpool, Attercliffe; Saddle, West Street; Raven, off West Street every other pub I could find), then Newcastle upon Tyne .....

The queens on Scotland Street - is that the one at the top of the hill up the road next to the police station ?

I'm not quite a child of the eighties more of a youth, and here in all it's glory an original complete with creases from years stuffed in a cardboard box!!!

Eeek. didnt like that list. I remember too much. Along with the pixie boots I had the Bananarama two piece little grey number with a short ra ra skirt. I must have looked stupid with the boots. he he

The queens on Scotland Street - is that the one at the top of the hill up the road next to the police station ?

If it's the same pub that i remember?, it had a snooker table in it.

The pub was in the called 'three quarter league' for local pubs with under the full regulation sized snooker tables.

But the table in the pub was not a true 3/4 but a bastard size, can't remember exactly but seem to think it was smaller than a three quarter table. Another pub i remember in that league with a bastard size table was The Sheaf House on Bramall Lane, the table in there was lager than a three quarter.

* You went to school with Pogo Patterson, Gripper Stebson, and Ro-land.

Yes I did..sort of. My mate Ian Patterson was and always will be, to us, Pogo.

The only person other than his family not to call him Pogo, was my much missed Grandad, who for some inexplicable reason seemed to get his name wrong every time he said it, and come up with a different version every time!!

We had, Pingu...Podeller...Pingo....Pongo..etc

* You remember Look In magazine, and when it was only 20p

Oh how I loved my Look in.

I had got some blue tac (the cheap pnik copy of blue tac though) and posted up on my wall the pictures every week..my favourite was the bird out of Bucks Fizz...not the one we see on the telly from time to time..the other one.

The other thing about Look in was, there was always an advert in the front for Unigate Dairy's LONG LIFE MILK.

I being in the north east where we still had tin baths hung on a nail in the yard and stuff had never heard of this amazing moo juice and though if I ever left Durham and went to live in London I would buy that milk that made you live for ever!

* No 73?

OH How I loved this.

I still like listening to Sandy Toskvic on the radio now but to me she will always be the woman off No 73 not the leftie lesbian from Excess baggage and the News Quiz.

One more for you....

Who remembers the Wide Awake Club..

.....Its saturday, no school today so what you're gonna do

Theres no excuse for staying in bed,

We're waiting here for you.

Bring back Timmy Mallet, all is forgiven.

No.

Hold on.

That last bit was a lie.

sorry

Guest busy lizzy

The eighties were the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haircut 100, soft cell, Adam ant, wow

Today's music is just a noise,eighties music had words and meaning

When you had to get up, off your backside to change TV channels!

You developed RSI just tuning the damned TV channels manually!

It took a dog's age to set the video player/recorder!.....Either Betamax or VHS!

You spent half an hour queueing outside in freezing gales to use a phone box!!

oooh! like this thread.....

• The scariest part of living in the eighties - the testing of the air raid sirens
  • Godzilla & Godzuki
  • You were a nobody at school if you didnt own a head bag or a pair of Adidas Samba's.
  • Hoping I'd get an AT-AT for Xmas but having to settle for an X-Wing
  • Summer holiday TV - Pink Panther, The Monkees, Why Dont You?, The red hand gang
  • Holidays spent at Robin Hood Camp, Chapel St Leonards. "Robin Hood camp, Robin Hood camp, Maaaaaaid Marion Club"
  • Diving for a black brick in my PJ's
  • Queens Road skates
  • Spending a small fortune collecting Panini stickers
  • Getting to stay up late watching Sportsnight - as a Blade always remember the Wednesday vs Everton FA cup marathon
  • Sega master System
  • The Flumps, Metal Mickey, Small Wonder, He-Man
  • Xmas Eves spent at Padley & Venable WMC

oooh! like this thread.....

• You were a nobody at school if you didnt own a head bag or a pair of Adidas Samba's.

Haha,

i bought some Adidas Samba last year and am after a new bag for work and was looking for a Head bag.