Sheffield / Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet

Guest skeets

Guest skeets

g For any member who has not see this restoration [if its still open ], funding was low at one time, it is worth a visit,depicting all kinds of machinery and production at that era

Three oil paintings of steam engines at the Hamlet by Sheffield artist L. Cornthwaite

Abbeydale Steam

Steam at the Hamlet

Steam at the Hamlet 2

Three oil paintings of steam engines at the Hamlet by Sheffield artist L. Cornthwaite

Abbeydale Steam

Steam at the Hamlet

Steam at the Hamlet 2

What a brilliant set of paintings ukelele lady.

The first one shows the Fowler DN1 road roller belonging to my old friend Les Donn Jnr. of Thurgoland with a 4" scale steam wagon owned by the Lygo family (friends of the Donn's) from Chapeltown

The other 2 both show a pair of Fowler engines, the front one, with a canopy headerboard reading "Kelham Island Heavy Haulage" is a Fowler A4 owned by Jim Smith and the one behind is Fowler owned by anothe friend of mine, Andrew Biglands, - in fact that looks remarkably like Andrew stood on the footplate!

The only difference between these last 2 picture seems to be the man stood towards the rear of Andrews engine (Have I won the "Spot the difference" competition? lol )

It is a great testament to the artist that I can immediately identify these vehicles, without having to look up details, just from the painted images.

Having got a picture on my bedroom wall of Norfolk Bridge by L. Cornthwaite (the August image from this years SH calendar) I was already a fan of his work. Having seen these I would now say he is my favourite of the Sheffield artists.

Thanks for sharing these ukelele lady, I hope to see them on the 2012 SH calendar.

What a brilliant set of paintings ukelele lady.

The only difference between these last 2 picture seems to be the man stood towards the rear of Andrews engine (Have I won the "Spot the difference" competition? lol )

It is a great testament to the artist that I can immediately identify these vehicles, without having to look up details, just from the painted images.

Having got a picture on my bedroom wall of Norfolk Bridge by L. Cornthwaite (the August image from this years SH calendar) I was already a fan of his work. Having seen these I would now say he is my favourite of the Sheffield artists.

Thanks for sharing these ukelele lady, I hope to see them on the 2012 SH calendar.

There is also another difference between the two pictures. On one of them you can see the artist himself

stepping out of a building [ toilets? ]. Just like Hitchcock used to have a cameo role in all his films, this artist

always gets in on the picture. ;-) lol

There is also another difference between the two pictures. On one of them you can see the artist himself

stepping out of a building [ toilets? ]. Just like Hitchcock used to have a cameo role in all his films, this artist

always gets in on the picture. ;-)lol

It seems that both those characters near the toilet building have disappeared in the second picture.

The one stood in the doorway does look like a typical "artist" doesn't he?

Guest skeets

Abbeydale Hamlet painted by me many years ago, from a black and white in the Star,

perhaps someone would contact them to compare, l visulised the colours

Abbeydale Hamlet painted by me many years ago, from a black and white in the Star,

perhaps someone would contact them to compare, l visulised the colours

Hi skeets,

Seems quite a while since we last heard from you so I hope you are keeping well out there in France.

Seems a very nice painting you have done of the Hamlet.