Electric Tram Number 1

RichardB

Electric Tram No. 1

I've no idea whether this has been posted before, or whether it's new to the Site. Just thought I'd post it and let a known-up pass comment.

The picture is very large (2Mb, so if any picture experts want to, they can have a mess around).

I have deliberately not said where the Tram is, that's for you lot to do. (The location of the second picture is not known).

Now, where are Trams 2, 3, 4 ...

Electric Tram No. 1

I've no idea whether this has been posted before, or whether it's new to the Site. Just thought I'd post it and let a known-up pass comment.

The picture is very large (2Mb, so if any picture experts want to, they can have a mess around).

I have deliberately not said where the Tram is, that's for you lot to do.

The 1st photo is a well known Sheffield street, should be easy, the 2nd one not much to go on

The 1st photo is a well known Sheffield street, should be easy, the 2nd one not much to go on

Should have said, second photo is there for interest only. No indication of where it was taken.

Guest Falls

Electric Tram No. 1

I have deliberately not said where the Tram is, that's for you lot to do. (The location of the second picture is not known).

Don't know where Photo No.2 was taken but Photo No.1 was taken at the bottom of the Moor or South Street Moor as some prefer to call it. The posts and railings on the right were across the front yard of Brunswick Methodist Church. The building was still around in my youth (it was Graham's ? furniture store/warehouse). It was eventually demolished to make way for St Mary's Gate.

The layout of the track work is interesting. I'll stick my neck way-out and say the straight track from the Moor lead up London Road but the turnout was for Cemetery Road, not Ecclesall Road. Can't remember when trams were introduced on Ecclesall Road. When they eventually did connect Eccesall Road, it was a very tight turn. I think the overhead wires could not be on poles but the support wires were in fact fastened to the front of the buildings shown on the left. SCT didn't do this very often but in some places, they had no choice.

OK Destroy my argument.

Regards

Guest Falls

This photo (tram No3) was at a location called "The Moor Head" . It was where the Moor joined Pinstone Street. On the right of the tram would be the memorial, with column, to the Crimea War.

In present day geography, it would be just about where Furnival Gate (?) crosses the Moor. The tower you can see beyond the tram (in the smog) is St Pauls Church. Now the "Peace Gardens".

Regards

Guest Gramps

The photo of Car No. 1 was taken at Tinsley terminus.

I meant to post a bit more info on that photo of Tram No 1.

It seems to be part of a larger photo that appears in Charles Hall's Sheffield Transport.

The caption reads, "The opening ceremony of the Nether Edge and Tinsley tramway, 5th. September 1899. The official party poses in front of car N0. 1 at Tinsley. "

I presume the chap in the top hat on the left is the Mayor wearing his chain of office.

Guest Falls

Members .. Gramps & Falls,

I have moved your posts to the Duncan Gilmours Topic

Hope you don't mind.

Steve

ps (no objections, just thought it would be a better area for your contributions)

No problem. I was also going to apologise about the thread-drift but Gramps beat me to it.