Cobbled Streets

vox

I was born at Jessops but my family lived at No. 30 (just out of shot) ...

I don't suppose that was the corner one with the large outbuilding or garage. Just below the edge of the photo, on the right? If so, that's where I was at the time I photoed it. :)

Link to Map #241

Well I'm certainly not a grown-up (just grown old) but I can tell you that in my 1942 Kelly's directory the lane that you mention is called Bradfield Place. I mentioned it in my post on the Hillsborough Corner post. I spent many winter evenings mooching around the place. If you were hungry and couldn't afford a thrupenny bag of chips from Gordons chippy on Taplin Road at least the overpowering smell of new-baked bread from the Don Bakery helped to assuage your hunger !

I don't suppose that was the corner one with the large outbuilding or garage. Just below the edge of the photo, on the right? If so, that's where I was at the time I photoed it. :)

I was very young at the time ! A week old maybe; memories are vague !

Number 30 was just part of the row of terraces, no room for "stuff". Was approximately where the junction with Birkendale was, i.e. the road to the left. We next lived at 12 Birkendale, a big move up the scale; now two houses occupy the site.

A bit off topic but thought I'd stick this one in ..
a cobbled Street, cobbled pavement and crozzle topped wall.
It's in the Park area taken around 1960,
could it be South Street, looking down on Sheaf Street?
Or maybe it's nearer to Broad Street.

(sorry the quality of the photo isn't brilliant)

It's Bungay Street Goes (went) between South Street and Granville Street. Norwich Street comes in from the Right. Map 4 shows it.

jiginc

PS Seem to have lost the picture not sure why I pressed Quote!! It's from post #88

I don't know much about disable parking but are the disabled allowed to park on double yellows

as they always seem to do so?

Yes they are allowed to park on yellow lines provided that there are no loading restrictions in place at that time, indicated by lines on the kerb edge and notices. Also they should not park where they might cause an obstruction. Unfortunately I am in a position to know about such things and sincerely wish I wasn't. It's something I was born with and not bought about by something I shouldn't have been doing.

This is er, well I couldn't find the name of the lane not even on two

old maps but it's in between Howard street and Charles lane.

Nice one Vox, I'd forgotten that one.

Harry Halibut link

All the years I've lived around and worked around there, I didn't even know it existed. I drive up or down Burnaby Cres at least once a week and I've never noticed it. :)

If it hadn't been for my looking at Walkley house, then at the school opposite, I still would be none the wiser.

Just a memory of a strange Street name to me; I wonder what buildings were on there ? Nothing showing anywhere so far.

There's one largeish un-named one on the 50's map. The others look like they're on King Jame's Street.

There's a link to the map on post 136

I took these views from Majuba Street the other day.

Have we had this one? Would be in good condition but for some Utility vandals.

Warren Street - off City end of Attercliffe Road

Have we had this one? Would be in good condition but for some Utility vandals.

Warren Street - off City end of Attercliffe Road

That one's a real shame.

They're still fitting lots of new block paving all over Sheffield.

Surely when this is dug up for maintenance they don't just dump some Tarmac in the holes.

Why do they need to do it with the old sets?

I might look into asking someone.

Another one at Attercliffe

No name that I can see but it is off Attercliffe Road near the Horse and Jockey.

Between Shirland Lane and Baltic Road.

Another one at Attercliffe

No name that I can see but it is off Attercliffe Road near the Horse and Jockey.

Between Shirland Lane and Baltic Road.

OS map shows it as Baltic Ln

OS map shows it as Baltic Ln

Thanks Stuart, I was intending to get round to looking on the OS eventually. :)