Cobbled Streets

vox

Related Question:

What is the meaning of double yellow lines painted on the road?

Answer:

Not necessarily No Parking at any time.

Although normally taken to mean so, the lines actually mean Read the nearby notice.

There was (and may still be) an example of this in Dore Village where the notice allowed parking on some double yellows on Sundays.

I'll have a look sometime to see if it's still the same.

Reason for edit: This from The Highway Code

Waiting restrictions

Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs

that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions.

I don't know much about disable parking but are the disabled allowed to park on double yellows

as they always seem to do so?

Not in so good condition - lane leading up to Brightside Railway station by the Crown Pub.

Pitsmoor by the old National School across road from Tollgate Pub

That's a really nice one Dunsbyowl.

-----------------

Re: the one at Brightside - I think I asked earlier why there seems to be a disregard for doing repairs which are in keeping. The council can't make the "COST" excuse because they're laying loads of new sections of block paving all round the city. Just the modern equivalent really. Should we expect these to be repaired with patches of tarmac when the time comes?

Pitsmoor by the old National School across road from Tollgate Pub

Brandon Street. In 1967 we nearly bought a house for £400 on the next Street below, could it have been Lime Street? there was a chip shop on the corner. W/E.

Brandon Street. In 1967 we nearly bought a house for £400 on the next Street below, could it have been Lime Street? there was a chip shop on the corner. W/E.

Pitsmoor Terrace. Thanks to Sheffield History maps.

Seems like as good a place as any to put this observation.

Something which has always puzzled me and here's the evidence. Maybe someone can explain.

When is a pothole not a pothole?

I've lived on the same street for a long time now and seen the council come and paint coloured boxes around the potholes. (Or at least some of them.) Then sometime or other after that, someone comes and fills in some of the marked ones (but not all) and some of the ones which were not marked. At one time I remember having yellow boxes painted down the whole street which went unrepaired for a year. Finally someone else came along and painted over some of them in blue along with some new ones.

I wonder how they decide which ones to outline, and then which of the outlined ones to repair and which not.

Seems like as good a place as any to put this observation.

Something which has always puzzled me and here's the evidence. Maybe someone can explain.

When is a pothole not a pothole?

I've lived on the same street for a long time now and seen the council come and paint coloured boxes around the potholes. (Or at least some of them.) Then sometime or other after that, someone comes and fills in some of the marked ones (but not all) and some of the ones which were not marked. At one time I remember having yellow boxes painted down the whole street which went unrepaired for a year. Finally someone else came along and painted over some of them in blue along with some new ones.

I wonder how they decide which ones to outline, and then which of the outlined ones to repair and which not.

I am sure I have seen it in print somewhere that the roads in Sheffield are in the worst state of repair of any large town in the country, and have been for many years.

ANOTHER DISGRACE

There is also a story, truth not fully validated and quite a few years old now, that when it was raised at council in town hall about the state of the roads in the City the councillor then in charge of public highways, one very well known Councillor David Blunkett answered the questions on this subject but merely saying

"I can't see what's wrong with the roads"

He probably got a laugh or two for this personal pun on his own visual impairment, but such a flippant dismissal of the issue probably more accurately reflects how little the Council care about the problem.

After all, the repair and maintenance of highways costs a lot of money, and at the alleged time of this remark the Council had recently squandered vast sums of ratepayers money on the 1991 World Student Games so had little to spare for roads.

Now if YOU were balancing the budget and it was either road repairs or student games which would you choose?

I know which I would choose!

I am sure I have seen it in print somewhere that the roads in Sheffield are in the worst state of repair of any large town in the country, and have been for many years.

ANOTHER DISGRACE

There is also a story, truth not fully validated and quite a few years old now, that when it was raised at council in town hall about the state of the roads in the City the councillor then in charge of public highways, one very well known Councillor David Blunkett answered the questions on this subject but merely saying

"I can't see what's wrong with the roads"

He probably got a laugh or two for this personal pun on his own visual impairment, but such a flippant dismissal of the issue probably more accurately reflects how little the Council care about the problem.

After all, the repair and maintenance of highways costs a lot of money, and at the alleged time of this remark the Council had recently squandered vast sums of ratepayers money on the 1991 World Student Games so had little to spare for roads.

Now if YOU were balancing the budget and it was either road repairs or student games which would you choose?

I know which I would choose!

Looking through this topic some of the Cobbled streets are in a better condition than our normal roads!

Looking through this topic some of the Cobbled streets are in a better condition than our normal roads!

A SCIENTIFIC TEST

You drive down the cobbled streets and I'll drive down the normal streets and we'll see who's suspension drops to bits first!

Actually we need a third volunteer for this to drive down all the well maintained streets that have needlessly been fitted with speed bumps and speed calming measures to see if these are any worse.

I think that some of these "speed bumps" are so badly designed, fitted and positioned that even going over them at very low speeds can cause damage to car suspensions, - and I know of a couple that few "normal" cars can drive over without grounding the exhaust pipe or some other bit of the cars underside on.

But can anyone throw any light on what the system is ?

Some outlined, some not. Some repaired some not.

I'm baffled.

Speed bumps are one of the most stupid ideas ever invented. They make great launch pads for so called "joy riders" to launch their stolen cars off. At best they just encourage people to speed up in-between them. They're another example of all us "reasonable people" having to suffer for the few -*-*- who won't drive at a speed suitable for the situation.

Soap box passed back to whomsoever.

P.S.

If I drive up Burton Street at about 15-20 MPH (Reasonable I think for any narrow street) It's quite an acceptable ride. Any faster and it's uncomfortable. Therefore - Cobbles = natural traffic calming. (Obviously not counting the "Joy Riders" - A 12 bore would calm them.)

Mary Street, S2.

Runs parallel in between St Marys Rd & Matilda St.

It still has a few old factories and workshops left standing,

some are stood derelict and waiting,

while others have been renovated and used as flats, offices or for local businesses.

Link to Google SV

But can anyone throw any light on what the system is ?

Some outlined, some not. Some repaired some not.

I'm baffled.

Speed bumps are one of the most stupid ideas ever invented. They make great launch pads for so called "joy riders" to launch their stolen cars off. At best they just encourage people to speed up in-between them. They're another example of all us "reasonable people" having to suffer for the few -*-*- who won't drive at a speed suitable for the situation.

Soap box passed back to whomsoever.

P.S.

If I drive up Burton Street at about 15-20 MPH (Reasonable I think for any narrow street) It's quite an acceptable ride. Any faster and it's uncomfortable. Therefore - Cobbles = natural traffic calming. (Obviously not counting the "Joy Riders" - A 12 bore would calm them.)

Fully endorse these comments made by vox so I don't need to borrow the soap box

As far as I was aware from other posts in another thread the soap box lives in a certain members shed (vox? Tsavo?)

A SCIENTIFIC TEST

You drive down the cobbled streets and I'll drive down the normal streets and we'll see who's suspension drops to bits first!

Actually we need a third volunteer for this to drive down all the well maintained streets that have needlessly been fitted with speed bumps and speed calming measures to see if these are any worse.

I think that some of these "speed bumps" are so badly designed, fitted and positioned that even going over them at very low speeds can cause damage to car suspensions, - and I know of a couple that few "normal" cars can drive over without grounding the exhaust pipe or some other bit of the cars underside on.

A cobbled street in good condition is a smooth ride (ish) :) , just think how long they have been down. A lot of problems with cobbled streets is where they have been dug up and relaid badly.

Guest Gramps

As a cyclist of the 1940/50s I don't remember cobbled streets being much of a problem....

...providing you stood on the pedals rather than sitting on the saddle :blink:

As a cyclist of the 1940/50s I don't remember cobbled streets being much of a problem....

...providing you stood on the pedals rather than sitting on the saddle :blink:

Most (bad) cyclists these days tend to ride on the pavements anyway.

Fed up of having THEIR lives threatened by thoughless motorists instead THEY chose to ride on the pavement and threaten the lives of pedestrians and harmless old women instead.

Hence the craze in Sheffield for those badly placed red tamac "psycopath cycle paths"

I really don't like those "psycopath cycle paths" at all, they are badly placed relative to traffic and pedestrians, encourage cyclist to ride recklessly as they consider it to be their divine right of way at all times and often put the cyclist in more danger than just cycling on the road.

Other cities don't seem to have them (or at least not as many), so why do we have to suffer them?

Fed up of having THEIR lives threatened by thoughless motorists instead THEY chose to ride on the pavement and threaten the lives of pedestrians and harmless old women instead.

Hence the craze in Sheffield for those badly placed red tamac "psycopath cycle paths"

I really don't like those "psycopath cycle paths" at all, they are badly placed relative to traffic and pedestrians, encourage cyclist to ride recklessly as they consider it to be their divine right of way at all times and often put the cyclist in more danger than just cycling on the road.

Other cities don't seem to have them (or at least not as many), so why do we have to suffer them?

I didn't notice the soap box was missing from my shed. :)

Here here! Dave.

I heard that SCC were given an EU grant providing certain criteria were met. One of which was to provide X miles of cycle paths. Those stupid red bits apparently qualify as such, and are obviously a cheaper option than proper ones.

Red tarmac cycle paths - I don't know about them, though I can hazard a decent guess. Please inform me.

I didn't notice the soap box was missing from my shed. :)

Here here! Dave.

I heard that SCC were given an EU grant providing certain criteria were met. One of which was to provide X miles of cycle paths. Those stupid red bits apparently qualify as such, and are obviously a cheaper option than proper ones.

I wouldn't mind so much if they were PROPER cycle paths which ran parallel to both road and pavement but were "sectioned off" for cyclists in some way like a bus only lane.

But no, these red psychopath cycle paths weave and wander about, moving from pavement to road and crossing pavements at silly angles and with turns in them for no reason.

To me they just encourage poor cycling as the routes don't themselves seem to obey the normal rules of the Highway Code. To most of us non-cyclists (or rather ex-cyclists of many years lapsed) the red paths, red being a warning of danger, just seem to mean :-

DANGER, - IDIOT CYCLISTS MAY BE FOLLOWING THIS ROUTE. (SENSIBLE CYCLISTS WILL BE ON THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE NORMAL RULES OF THE ROAD)

These cycle tracks will be installed when Dave is in charge of the Highways Dept. lol

Don't think so vox.

They look expensive, - who's going to pay for them?

As most users of the highway pay / Road Tax / Insurance / MOT testing fees / Fuel Duty / etc. / etc

while cyclists pay Nowt / Nothing / Zilch ? B***** All / Zero

then they will have to go without.

DaveH has a policy which he will enforce when he is in charge of social benefits which is short, simple and equally as applicable to cyclists in this situation, it is ;-

THEM US PAYS NOWT, GETS NOWT!

Birkendale Road Upperthorpe.

Nice unspoiled pavement as well.

I don't know if we've got this one already. 122 post is a lot to look back through.

I think this used to be Rawson Street but it's now part of the trading estate opposite, Presto Tools.

It's the one at the side of the Lexus Dealers.

Google Street map

Birkendale Road Upperthorpe.

Nice unspoiled pavement as well.

I don't know if we've got this one already. 122 post is a lot to look back through.

I was born at Jessops but my family lived at No. 30 (just out of shot) ...