Cobbled Streets

vox

I know there are a few round Paradise Square area but are there any others left that haven't been spoiled with tarmac patches.
-----------------

View Cobbled Streets in Sheffield in a larger map
1st pic - There are a few sections of Burton Street S6 still in good nick but a lot of it has been ruined.

2nd Pic - And here's the best I've seen for ages which has only one Tarmac scar.
(just visible by the front wheel of the car on the left)
Used to be Walter Street. Taken from Burton Street looking towards High House Terrace.

I know there are a few round Paradise Square area but are there any others left that haven't been spoiled with tarmac patches.

1st pic - There are a few sections of Burton Street S6 still in good nick but a lot of it has been ruined.

2nd Pic - And here's the best I've seen for ages which has only one Tarmac scar.

(just visible by the front wheel of the car on the left)

Used to be Walter Street. Taken from Burton Street looking towards High House Terrace.

If you are around the Hillfoot area with the camera take a look at Waterford Road [first on the left going up Hoyland Road]. That was the only wooden cobbled road in Sheffield I knew of. Mind you, I am going back over 50 years when I was at Hillfoot School so the road might not even be there now. W/A.

A tough ask for someone that left Sheffield 28 years ago (for many it will be longer); how about near neighbours to Paradise Square, New Street and Figtree Lane ? I do remember signalling to turn into New Street with a Volvo Estate in 2005, the Police in the car behind me were quite amused.

Maybe start another thread for "appreciable patches of cobbles showing through ill-repaired tarmac" or a "potholes of Sheffield award"

Guest Falls

If you are around the Hillfoot area with the camera take a look at Waterford Road [first on the left going up Hoyland Road]. That was the only wooden cobbled road in Sheffield I knew of. Mind you, I am going back over 50 years when I was at Hillfoot School so the road might not even be there now. W/A.

Most of the streets in the Wicker area has stone sets under the asphalt. Many Sheffield streets also had sections that were done in wooden sets. These were to dampen the noise caused by the steel rims on the wooden wheels of wagons, carriages,etc. The noise of the steel rims on regular stone cobbles was absolutely terrible - much like four sets of dentist's drill all at the same time.

They were mainly outside important public buildings, hospitals and churches. I remember a section of wooden sets outside the Cathedral, where the taxi's used to stand. They were probably what was left of a much larger expance of wood and most likley disappeared when the road was widened in the early 1960's.

Pinstone Street must have had wooden sets because of the Town Hall and St Pauls; however, I dont recall seeing any when they dug up the road from time to time.

West Street also had wood sets along the section where the Royal Hospital used to be. These had been covered in tarmac for years but bits nad pieces may still have been around when they came to install the new tracks for the Supertram.

Regards

Maybe start another thread for "appreciable patches of cobbles showing through ill-repaired tarmac" or a "potholes of Sheffield award"

Well Bradley Street crookes could start that one off.

For years now the council have been sending someone to paint little yellow circles around the potholes. These stay this way for a few months untill someone else comes and fills in a few (never all) of them and paints blue circles around the ones that are left along with some new ones. I've often tried to work out what constitutes a hole worthy of a circle (of any colour) and what doesn't. And also who decides which circled holes are to be filled and which are to be left untill the next colour circles are painted.

Waterside Echo

At my age I'm sure I must have seen wooden sets. How come I've never noticed them? Odd.

Sod work - I'm off to Hillfoot tomorrow to see if there are any still there.

(The joys of self employment.) :) - or - (The bummer of not having much work on) :(

Ta

Nice Cobbles shame about the yellow lines

I know where I was at just turned 4.00pm but does anyone else, :)

Location to be revealed shortly if Ukelele Lady does not guess 1st

No its not a quiz

Nice Cobbles shame about the yellow lines

I know where I was at just turned 4.00pm but does anyone else, :)

Location to be revealed shortly if Ukelele Lady does not guess 1st

No its not a quiz

Cupola.

Image from Google Street View

Map #3

Wonder if anyone famous used to live there ?

Wm. BAINES blacksmith 1 Cupola St. Baine's 1822

George TAYLOR Bricklayer 6 Cupola Street Baine's 1822

John SPEAR File Manufacturers (& Co.) Cupola Street Pigot's 1828-9

John SPEAR file manufacturers (& Co.) Cupola Street White's 1833

William HOLMES Shoe maker & ginger beer maker 19 Cupola Street White's 1849

George HENFREY Journeyman Cupola Street White's 1849

Louis CUNEO ice cream maker Court 2, Cupola White's 1911

Louis CUNEO Ice cream maker Court 2, Cupola; h. 44 Copper Street White's 1919

If so, who was his original partner ?

Wonder if anyone famous used to live there ?

Wm. BAINES blacksmith 1 Cupola St. Baine's 1822

George TAYLOR Bricklayer 6 Cupola Street Baine's 1822

John SPEAR File Manufacturers (& Co.) Cupola Street Pigot's 1828-9

John SPEAR file manufacturers (& Co.) Cupola Street White's 1833

William HOLMES Shoe maker & ginger beer maker 19 Cupola Street White's 1849

George HENFREY Journeyman Cupola Street White's 1849

Louis CUNEO ice cream maker Court 2, Cupola White's 1911

Louis CUNEO Ice cream maker Court 2, Cupola; h. 44 Copper Street White's 1919

If so, who was his original partner ?

One would assume the answer to be a certain Mr. Jackson. (or is there a trap in the word original?)

As an asside:-

The Cuneo family are still around. I was speaking to one of them a couple of days ago.

One would assume the answer to be a certain Mr. Jackson. (or is there a trap in the word original?)

The Cuneo family are still around. I was speaking to one of them a couple of days ago.

The word original is bold, underlined and italics so maybe so ....

You'll want to slap yourself about the (presumably) baldy bonce when you get the answer, not for the answer itself, but for the shear simplicity by which the answer was achieved.

The answer is already on this site, if that helps ...

The Cuneo family sure are still around, I am related to them!

You were probably talking to Andrew or Anthony, one of whom still runs the ice cream business started by the previously mentioned Louis Cuneo, or possibly their father Tony.

Cuneo's claims to be the oldest ice cream company in Sheffield, being founded in 1864 (the year of the great flood) but the Cuneos first came to Britain from northern Italy (the town of Cuneo in fact) in 1860 and were making ice cream in the city from the start.

You'll want to slap yourself about the (presumably) baldy bonce when you get the answer, not for the answer itself, but for the shear simplicity by which the answer was achieved.

The answer is already on this site, if that helps ...

Would that be John Love then?

If so, the way I see it, technically at the time that it was Spear and Love, Alexander Spear was the partner, not John

Then Alexander's nephew John took over along with Sam Jackson.

I only got this info from a brief outline, so it may not be very accurate, but in 1814 he (John Spear) was running the show, so what was he doing in a little file-making workshop over 14 years later?

Cupola.

Image from Google Street View

What Google map/image application did the Cupola picture come from Steve?

I can't find that sort of view on Google maps.

A

Went for a look round there today but no wooden sets left I'm afraid.

At the very top level, the main menu, select Search from the top right button, type in Spear, press Go - brings up Spear and Love amongst others postings ... work out the answer yourself ... simples ...

The Cuneo family sure are still around, I am related to them!

You were probably talking to Andrew or Anthony, one of whom still runs the ice cream business started by the previously mentioned Louis Cuneo, or possibly their father Tony.

Cuneo's claims to be the oldest ice cream company in Sheffield, being founded in 1864 (the year of the great flood) but the Cuneos first came to Britain from northern Italy (the town of Cuneo in fact) in 1860 and were making ice cream in the city from the start.

I use to know Sonia who went to St Vincents school.

I'm not sure about the oldest ice cream company in Sheffield though.

On a will of my ancesters dated 1827 it states that a Ronksley [ ice cream maker] who lived in Trinity Street

rented one of his shops on Shalesmoor. :o

I use to know Sonia who went to St Vincents school.

I'm not sure about the oldest ice cream company in Sheffield though.

On a will of my ancesters dated 1827 it states that a Ronksley [ ice cream maker] who lived in Trinity Street

rented one of his shops on Shalesmoor. :o

Could be, but Ronksley doesn't sound very Italian, - sounds like a name much closer to home.

Could be, but Ronksley doesn't sound very Italian, - sounds like a name much closer to home.

Yes you're right there, I should have put an o or i on the end. lol