Cobbled Streets

vox

In 1899 the residents of Broomhill submitted a petition to the Council requesting that Fulwood Road be paved with wood instead of granite setts, the reason being that of noise reduction. They quoted other roads that had already been paved in wood – High Street, Fargate, West Street, the Moor and Walkley.

There were substantial discussions at the Council meeting, covering the increased risk of horses slipping, the cost implications, and the problems of fitting tramlines to various types of surface.

The residents won their case by a large majority.

Hi Calvin

I wrote of some wooden blocks once where I used to live.

See post 46.

Fair enough UL, i appreciate people relating the story as it is not something i knew about until i read this thread, but are there any others remaining in situ (at least visibly) anymore?

Not so good but a few very good stretches further down towards Shoreham St, and quite a long street too.

Mary Street, off Marys Gate.

attachicon.gifMary Street.jpg

Vox, you seem to have overlooked a recent alteration on Mary Street, what has changed?

Well there's a question. :unsure:

No idea Steve. I'll look tomorrow if I have time. After that I'm away for a week or so.

Do you mean changed from the time Streetview was imaged. It can't have changed from when I took the photo, that was yesterday.

Well there's a question. :unsure:

No idea Steve. I'll look tomorrow if I have time. After that I'm away for a week or so.

Do you mean changed from the time Streetview was imaged. It can't have changed from when I took the photo, that was yesterday.

Yes, very noticeable if you compare

The wall on the left has gone and been replaced by a new one :( and the trees or bushes gone too (or cut back). Not sure why, i know there is a small river behind that wall.

The wall on the left has gone and been replaced by a new one :( and the trees or bushes gone too (or cut back). Not sure why, i know there is a small river behind that wall.

Well spotted Calvin, the small river happens to be the Porter.

Brief post re:wall removal

Why?

The old Crozzle toped stone wall had probably been there for around one hundred years,

sorry I can not answer your question.

Oh ! Is that Wall it was. lol

And there was me, firmly fixed on the road, counting tarmac patches.

Brief post re:wall removal

Why?

Could it have been in connection with environment agency work to prevent flooding ?

If the old wall was not thought capable of holding back the river in spate then perhaps that's why they did it.

It would also account for the removal of all the undergrowth on the river bank.

They did something similar at the confluence of the Rivers Rivelin and Loxley at Malin Bridge.

They removed every last weed within a hundred yards of the rivers and rebuilt the wall alongside Holme Lane.

What was once a sylvan scene now looks a right eyesore.

HD

Just had a walk around Town for my article, now I don't know if this street has been mentioned before, if it has it deserves another one. This is Paradise St, when you walk up it you can see the way that countless horse pulled carts have worn the large cobbles to make the centre of the street higher than the edges in places. A brilliant street.

Fair enough UL, i appreciate people relating the story as it is not something i knew about until i read this thread, but are there any others remaining in situ (at least visibly) anymore?

There are also some wooden cobbles on show just off Gell Street near the City Centre.

If it wasnt for the cars and the Estate Agent sign you would swear it was a photo taken a hundred and fifty years ago, Im afraid cars and street furniture spoil so many brilliant locations for photos.

The first house on the right with the sold sign was the first house we bought in 1987. I often wondered if the railings were original and did people have they option to keep them when they were all used for the war effort ?