Cobbled Streets

vox

Actually Mrs.UKL, you was walking away from Eyre Street and was on Earl Street, heading towards Arundel Street,

the lane on the L/H side

(your photograph) is called Hallam Lane.

Ha, I must have been walking backwards :huh:B) .Looking at the map you're quite right.

I had a look on one of my old A to Z and there was a small lane which just said Eyre W

which I thought may have meant Walk.

Top of my head, no idea where this is.

I think this may be a good candidate for the longest remaining Cobbled St in Sheffield, Mary St.

I think this may be a good candidate for the longest remaining Cobbled St in Sheffield, Mary St.

At 295 metres (322.yards) I would say so.

If it wasnt for the cars and the Estate Agent sign you would swear it was a photo taken a hundred and fifty years ago, Im afraid cars and street furniture spoil so many brilliant locations for photos.

Thrush Street Walkley

attachicon.gifThrush St Walkley.jpg

In areas near Hospitals and such wooden blocks were used instead of the usual stone cobbles just to quieten the steel rims on the carts being pulled by horses or pushed by hawkers.

Not too bad a section on Cornish Street:

Other parts of Cornish Street are rather less well preserved. Some setts have succombed to repairs over the years, but it looks like the lack of road maintenance has led to some patches reappearing due to loss of tarmac.

Cotton Street and Cotton Mill Row, off Alma Street, are also benefitting from the disappearance of tarmac, although again there has been some loss to repairs/utilities etc.

Cotton Street

Cotton Mill Row

Don't know if members are aware of this but the cobbles on Burton Street, Hillsborough have been scarified and then covered over by tarmac. It was a terrible sight to behold and, in my opinion, quite disgraceful. The Morris team I am a member of practice in Burton street school and witnessed the whole sorry affair as the machine trundled back and forth scarifying the cobbles ready for their brand new overcoat of shiny tarmac. Such a shame!

Don't know if members are aware of this but the cobbles on Burton Street, Hillsborough have been scarified and then covered over by tarmac. It was a terrible sight to behold and, in my opinion, quite disgraceful. The Morris team I am a member of practice in Burton street school and witnessed the whole sorry affair as the machine trundled back and forth scarifying the cobbles ready for their brand new overcoat of shiny tarmac. Such a shame!

There could be more to come (or should that be succumb?). Amey have a contract to resurface all the roads in Sheffield. At a recent meeting a member of the public asked what would be done in the case of cobbles, and the only answer was that they investigate the sub-structure before they decide what to do. Since the standard technique elsewhere is to grind off the old surface and lay a new tarmac surface (without chippings - skating anyone?) I don't give much for the cobbles chances of survival.

There is a cracking short stretch of cobbles on a small road right in front of Forgemasters (between the plant and main road). I will take a pic when i can - i guess it is an old road, which had been kept for access in more recent times, however now it starts and ends nowhere in particular.

College Street 1966 _Picture Sheffield

College Street (next to King Edward VII, Glossop Road - Clarkehouse Road) - pretty much as it is now. What required removal or covering up, of the whole centre stretch?

It's quite a busy cut through from Glossop Rd to Clarkehouse so they probably did it just to smooth it out. It's one way and there are always cars parked on both sides so no need to do the whole width. Just a theory.

As vox says there's still some left on Bilston Street I happened to be on there on Friday.

It is has been referred to in this thread and elsewhere that streets sometimes had wooden cobbles to reduce noise from horse traffic, for example outside the hospital on West St/Glossop Rd i think. Today i found some remaining wooden cobbles in a hole in the tarmac on Britannia Road, Darnall.

Anyone ever seen these anywhere else? If they are genuine then they are unique to me.