Cobbled Streets

vox

West Street Lane, off Calver Street.

I've included a Streetview as well because between Google's 2010 image and mine, the building on the left has been demolished.

Google Streetview

=======================

Map updated

And if you wondered what happens to the ones they don't cover in tarmac! A reclamation yard on the aforementioned Bland Street!

This is a little snickett off Houndsfield Road / Leavy Greave opposite the tram stop,

I believe they call it or it used to be called Favell Road.

Arras Street, off Woodbourn Road

Looks quite good, apart from the tarmac stripe across it. No idea why this has been left when Ripon Street at the bottom of Arras Street is tarmac (sort of)

Map 65 (if any map fairies are available)

Map 65 as requested.

Here's a narrow lane with no name plate on but it leads up to the

back of the children's hospital as you can see in the distance.

I've looked in an old A to Z and it seems to be an unamed snicket off Northumberland Road

Here's a narrow lane with no name plate on but it leads up to the

back of the children's hospital as you can see in the distance.

I've looked in an old A to Z and it seems to be an unamed snicket off Northumberland Road

Durham Lane, Isn't it ?

Flash Earth

name='ukelele lady' timestamp='1330280085' post='103094']

Yes that's it Steve, it's name tag must have fell off. :)

In my old A to Z it's just Durham Road then this unnamed lane.

Not listed in 1925 Kelly's, probably because there were no residential addresses on the lane.

I had a job once digging the things up :angry:

It was back in 1979 and the Recreation Department used one of those schemes run by Manpower Services Commission to employ unemployed men to dig up and lanscape the bottom end of Petre Street, where it joined to Elsmere School. It was an unsurfaced "cobbled" street. To save money they employed us to use a couple of those compressed air drills for digging up roads. They wanted the cobbles to use to line paths in the park afterwards. So we loosened them with the drill and took them out with a pick, then put them in a dumper truck to transport them to a storage area. After many weeks work we had cleared only a small area of the road. In the end the big wigs decided it would take to long and brought in a JCB that cleared the rest in a few days :P

Mind you we were not allowed to call them "cobbles". I got some funny looks off the boss for calling them that :unsure: No we had to call them "setts". So now you know -_-

Anyway we completed the park, it's still there! I got quite good at laying the setts as the edges of the tarmac paths! The manager was very proud of me for doing them and use to call me the master stonemason lol

He was a something to believe himself. As he was the spitting image of Amos out of Emerdale Farm! Even down to the voice :o

Another chap drank like there was no tommorrow! He had at least 10 pints during the day and another 10 at night :o He went down five pints to my pint one lunchtime. :blink:

You can still see some of the setts he laid one afternoon just below the school. They are easy to spot as there's no straight lines to be seen lol

I remember them doing the areas around Penistone Road Dude. When they "dual carriagewayed" it. There were mountains of them piled up by the roadside.

They used some of them here and there down the central reservation, but I wonder where the rest went.

This little street has been spoilt by the easy option of tarmac. Penton St just off Trippet Lane

Can't place it ...

This little street has been spoilt by the easy option of tarmac. Penton St just off Trippet Lane

Thrush Street at Walkley is still cobbled, or it was last time I went up there. Will find out this week and let you know

and a cracking climb in a car in the rain ... as is Waller Road - although not cobbled still a magnificent gradient.

Thrush Street at Walkley is still cobbled, or it was last time I went up there. Will find out this week and let you know

The building could have been a mission room.

Penton Street

(Trippet Lane)

Workmen's Mission Room.

Bennett Harry, farriers knife manufacturer.

Penton Aluminium Co. aluminium handle manufacturers.

Turner Wm. Hy. (j) blade forger.

Kelly's 1925

What a remarkable name !

Rev. Armer Silver Oliver Birch, Pastor of Workmen's Mission, Trippet Lane from White's 1919.

The building could have been a mission room.

Penton Street

(Trippet Lane)

Workmen's Mission Room.

Bennett Harry, farriers knife manufacturer.

Penton Aluminium Co. aluminium handle manufacturers.

Turner Wm. Hy. (j) blade forger.

]Not quite sure what they call this one , maybe Eyre Walk ??

Being on your left as you walk down to Eyre Street arriving at the Lord Nelson on the corner.

]Not quite sure what they call this one , maybe Eyre Walk ??

Being on your left as you walk down to Eyre Street arriving at the Lord Nelson on the corner.

Actually Mrs.UKL, you was walking away from Eyre Street and was on Earl Street, heading towards Arundel Street,

the lane on the L/H side

(your photograph) is called Hallam Lane.