Holidays as a kid...

Sheffield History

HI, I can identify with all thse holidays, in the 50ties i bought a DANDY, for those who have never heard of one NO it was NOT A COMIC,it was an early prototype of the collapsing caravan very well constructed and good material, all lovely on a nice day but erecting it on a rainy or windy day it was horrible,once the waterproof cover wqs taken off the beds were open to the sky, we sat for hours in the car, if it was rainy or WINDY ,although fairly rigid weather wise, they were not bullproof. Once in Scotland in a farmers field, w ith permission i might add, all ok till the morning, the farmhand did not know about us and let the bull into our field, having worked on farms I recognised this great roar very close I awakend everyone and all dressed silently, I piked at this monster, waiting till it found new pastures..literally,, but not before it decided to scratch on the van , well we were scared to death ,and I realised I had to do something , the only thing handy wqs my golfing umbrella, the plqn was to get the bull to chase me, and the wife and kids to run the other way, I was just about to go out when I heard voices I opened the door and saw the farmer leading him away, with his finger through its nose ring, my God I was so relieved I even said a silent prayer, the following week there was an advert in the Star DANDY for sale, Happy days Skeets.

HI, I can identify with all thse holidays, in the 50ties i bought a DANDY, for those who have never heard of one NO it was NOT A COMIC,it was an early prototype of the collapsing caravan very well constructed and good material, all lovely on a nice day but erecting it on a rainy or windy day it was horrible,once the waterproof cover wqs taken off the beds were open to the sky, we sat for hours in the car, if it was rainy or WINDY ,although fairly rigid weather wise, they were not bullproof. Once in Scotland in a farmers field, w ith permission i might add, all ok till the morning, the farmhand did not know about us and let the bull into our field, having worked on farms I recognised this great roar very close I awakend everyone and all dressed silently, I piked at this monster, waiting till it found new pastures..literally,, but not before it decided to scratch on the van , well we were scared to death ,and I realised I had to do something , the only thing handy wqs my golfing umbrella, the plqn was to get the bull to chase me, and the wife and kids to run the other way, I was just about to go out when I heard voices I opened the door and saw the farmer leading him away, with his finger through its nose ring, my God I was so relieved I even said a silent prayer, the following week there was an advert in the Star DANDY for sale, Happy days Skeets.

Great story skeets,

and although it made me laugh,

like you say it must have been a very scary experience at the time.

Was the 'DANDY' like this one?

Great story skeets,

I've seen a few of these on campsites. You don't want to mess with them though because you'll have this lot after you!!!

http://www.dandyowners.co.uk/

I've seen a few of these on campsites. You don't want to mess with them though because you'll have this lot after you!!!

http://www.dandyowners.co.uk/

I've seen a few at steam and transport rallies where exhibitors camp out for the weekend show.

They seem to get refered to as a "trailer tent" rather than a Dandy though.

Great story skeets,

HI Steve Yes thats the one, we once landed in Christchurch, and just as we were to erect the heavens opened, it contiued for hours ,so we unhitched and found a small hotel and booked for the night after eating we went to the bar and a nice looking lady served, she was the boss, l sat down and an old chap said youre from SHEFF. I said good guess, my accent and number plate was enough he said, he was the retired landlord of the Norton Hotel Meadowhead we all had a good night when he was leaving he whispered watch her nodding to the landlady, the wife went to bed leaving me to drink up, but ,she would not let me drink up ,a large whisky was put to me, and several more after, she was a big lass and l had to literally fight to get away from her, to get to my bed , she was dragging to hers , then l knew what the old man was trying to tell me ,she was a nympho, so he told me the following night ,Skeets.

PS I thought she fancied me then l realised l was the only one left with trousers on.

Skegness in 1947 then Bridlington a year or two later.

Then Cayton Bay near Scarborough in a caravan - first went there in 1952 when there were just a few caravans and you had to get your milk from the farm. Shortly afterwards it became well known as "Wallis's"

Went to Cayton Bay or Scarborough for many years and still have a week at Scarborough each year.

On the last night when I was young we went into Scarborough on the bus and I was allowed a "Knickerbocker Glory" at the Harbour Bar which still does great trade.

Also at Scarborough you could go to The Mere and sail on the "Hispaniola" to "Treasure Island" and dig for dubloons !!

Anyone else go there?

John

HI Many times, look for my honeymoon photo at Cayton Bay before there was anything there except a hotel, skeets.

HI Many times, look for my honeymoon photo at Cayton Bay before there was anything there except a hotel, skeets.

Cayton Bay - Wallis's blimey that brings back some memories. Recall being there during the 1978 World Cup finals 7 watching Scotland play.

Walked down the coast a few years ago past there looked a sorry state.

Hi Fellow SHs

Found a few photos of a Holiday at Butlins in Filey in 1958 most likely works weeks, ( Not a pint of Lager in site..)

First three i think were arrival at Camp ( Or departure )

Worlds strongest Boy ( Me on far right )

Race track with Dinning Room and Reception in background.

Chalets with Water Tank and Loudspeakers in background.

Me and my Sister talking to a Redcoat.

Me and Sis at Swimming pool.

Early monorail ground version.

Group photo.

Feeding the Masses..

Didn't we have fun back in the day..

Hi Fellow SHs

Found a few photos of a Holiday at Butlins in Filey in 1958 most likely works weeks, ( Not a pint of Lager in site..)

Feeding the Masses..

Didn't we have fun back in the day..

Hi Syrup,

I've got a almost identical photo of my grandparents and Dad at Butlins - did a photographer wander round snapping everyone as they had their dinners? lol

Hi Dunsbyowl

With reference to the photographer i was only 10 at the time so my memories are very vague, That's me carrying the camera in the second photo. I do recall getting autograph's of the Redcoats which i still have somewhere but they are hard to decipher. And i remember lots of Coaches leaving Sheffield so it might have been organised as Works trips of some sort any more than that i dont know..

Me as a child somewhere on a beach in a Woolen swim suit..

This picture looks like an ideal candidate for Stuart0742's photos thread with pictures of members when they were young, - what do you think syrup? If you haven't already looked theres already pictures of me, Stuart0742, deansgirl and skeets on there.

Guest dronny boy

Hi All

I too have a photo of the Filey Dining Room in1958 and its interesting thinking back to those times. Does anyone remember the redcoats that year. There was Ted Rogers who later became famous on TV and John O'Mahony who was the brother of David O'Mahony who then changed his name to Dave Allen and we all remember him. I think there was also a Frank O'Mahony - does anyone remember this. Some good photos on the post above

Hi All

I too have a photo of the Filey Dining Room in1958 and its interesting thinking back to those times. Does anyone remember the redcoats that year. There was Ted Rogers who later became famous on TV and John O'Mahony who was the brother of David O'Mahony who then changed his name to Dave Allen and we all remember him. I think there was also a Frank O'Mahony - does anyone remember this. Some good photos on the post above

Thanks for sharing that Dronny Boy - great memories -and welcome to the site.

Guest Reddles

Hi Syrup,

I've got a almost identical photo of my grandparents and Dad at Butlins - did a photographer wander round snapping everyone as they had their dinners? lol

Yes, they did! And then you went to a kiosk to look at the photos that had been taken to see if you wanted to buy. If you wanted you could have them in a red plastic spy thingy (sure there's a technical term) presented as a key ring. I was there in the sixties as a child and it was great! I loved the tannoy in the morning calling you to breakfast and telling you what was on that day. Very 'hi de hi'.

Also some walk through shops with candy floss and rock come to mind.

The red coats used to be out and about on camp during the day doing games like 'find the pirate' and all the kids used to chase them until they walked the plank into the swimming pool! Simple folk, simple times!

Yes, they did! And then you went to a kiosk to look at the photos that had been taken to see if you wanted to buy. If you wanted you could have them in a red plastic spy thingy (sure there's a technical term) presented as a key ring. I was there in the sixties as a child and it was great! I loved the tannoy in the morning calling you to breakfast and telling you what was on that day. Very 'hi de hi'.

Also some walk through shops with candy floss and rock come to mind.

The red coats used to be out and about on camp during the day doing games like 'find the pirate' and all the kids used to chase them until they walked the plank into the swimming pool! Simple folk, simple times!

Thanks Reddles, I have one of those red plastic things with a photo of my grandad in it lol They still do the same today don't they at tourist attractions - with the photos in a kiosk - I took my son on the London Eye and 5 minutes after we got off there we were in a photo in a fridge magnet!

Cleethorpes was probably the shortest distance to travel so would be visited most frequently in the 1960's. mainly as "day trips"

In those days before the M18 / M180 route which is really fast an convenient there were 3 main ways of getting there.

1) rail

A regular, fast, convenient direct service in those days, with the extra advantage that Cleethorpes station is just about on the sea front promenade so you didn't have to walk very far when you got off the train.

Seem to remember it pulled into Cleethorpes more often than not on this platform, obviosly now no longer used, which was right up against the promenade with a view across to the beach and "sea" (actually the Humber estuary).

By pulling up on this platform it stopped the kids asking the age old question "Are we there yet?"

Seem to remember it pulled into Cleethorpes more often than not on this platform, obviosly now no longer used, which was right up against the promenade with a view across to the beach and "sea" (actually the Humber estuary).

By pulling up on this platform it stopped the kids asking the age old question "Are we there yet?"

I wouldn't want to give the impression that the station is no longer used. It is still a busy little end of the line terminus station as this wider picture shows.

I wouldn't want to give the impression that the station is no longer used. It is still a busy little end of the line terminus station as this wider picture shows.

A view familiar to many from those day trips in the 1960's. Cleethorpes station from the outside with the beach and sea beyond.

Withensea, caravan, ants - home on the second day ...

Withernsea on the East Yorkshire coast. From there it is only a short jouney down to Spurn Head, a narrow spit of land about 3 miles long and only a few hundred yards wide which is a nice, quiet serene nature reserve and beauty spot with a lighthouse and coastguard station at the end.

Interestingly from the beach at Cleethorpes you can see Spurn Head, especially the lighthouse across the Humber estuary. Not surprisingly then, from Spurn Head you can see Grimsby, New Clee and Cleethorpes on the other side! One side all industry and British holiday, the other a little oasis of peace.

Whitby, caravan, fog and ants ...

Didn't stay in the posh part of Whitby above the North Cliff then?

Withernsea on the East Yorkshire coast. From there it is only a short jouney down to Spurn Head, a narrow spit of land about 3 miles long and only a few hundred yards wide which is a nice, quiet serene nature reserve and beauty spot with a lighthouse and coastguard station at the end.

Interestingly from the beach at Cleethorpes you can see Spurn Head, especially the lighthouse across the Humber estuary. Not surprisingly then, from Spurn Head you can see Grimsby, New Clee and Cleethorpes on the other side! One side all industry and British holiday, the other a little oasis of peace.

May be of some interest. W/E.

May be of some interest. W/E.

If you take a walk down Spurn Head there is an old railway line which emerges from the mud on the Humber side, crosses the peninsula at a very accute angle thereby exposing a fairly long section of it, - with a "break" in the middle, and then goes down the beach on the other side finally disappearing under the sand and then the North Sea.

Evidence that on a relatively short geological timescale this piece of land is "moved" by the sea, - sometimes it curls further under into the Humber and at others straightens out towards the sea. In the past during storms and bad weather the sea has breached it, leaving a small detatched island and there is always the risk, especially with global warming, melting ice caps and rising sea levels that it could eventually disappear altogether.