Where are we all off to then ?

RichardB

This is a very silly shaped scan ...

Nice collection of pre decimal old bus tickets.

How old are they as the price range of 2&1/2d to 6d would correspond to 1p to 2&1/2p in modern money.

I assume from the range of prices that 6d was an expensive ride and would take you quite a long way.

Having said that, for many years in the 1970's Sheffield Fares seemed to be 2p to go just about anywhere.

Hopefully someone can fill in other priced tickets.

I'm too young (and, as it happens, handsome ......... yeah right !) to know how far a 6d ticket would have taken you; pre-decimal (15th February 1971) it would have been child-fare for me all the way.

Hopefully someone can fill in other priced tickets.

I'm too young (and, as it happens, handsome ......... yeah right !) to know how far a 6d ticket would have taken you; pre-decimal (15th February 1971) it would have been child-fare for me all the way.

When the buses had conductors these were very common tickets, the tickets were on rolls within the ticket machine. You would get various tckets to the value of your fair.

This type must have a name sure Busman or Transit will know.

Well I famously know a lot about some stuff and very little about others. I'll take any input on Pre-decimal bus tickets (eBay) because its not an area of expertise for me, just thought they might be of interest.

Guest transit

When the buses had conductors these were very common tickets, the tickets were on rolls within the ticket machine. You would get various tckets to the value of your fair.

This type must have a name sure Busman or Transit will know.

....not forgetting they were also used on the old trams up to 1960 !.....

Ultimate ?

More detail please, I don't understand or have any knowledge of anything here - I just bought 'em and posted 'em. When did what cost what ? How far would a 2d fare take you ?

I quite liked the colours and the memory of a 1p fare from Hillsborough Electrical (bottom of Minto Road) to Parkside Road School.

More detail please, I don't understand or have any knowledge of anything here - I just bought 'em and posted 'em. When did what cost what ? How far would a 2d fare take you ?

I quite liked the colours and the memory of a 1p fare from Hillsborough Electrical (bottom of Minto Road) to Parkside Road School.

Thats a short journey, no wonder it was only a 1p fare lol

Thats a short journey, no wonder it was only a 1p fare lol

As a child, I seem to remember it was a 1p fare anywhere at some point, after a "Fare Review", also fares went down because of rounding, the 7p fare from Walkley to Town went down to 5p instead of up to 10p (circa 1977).

Guest bus man

The tickets could be issued in multiple if you look on some of the tickets above they only have the fare stage printed on one of them this indicates that its a double thinks its the 2p one or 2d therefore you could use the tickets to do combinations

Sheffield also used them printed for OAPS

the machine ilistrated is a five ticekt one some companies used 4 or 6 and sheffield council used 2 compartments ones for car park attendends

the machines usualy had a name plate on the front

Guest bus man

Had time to have a better look note how some of them are child tickets - the fare stage is in the child box, the adverts on the back are intresting in latter days STD/PTE couldnt get anyone to advertise on them so they said GO BY BUS

The tickets could be issued in multiple if you look on some of the tickets above they only have the fare stage printed on one of them this indicates that its a double thinks its the 2p one or 2d therefore you could use the tickets to do combinations

Sheffield also used them printed for OAPS

the machine ilistrated is a five ticekt one some companies used 4 or 6 and sheffield council used 2 compartments ones for car park attendends

the machines usualy had a name plate on the front

We used the "Ultimate" 6 chamber for a short while for one man operation at Herries Road. The reason for issueing multiple tickets was to do with Data collecting, we were not supposed to give out a 6d ticket for a 6d fare, as far as I can remember they were only issued in multiples for fares of one shilling or over. ie, for a 1/3d fare you would issue two 6d and one 3d tickets.