Loxley House on Ben Lane, Wisewood

Guest peter spooner

Guest peter spooner

Any info on the house or the gate house please ?

I know it was a Naval Cadette training base , where has the old boforse gun gone?, but has it past naval links,who built it and when ? Also the playing fields in front of it , what are they built on i.e. gardens or the remains of mine workings, as I have seen large issues of water spring up from the bank sides in front of the old wood at the side,after very heavy rain fall.

Couple of former owners.

Henry Payne, MD and Surgeon lived there in 1893; Arthur Ledger, occupation unknown lived there in 1911

LISTED BUILDINGS IN NETHERTHORPE/WALKLEY/HILLSBOROUGH AREA PANEL

Albert Terrace Road, Centenary House II 013/13 Walkley

15 Alma Street The Fat Cat public house II 015/10064 Central

Ball Street Ball street bridge II 014/47 Walkley/Central

Ball street Kelham wier II 0 Walkley/Central

Bardwell Road Railway bridge II 21306 Walkley

Ben Lane Dial House Club and attached boundary wall II 01/894 Hillsborough

Ben Lane Loxley House (RN Training ship Sheffield) and adjoining service wing II 01/895 Hillsborough

I can't picture this building ...

Looks like the Payne family were at Loxley House for quite some time ...

Extract :

This fine house was built in the early 1800's for a Doctor Payne. It has been empty for periods of time and at others used for various purposes, including a period as a base for the local Sea Cadets. The house and associated outbuildings have recently been converted into superb apartments. The view, from the front garden, over the Loxley Valley to Stannington and Sheffield, is superb.

Photo
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1115537

Loxley House History

Loxley House was built by in 1795 Thomas Halliday. The sizeable stone above the window of the lounge originally bore the inscription

"Thomas Halliday 1806".

In 1808 "The House" was sold to Thomas Halliday who rebuilt it in 1826. It was much grander than the original with three storeys and three wide set bays. At the same time John Payne bought the land where the gibbet of Frank Fearn had stood, and in 1913 the descendants of Parkin Payne gave that stretch of moorland to the citizens of Sheffield.

"Seventy five acres of land at Loxley Common and Wadsley Common to be used by the public for the purpose of exercise and recreation, and to be known as Loxley Chase".

By 1865 an eccentric doctor called Henry Payne was living in Loxley House. His cure for all ailments was a hot blanket over the affected part. He quarrelled with the local parson and vowed never to go to church again, but the parson reminded him he would be carried in at the end of his days, head first, in a coffin. But the determined doctor left instructions that he was to buried on his own estate, which included Wadsley and Loxley Commons, without church ceremony, his wishes being duly carried out in 1895.

He even marked the spot where he was to be buried with a stone, stating he wanted to be placed in a brick vault in the plantation adjoining Loxley House. It should be covered with earth to avoid recognition. He even stipulated who should make the coffin and of what wood.

He also named the gravediggers and the fee they were to receive. The house and the estate passed to his nephew Thomas Phillips and later Alderman William Clegg also took up residence and then also William Bush.

When the First World War began, two of Dr Payne's spinster nieces moved in and in 1919 the Cripples Aid Association bought the building for a convalescent home.

Later it became the headquarters of the Sheffield Sea Cadets. The Grade II listed building was sold on in 1996.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 bedroom flat in Loxley House £895 PCM - Blimey ....

http://www.campbellhomes.co.uk/loxley_house.html

or for sale at only £249,995

http://www.primelocation.com/new-homes/sea...ld/t/apartment/

Couple of former owners.

Henry Payne, MD and Surgeon lived there in 1893; Arthur Ledger, occupation unknown lived there in 1911

Hi, Arthur Ledger was my Great Grandfather, he referred to himself as "a Gentleman" I think that was largely wishful thinking, I have posted photos of a Garden Party held at the house in June 1911 on a previous post, those in attendance included the Earl of Warncliffe , Lord Rockingham and their partners. I also have a photo of GGrandfather playing billiards in the Billiard room of the house, the ivory balls he used are still in my possession.

Link to Garden Party image:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/562-random-picture-thread/?p=9608

(added by HughW)

I’ve come across another photo of a 1911 garden party at Loxley House. It looks as though it’s the same event. I think my great grandmother may have been there - Mary Jane Schofield aka Mrs John Arthur Schofield. The lady in white with a large hat, seated beside the man talking in the centre. Do you have any further details about the party, or its attendees?  I’d love to know more about it. The family were staunch Methodists.

could you post a close up of the attendees pls of your photo pls?

E46A50AA-C128-446F-9542-48DAFD04BDC0.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James said:

I’ve come across another photo of a 1911 garden party at Loxley House. It looks as though it’s the same event. I think my great grandmother may have been there - Mary Jane Schofield aka Mrs John Arthur Schofield. The lady in white with a large hat, seated beside the man talking in the centre. Do you have any further details about the party, or its attendees?  I’d love to know more about it. The family were staunch Methodists.

I just love photograph’s like this, it shows the elegance of the times sadly not a smile to be seen.

• Like 1

NICE PHOTO James!!

Yes! I agree with you tozzin. I can spend hours looking at old photos, there is always a calmness about them,

I guess it's because they had to sit in situ for quite some time. I just love the clothes as well. I've got some great

old family photos from when my GtGrandparents ran a farm in Chesterfield. One is of a family wedding party

taken in their orchard, no smiles there either. 

Found some interesting views relating to LOXLEY HOUSE on PICTURE SHEFFIED, here are the ref numbers :-

s05771 - s09353 - s13546 - s32123 - s32124 - s37407 - s37408 - s37409 - s37410 - s37411 - s37412

s37434 - s37435 - s37437 - u09761 - u11692 - u11693       ok enjoy Heartshome

9 hours ago, James said:

from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 24th June 1911

WADSLEY PARISHIONERS ENTERTAINED

GARDEN FETE AT LOXLEY HOUSE

The parishioners and old folks of Wadsley celebrated the Coronation by attending a garden fete in the grounds of Loxley House, yesterday, but unfortunately their enjoyment was considerably marred by the showery weather.  Mr. and Mrs. A. Ledger, who reside at Loxley House, and the Misses Phillips, of Harrogate, formerly of Loxley House, received the guests, of whom there were about 500, including nearly 300 old people, specially invited by the Misses Phillips.

There was an interesting opening ceremony on the lawn, performed by Miss Mary Payne Phillips, Mr A. Ledger presiding.  A beautiful bouquet was presented to Miss Phillips by Miss M. Ledger, and a commemorative illuminated address was presented to the Misses Phillips and their sister (Mrs Harrison) by Mrs. Ledger, on behalf of the parishioners.

Those present included Bishop Lofthouse of Canada, a native of Wadsley, who had postponed his return to the Dominion in order to be present at the function, the Vicar (the Rev. E.P. Blakeney), the Rev. and Mrs. J.W. Merryweather, Mrs. Blakeney, Miss Ledger, Councillor and Mrs. Bescoby, Dr. Payne, Miss Thorp (Middlewood Hall), Mrs. Wilson-Thorp, Mr. and Mrs. H. Denton, Mr. and Mrs. Hobson, Mr. and Mrs. Swift, Mr. and Mrs. Perigo, and Mr. and Mrs. Burton.

Tea was served in a marquee, and the old people were presented with mementoes of the Coronation by Miss Phillips. Selections were played by the Loxley Wesleyan Brass Band and there were sports, a concert arranged by Mr. H. Denton, dancing, and a firework display.

• Like 1