Eyewitness Works

Orreet

3 hours ago, OJ-OK said:

Thanks.  I have added a couple more images as requested showing where it is (right next to Phlegm's latest) and a shot of the inscribed block.

Thanks OJ-OK  , I have no idea who Phlegm  is, but presume it is a person responsible for that abomination painted on the wall, if so I would like to see him or her locked up, but only after being made to remove the lot.

Phlegm is an excellent artist, in MASSIVE demand around the world. His recent exhibition at Eye Witness Works attracted thousands of people, with average queues to get in being around 2 hours wait time.

His unique art features (and is much-loved) in many places across Sheffield, including the wall outside the Rutland Arms, next to the river Don where the Riverside is at Kelham Island, famously above (and behind) Rare and Racy until that place was forced to close, and many other places - not only that he has been commissioned to paint his creations all around the world, including the sides of skyscrapers, park art installations and loads more. Here's some of his work around the world: https://phlegmcomicnews.blogspot.com

I get that it might not be your cup-of-tea (art is subjective after all).

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:23, OJ-OK said:

Apologies for resurrecting this thread. 

I came across the inscription on Eyewitness works a few weeks ago and decided to make a rubbing of it.  Since there is more interest in Eyewitness works at the moment (with the recent Mausoleum of Giants exhibition) and the buildings upcoming conversion into flats I thought people might appreciate it if I shared the outcome of the rubbing (and an enhanced version of it).

In terms of the history of the inscription, I cannot add anything beyond what is discussed in the thread - other then to confirm that my own research hasn't offered any better theory for the inscription origins.

I just hope that when they redevelop the block they don't destroy it - since its been on the building for more then a hundred years!imageproxy.php?img=&key=ff09c6054f30b62a

NegEnhanedSR.jpg

NormalSR.jpg

Pevsner Architectural Guide says the Eye-Witness Works built in 1852 was originally a two story building, construction work started c1875 extending the building and adding a third floor.

It could simply be that Henry Baver/Beever was working on the construction site and with a bit of spare time on his hands decided to leave his mark on the building! 

Henry Ibbertson Beever was born at Slack Fields, Oughtibridge the son of Thomas & Harriet Beever, he was christened at St Nicholas Church Bradfield on the 4th of May 1843.

His wife Priscilla Beever(nee Smith) died in 1930 aged 83.

Was the cutlery company not called "Tailors Eye Witness? The development guy at Westall Richardsons was called Taylor and claimed a family tie up with Tailors Eye Witness!

3 hours ago, Old rider said:

Was the cutlery company not called "Tailors Eye Witness? The development guy at Westall Richardsons was called Taylor and claimed a family tie up with Tailors Eye Witness!

There is an out of date page on Wikipedia about the Taylor's Eye Witness Works here        ----------      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_Eye_Witness_Works             ----------        and their home page, which amongst other things gives their reason for moving,  is at this link   ----------     http://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/about-us/ 

My gran used to work there, so my everyday cutlery is still Eye Witness (wth a little Mosely Rusnorstain thrown in)

I've got a bunch of EW knives with Sheffield spelt incorrectly...

I like Phlegm a lot, and though his art doesn't float everyone's boat, I suspect that his connection to this now might have saved that memorial stone which otherwise might have been simply sandblasted away - just my humble opinion