The Alpine pop man

Sheffield History

Anyone remember the Alpine pop man coming round Sheffield ?

Some very unique flavours he used to bring too and I still remember the cherryade being extra strong

There seemed to be a number of street delivered items from your express milkman selling eggs, yoghurts, milk (obviously !) to mobile shops, and of course the alpine pop man !

Rob Dixon - "It came in loads of different sugar laden flavours My favourite was pineapple. It was always delivered by hard kids, who used to hang off the van, and leg it round in huge oxford bags, and mashed up two- tone big heeled shoes. My mum always made me pay for it, and I used to hate it , as I always got the lad with the feather cut, and the knotted Sunderland scarf round his neck, who would give me the fingers as they sped off up the road. What nightmares are made of."

Guest codeyes

The pop man used to come round when I was in my teens....from Goddards which was down on Park View Road.

Also gone but never forgotten from the late 50's and 60's were:

Rag and Bone men with their horse drawn and also hand pulled carts

The Knife Sharpener

The Gas Man who would turn off and on the gas lamps up and down Clarence Road with a long pole with a T bar on it

Gypsies going door to door selling pegs, pins and "lucky" heather

The Coal Man ( Charllie Hollingsworth)

The Calor Gas man

Window cleaners with their ladders on long barrows

Cobbled streets..........sigh ;)

and Davenports Beer, delivered to your door, for your Dad (1960's)

I remember the advert on TV with the jingle

"Beer at Home means Davenports'

Why go out,

We deliver......."

Anyone remember the Alpine pop man coming round Sheffield ?

Some very unique flavours he used to bring too and I still remember the cherryade being extra strong

There seemed to be a number of street delivered items from your express milkman selling eggs, yoghurts, milk (obviously !) to mobile shops, and of course the alpine pop man !

Rob Dixon - "It came in loads of different sugar laden flavours My favourite was pineapple. It was always delivered by hard kids, who used to hang off the van, and leg it round in huge oxford bags, and mashed up two- tone big heeled shoes. My mum always made me pay for it, and I used to hate it , as I always got the lad with the feather cut, and the knotted Sunderland scarf round his neck, who would give me the fingers as they sped off up the road. What nightmares are made of."

Alpine pop bottle were great for homemade beer, my dad had loads in the 70's, in those days they were proper glass bottle with a good solid top. He would use them until the tops cracked and then send them back and get some more. Free pop as it was the bottles he wanted. 2 pints of fiery beer in each bottle, lethal. No wonder my brain is fuddled nowadays. lol

The pop man used to come round when I was in my teens....from Goddards which was down on Park View Road.

Also gone but never forgotten from the late 50's and 60's were:

Rag and Bone men with their horse drawn and also hand pulled carts

The Knife Sharpener

The Gas Man who would turn off and on the gas lamps up and down Clarence Road with a long pole with a T bar on it

Gypsies going door to door selling pegs, pins and "lucky" heather

The Coal Man ( Charllie Hollingsworth)

The Calor Gas man

Window cleaners with their ladders on long barrows

Cobbled streets..........sigh ;)

Remember em all, and what about the 'knocker upper' banged on your bedroom window with a long stick to get you up for work. Rag and bone man gave us balloons if we gave him any rags, can't remember him collecting any bones though. Knife sharpener Sharpened knives on an adapted pushbike. Two different coal lorries, one with the coal bagged up and ready and the more modern one that dispensed the cole into bags at your house.

Alpine pop bottle were great for homemade beer, my dad had loads in the 70's, in those days they were proper glass bottle with a good solid top. He would use them until the tops cracked and then send them back and get some more. Free pop as it was the bottles he wanted. 2 pints of fiery beer in each bottle, lethal. No wonder my brain is fuddled nowadays. lol

I still have a set of a dozen Alpine litre pop bottles complete with crate which I used for home brewing for many years. The bottles were great, good thick glass to take a bit of pressure, but unfortunately those plastic screw caps with rubber sealing washer did start to crack a bit and fall apart with repeated use. Also used some of them to store photographic chemicals, developer and fixer and the like, in.

When Alpine stopped coming round our area another company took their place. I think they were called "McGills" or something like that. The van used to come every Tuesday to Intake and the company was based in Clowne. They also did Davenports beers so they could possibly have taken Alpine over. Eventually they stopped coming as well but that must have been about 1994ish because we used to buy the pop for our own kids to drink.

So does anyone deliver pop anymore?

Round our way we don't even get a milk man these days.

I still have a set of a dozen Alpine litre pop bottles complete with crate which I used for home brewing for many years. The bottles were great, good thick glass to take a bit of pressure, but unfortunately those plastic screw caps with rubber sealing washer did start to crack a bit and fall apart with repeated use. Also used some of them to store photographic chemicals, developer and fixer and the like, in.

When Alpine stopped coming round our area another company took their place. I think they were called "McGills" or something like that. The van used to come every Tuesday to Intake and the company was based in Clowne. They also did Davenports beers so they could possibly have taken Alpine over. Eventually they stopped coming as well but that must have been about 1994ish because we used to buy the pop for our own kids to drink.

So does anyone deliver pop anymore?

Round our way we don't even get a milk man these days.

Checked this one with my wife.

The pop company was called McGills and they do deliver pop and beer to Sheffield from Clowne.

Although we stopped using them I am reliably informed that they are still in business and still deliver around Intake every Tuesday.

Checked this one with my wife.

The pop company was called McGills and they do deliver pop and beer to Sheffield from Clowne.

Although we stopped using them I am reliably informed that they are still in business and still deliver around Intake every Tuesday.

I suppose having pop delivered is like having milk delivered, a bit of history in its self. A few years ago there was liitle alternative for most people. In the late 60's early 70's around Hackenthorpe we had mobile shops daily, selling all sorts of groceries and vegetables, then there was the famous "Fletchers" vans, the Alpine man, Davenports man etc etc.

Nowadays you jump in your car and go to the nearest Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury etc and probably save a few pence.

I suppose having pop delivered is like having milk delivered, a bit of history in its self. A few years ago there was liitle alternative for most people. In the late 60's early 70's around Hackenthorpe we had mobile shops daily, selling all sorts of groceries and vegetables, then there was the famous "Fletchers" vans, the Alpine man, Davenports man etc etc.

Nowadays you jump in your car and go to the nearest Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury etc and probably save a few pence.

We used to get pop man/ beer man (Alpine), mobile grocery (Burkes), mobile library (Sheffield library services), coal man (until we got rid of the coal fire in 1968), milk man (until we told him what he could do with his milk in 2005) and pools man (Littlewoods, - until my dad packed it in in favour of the National lottery)

There were also, from time to time various traders and gypsies such as the bloke who sharpened knives and garden tools, scrap man, rag and bone man and various "handy men" e.g. gardener.

Then there were the less welcome Ecyclopedia salesmen, insurance salesmen, double glazing salesmen, timeshare salesmen, house security salesmen, a whole line of religious bible bashers and the "I'm not trying to sell you anything" salesmen.

We had the "pop" man I Durham when I was a kid.

I remember the Alpine van was driven at outrageous speeds round the village and I always wondered how the bottles stopped on the back.

Seem to remember the vans were Bedfords and later Ford Transits...in a off yellow colour.

We had the "pop" man I Durham when I was a kid.

I remember the Alpine van was driven at outrageous speeds round the village and I always wondered how the bottles stopped on the back.

Seem to remember the vans were Bedfords and later Ford Transits...in a off yellow colour.

Not a good idea to open the bottles indoors just after they had been delivered without allowing them to stand for a few hours first then. lol