Well, it used to be called ...

RichardB

Most people would know that The Moor used to be called South Street, and Cambridge Street used to be known as Coal pit Lane

so what was Harvest Lanes original name ?

and what did Black Lamb's Lane (a dangerous place to go at night ...) become known as ?

So that's one new to old and one old to new.

-------------------------------------------

If you remember any of these elsewhere please post a link.

New Street used to be a continuation of ... ? (Easy)

Dover Hill became ... ? (Not so easy)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you get the drift, I can think of one person who can, potentially, answer all of these and I hope he holds his Portugal-based mouth while others have a go.

Black Lamb's Lane is now Janson Street?

Not according to my source; I have to be willing to be proved wrong. The Maps guys might help, your guess might be "round the corner", a Map would help.

What am I talking about "The Maps Guys", I bought 'em ! :blink: They know who they are ... sure they will chip in.

Black Lamb's Lane is now Janson Street?

Given that I left Sheffield in 1981 it's probably a good idea to describe the area, a major road nearby, a landmark nearby.

MAP # 179 shows part of Janson St, Attercliffe.

Far left, bottom of the 'S' for sheffield

Excellent, nowhere near the place we're looking for however.

Thanks Steve.

Do we have one of our maps; may not be as far off as I thought (duplicate Street name); is this near the Lambpool ?

Guest Richard_Fox

Although a bit more searching has brought one up around Broomhall as well? Broomhall Street?

Guest Richard_Fox

Got there in the end! :)

"Close to Fitzwilliam street I

have seen growing as fine a crop of wheat as ever gladdened the heart of

a Yorkshire farmer ; and at that time Broomhall street, or 'Black Lamb's

lane,' as it was called, was considered rather a dangerous place to go

along at night."

Think I know the 't' cock tail one as well, but I'll give someone else a shot :)

To throw one in the mix, what is Shaws-Close (Or Oxley-Croft) better known as today?

Two which though of interest are too subtle to be messing around with :

Addey Street became Addy Street April 1915 (S6 district)

and Allen's Lane became Allen Street (S3)

Adelphi Street (Upperthorpe district) used to be called ...

Argyle Road (S6) went on to become ???????? Road (the number of "?"'s is correct for the number of letters - easier to count than dots)

Let's go for a walk.

It's not raining, let's take a stroll. First we go up Spion Road (Heck, that's a steep one), turning left we head up Modder Road and finally we go along Plato Road as far as we can go; as we clibm the small pathway at the end .. we look around to find we are ..... where ?

As well as the answer, any further details as to why these names were proposed/rejected and what they were replaced by ... gratefully received.

Most people would know that The Moor used to be called South Street, and Cambridge Street used to be known as Coal pit Lane

so what was Harvest Lanes original name ?

and what did Black Lamb's Lane (a dangerous place to go at night ...) become known as ?

So that's one new to old and one old to new.

-------------------------------------------

If you remember any of these elsewhere please post a link.

Was Harvest Lane Apple Street or Orchard Street?

I may just have read it a bit. lol

New George Street became ...

Abney Street was originally known as ...

Did New George Street use to be Boston Street then became New George Street and finely George Street?

Let's go for a walk.

RichardB

Can't think how Plato comes into it but as well as the obvious Spion Kop, The Modder River was a battle location in the Boer War. If the roads were to be named for this, then perhapse they were changed because of the defeat at Spion Kop (Don't know the outcome of Nodder River.)

So I've got

1/ very steep hill

2/ an area built possibly turn of the century

Conclusion - Could be anywhere.

Bit of a clue needed here please.

A

Let's go for a walk.

RichardB

Can't think how Plato comes into it but as well as the obvious Spion Kop, The Modder River was a battle location in the Boer War. If the roads were to be named for this, then perhapse they were changed because of the defeat at Spion Kop (Don't know the outcome of Nodder River.)

So I've got

1/ very steep hill

2/ an area built possibly turn of the century

Conclusion - Could be anywhere.

Bit of a clue needed here please.

A

1900 is apparently spot on ...

First one is steep indeed , won't get very far in a car; no exit at the top. Houses only on one side (to the best of my memory). The next Street along is steeper still (THE STEEPEST) ! You're about 100 yards from the back of a (closed) Full Monty building.

Second one less steep, leads onto third one - again no exit. Only one way in and out (via Road number 1). Built as a part of a kind of private estate.

The last two "roads" share a common word, one is a View, one (the last one) isn't a Road, Street, Lane, Avenue - it's just one word (the word common to both).

Looking at my details might help, I was born on the first one, lived on the second one then ended up out the top end of the third one - near a very flat Road indeed.

Hope this helps.

Guest Gramps

Was Harvest Lane Apple Street or Orchard Street?

There was an Orchard street off Harvest lane which was renamed to Apple street, possibly to avoid confusion with the new Orchard street in the town centre when Leopold street was built.

The only other name I've come across for Harvest lane is 'Harvis' lane - in Harrison's survey; probably a misunderstanding by a suvvener for 'Sheffield speak' he he