Sheffield History

I remember in my youth that the day was like this:

Saturday Morning Cinema Club

Swimming

Wrestling On Telly

World Of Sport

Jim'll Fix It

Doctor Who

The wrestling in particular was funny - some cracking fun even if it was a 'bit daft'

Anyone else remember the wrestlers of the day ?

Mr TV Jackie Pallo

Mick McManus

Billy Two Rivers

Adrian Street

Kendo Nagasaki

Les Kellett

Kung Fu

Big Daddy

Giant Haystacks

Quality !

Les Kellet - when I was a kid I thought he was one of teh funniest guys on TV - looking back I now realise it was all staged, but at the time it was great.

All ably managed and commentetd by the great Kent Walton

AS MUCH IT WAS FIXED WE ALLWAYS SEEMED TO WATCHIT AND EVEN TALKED ABOUT IT AT WORK AS THOUGH IT WAS REAL. OTHER NAMES TO CONJURE WITH INCLUDES JIM'L FIX IT

JIMMY SAVILLE,LOCAL LADS ALBERT "ROCKY" WALL,BRIAN KILBY(DEAF AND DUMB?) AND BRIAN GLOVER (ACTOR) AND TWO CHARACTERS CATWHEEZLE AND BERT ROYAL.

You can relive those Saturday afternoons all over again if you have SKY check out channel 427 'TWCfight' and at certain times of the day reruns of Kent Walton and the gang in World Of Sport.

I remember watching the wrestling with my dad - wasn't it about then that they also had ten pin bowling regularly on Saturday afternoons, especially if the racing got cancelled?

Guest shezza91

AS MUCH IT WAS FIXED WE ALLWAYS SEEMED TO WATCHIT AND EVEN TALKED ABOUT IT AT WORK AS THOUGH IT WAS REAL. OTHER NAMES TO CONJURE WITH INCLUDES JIM'L FIX IT

JIMMY SAVILLE,LOCAL LADS ALBERT "ROCKY" WALL,BRIAN KILBY(DEAF AND DUMB?) AND BRIAN GLOVER (ACTOR) AND TWO CHARACTERS CATWHEEZLE AND BERT ROYAL.

Alan Kilby mate, not Brian. He was a bouncer at Josephines

Guest transit

I remember Kent Waltons catchphrase ,as he closed the show ,before the final football scores on "World of Sport" - "Have a great week----till next week !

Guest wisewoodowl

Brian Glover's wrestling name was Leon Aris.

I remember Bert Royal, he was born Herbert Faulkner. He often fought with his brother, Vic Faulkner, as a tag team known as the Royal Brothers.

Guest Leipzig

Brian Glover's wrestling name was Leon Aris.

I remember Bert Royal, he was born Herbert Faulkner. He often fought with his brother, Vic Faulkner, as a tag team known as the Royal Brothers.

Just a correction on the spelling of Brian Glover's wrestling name - it was Leon Arras

http://www.britishwrestling.cwc.net/gallery.htm

I seem to remember seeing a wrestling match in Yarmouth when i was in my teens between Les Kellet and Jackie Pallo when due to an illegal move by Jackie Pallo caused a severe back injurey thus ending Les Kellets wrestling career.

Thanks for that. I remember him being "Leon Arras the man fro Paris" and thoght that the spelling of Arras matched Paris lol

Blimey - that takes me back. My mum used to take us shopping every Saturday morning to FirtPark and after we went to My Grandads' sisters in Beavercoates road where as many of the family as possible would gather. All these great aunties - mild mannered ladies for the rest of the week would go mental and scream at the Telly.

Remember very well the Stars - Adrian Street, Kendo Nagasaki, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Also did they call it "Tag wrestling" when pairs would take on each other and swop as the fight went on?

Guest Genie602

Hi Folks,

Wow you've brought back some memories! My mum used to love the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon. I remember most of the big names that have already been mentioned. When I got a bit older I used to like watching the tag matches, particularly The Royal Brothers, I thought they were quite handsome!!

Genie602 lol

Guest metalmickuk

I remember in my youth that the day was like this:

Saturday Morning Cinema Club

Swimming

Wrestling On Telly

World Of Sport

Jim'll Fix It

Doctor Who

The wrestling in particular was funny - some cracking fun even if it was a 'bit daft'

Anyone else remember the wrestlers of the day ?

Mr TV Jackie Pallo

Mick McManus

Billy Two Rivers

Adrian Street

Kendo Nagasaki

Les Kellett

Kung Fu

Big Daddy

Giant Haystacks

Quality !

I saw this thing on the TV the other week and the World of Sport was mentioned.

The presenter was saying that in the early days the BBC had all the major sporting events such as tennis, cricket racing etc so when ITV tried to get in on the act there was nothing for them to cover. They had to show something so they came decieded to cover other "sports"...and we ended up with such things as the wresteling, more motorsport such as ralleys and then there were the other things such darts and skittles.

That started me thinking and when I was a kid and W.O.S was on the TV its was all motorbike and rubbish than 'proper' sport like Frank Bough had on the otherside.

As a kid though all I waited for though was the end of W.O.S so I could watch the A Team or Airwolf....much prefered Stringfellow Hawke to Dickie Davies!!

Alan Kilby mate, not Brian. He was a bouncer at Josephines

The last time he wrestled to my knowledge was on 11th October 2006 in his resident Arborthourne, and before that in Suffolk on 30 September, teaming with his son, Adam. Although he was honoured with a lifetime achievement award on a show at the City Hall on 21st January last year, but I think that must mean he's pretty much retired, he must be in his mid 60's by now, he debuted in the 60's. I hear he prefers to play pool these days.

I still do an impression of Kent Walton doing the introductory commentary to the Saturday Night Wrestling (shown on ITV 4pm until 4:45 when the "classified" football results were broadcast. It goes something like this -

"Welcome, grapling fans,

You join us at the pier end Cleethorpes,

In the 3rd round of a 5 round match between

In the red corner, from mile end, London, MR MICK McMANNUS

And, in the blue corner, MR JACKIE "MR TV" PALLO

Two falls, two submissions or a knock out to deceide the winner"

The most amazing thing about the wrestling was, it was all the older women who were engrosed in it and it was the only time you ever heard your grandmother swear!

The last time he wrestled to my knowledge was on 11th October 2006 in his resident Arborthourne, and before that in Suffolk on 30 September, teaming with his son, Adam. Although he was honoured with a lifetime achievement award on a show at the City Hall on 21st January last year, but I think that must mean he's pretty much retired, he must be in his mid 60's by now, he debuted in the 60's. I hear he prefers to play pool these days.

Where does wrestling take place on the Arbourthorne?

I didn't realise we had a venue for this sort of thing,

Or as Kent Walton wouls have it,

"Welcome, grapling fans,

You join us at the Park & Arbourthorne WMC,

In the 3rd round of a 5 round match between

In the red corner, from Arbourthorne, Sheffield, MR ALAN KILBY

And, in the blue corner, also from Arbourthorne, Sheffield, SOME TEENAGE THUG FROM NORTHERN AVENUE SHOPPING CENTRE

Two falls, two submissions or a knock out to deceide the winner"

Bert Royal and Vic Faulkner were sons of very well known and successful wrestler who went under the name of Vic Hessle