Sheffield's Lost / Closed Pubs

RichardS

Guest RichardT

Olive Grove,

East Road, S2.

I got Manfredd Manns autographs here! Has the Heeley & Sheffield closed on Gleadless Road closed?

I got Manfredd Manns autographs here! Has the Heeley & Sheffield closed on Gleadless Road closed?

Hi Richard, what year did you see the Manfred Mann there, was it the 60s?

Guest RichardT

Hi Richard, what year did you see the Manfred Mann there, was it the 60s?

Forgive my memory. I would say early seventies. I heard on Radio Sheffield/Hallam that they were signing their album 'The Good Earth', their attempt at prog rock I seem to remember. Me and my mate caught the 51 bus which stopped outside the Olive Grove, got my album signed by the band and then went home very pleased indeed! Just googled it...The Good Earth was 1974 so it would have been around then.

The Closed Shop at Commonside, after being closed for some time and then re-opening recently, is now temporarily closed for a refurb.

Guest sal1974

The Beeley Wood. Now a discount store! I have a pic but unsure how to upload it!

The Closed Shop at Commonside, after being closed for some time and then re-opening recently, is now temporarily closed for a refurb.

Refurb Complete - now re-opened.

25th July

Can someone confirm that this was the Lansdowne, we have a difference of opinion on it.

The Landsdown was on the opposite corner.

The Blue Bell, Hackenthorpe.

Off Licence and Convenience Store.

Spoke to the young man who is opening it.

At least it is an independent rather than another Sainsburys Local or such-like. (And it looks as though they're keeping the old sign.)

This could be one of the last photos to include the white van. I'm soon to become "Dark Red Van Man" if all goes to plan. Should be on the road in a couple of weeks I hope.

(I will of course be transferring the Personal Numberplate) lol

The Blue Bell, Hackenthorpe.

Off Licence and Convenience Store.

attachicon.gifBlue Bell Hackenthorpe.jpg

Spoke to the young man who is opening it.

At least it is an independent rather than another Sainsburys Local or such-like. (And it looks as though they're keeping the old sign.)

This could be one of the last photos to include the white van. I'm soon to become "Dark Red Van Man" if all goes to plan. Should be on the road in a couple of weeks I hope.

(I will of course be transferring the Personal Numberplate) lol

Careful Vox, posting that on a public forum, the Parking Services people will be scouring the DVLA database for a small white van with the registration VOX ! lol

HD

Scarborough Arms, Addy Street.

Google Streetview as of Nov. 2012

Note the sign which bears the name "Scarbro Hotel"

Can anyone make out the date above ?

If it is 1857, then it contradicts the 1841 "open date" that we have for it.

My money is that the plaque says 1857 based on Google's resolution, and the below information.

William Tarlington was at the Ball Inn, Scotland street in March 1858 (he was robbed), but by 27th August 1859 was being refused a spirits licence for the Scarborough Hotel. The licence was eventually granted to him on 1st Setember 1860. In May 1862 Mr Tarlington at the Scarboro Hotel was the victim of an attempted 1 shilling swindle. The licence was transferred to Henry Smart on 30th March 1867.

What is the basis of the 1841 date?

To the best of my memory, I took the best information then available (Pub on Every Corner and A-Z of Sheffield Pubs) combined it and we've been adding/amending/improving on that ever since.

So 1841 is probably listed in one of those publications, could be right, could be wrong, Tarling is the first named keeper - no-one else was brave/stupid enough to attempt putting keepers names and a date to the premises listed.

For newer members viewing the pubs lists we require the following items to be able to include someone on the list.

Persons name, premises name (even if that is just beerhouse), an address (preferably to Street lvel, but some are easy to work out and a date (from Trade Directory - low quality data, newspaper article, Census information - much better quality)

bung all that together on work on it for eight years and you arrive at the SheffieldHistory A-Z of Pubs. Additions, corrections and the removal of duplicates etc etc will go on. 1857 on a stone is pretty good dating evidence, but as mentioned it could have been there before a re-build as part of the development of the district. We will never know, or will we ? Keep looking. lol

What is the basis of the 1841 date?