Sheffield's Lost / Closed Pubs

RichardS

I was born and raised in Sheffield though I have not been back for quite a few years. I was unpleasantly surprised to see these closures, quite a few were regular calls for me in my younger days though some of the "newer" ones I have never seen. My favourite pub was The Adelphi which closed when I was still living in Sheffield. Other favourites were up West Street, the West Street Hotel, the Saddle, the Warncliffe and the pub opposite the Warncliffe, the name I can not remember, it was on the corner of Holly Street. I wonder how many of these survive and if so are they still proper pubs. EDIT I have just had a closer look and this is very sad, are there any decent pubs left in Sheffield.

I've been saddened and enthralled as I ploughed through the whole of this thread. Well done to the photosleuths who took the pictures..

Many of these pubs must have been at the beating heart of their local communities (such as, I suspect, The Industry). Others were probably grotholes which didn't deserve to stay open. Some have great architectural merit, others would look better after a visit from a bulldozer, but they're all part of history. Reading the thread made me wonder if there are any pubs still open in Sheffield.

When I lived in Sheffield I was too young to go in pubs but I do remember at least two of the ones in this thread (Old Harrow, Elm Tree) as they were near my home. I also remember the Punch Bowl and the New Inn in Gleadless, which I assume are still open. The New Inn was a Tetley's pub: I remember this because the landlord had a miniature Yorkshire terrier called Tetley!

I was born and raised in Sheffield though I have not been back for quite a few years. I was unpleasantly surprised to see these closures, quite a few were regular calls for me in my younger days though some of the "newer" ones I have never seen. My favourite pub was The Adelphi which closed when I was still living in Sheffield. Other favourites were up West Street, the West Street Hotel, the Saddle, the Warncliffe and the pub opposite the Warncliffe, the name I can not remember, it was on the corner of Holly Street. I wonder how many of these survive and if so are they still proper pubs. EDIT I have just had a closer look and this is very sad, are there any decent pubs left in Sheffield.

The one on Holly St? Was it the Red Lion.

Joe Tomlinson, sometime Landlord ( actually it was his wife's' name over the door) of the Scarborough Arms ,always reckoned he had to have the bar counter absolutely full of pulled pints before he opened the doors at Noon on a Sunday...so busy was the pub. Swearing in front of a lady, by anyone, was met by instant barring of the individual....that was during the 1980's

Joe Tomlinson, sometime Landlord ( actually it was his wife's' name over the door) of the Scarborough Arms ,always reckoned he had to have the bar counter absolutely full of pulled pints before he opened the doors at Noon on a Sunday...so busy was the pub. Swearing in front of a lady, by anyone, was met by instant barring of the individual....that was during the 1980's

Hello lysander,

When I first was old enough to go in pubs in the 60's even words which would not now be considered swearing were met with " mixed company lad" in most pubs in Sheffield, though in Manchester and some other cities anything went in men only pubs / bars.

My Dad took me into my first pub in the mid 1950's...I was about 14 years old...I hasten to add I didn't have a drink... but he started to explain the "etiquette" of how to use pubs....what to look out for....when to speak and when to remain quiet. Good advice and I well remember the phrase " mixed company"...which, a few years later , whilst drinking in the Fox and Duck, Tinsley was sorely tested whenever the "girls" from Sheffield Steel Products came in. Their language and use of expletives was enough to make a young lads hair curl. :blink:

Driving through Upperthorpe yesterday when i realised that the Scarborough Arms is no longer a pub.

From a quick glance it now seems to be a sort of mini-market or similar.

If this has been noted before then apologies.

There was a lot of conjecture that the place wouldn't re-open after the tragic happenings there, but it did for a little while.

HD

It did re-open after the tragic happenings but not for long and as you say it

is now a mini market.

Driving through Upperthorpe yesterday when i realised that the Scarborough Arms is no longer a pub.

From a quick glance it now seems to be a sort of mini-market or similar.

If this has been noted before then apologies.

There was a lot of conjecture that the place wouldn't re-open after the tragic happenings there, but it did for a little while.

HD

No need to apologise HD, always better to duplicate than miss.

Here's a photo of it as it is now

The Ship Inn at Neepsend has sunk...

​Shalesmoor/Dun Fields ??

Damn shame, though how it survived amongst all the redevelopment I don't know. Fine old example of a "tiled boozer".

The Ship Inn at Neepsend has sunk...

​I got the impression it is to be refurbished and re-opened to keep in line with the other real ale pubs in the area.

​I got the impression it is to be refurbished and re-opened to keep in line with the other real ale pubs in the area.

Hope this is the case.​

Hope this is the case.​

​Yes,they are keeping the frontage but it will no longer be a pub.