Hadfields of Sheffield

Guest grahamfutter

Guest bblenkin

My grandfather was Ernest Blenkinsop who played for Wednesday & England between the wars. Somebody told me he worked at Hadfields during the war before he became a publican in Crosspool. Does anybody know if there is any records of who worked at Hadfields anywhere that would enable me to confirm if this is correct, or how long he worked there?

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest Barbara M

My father also worked at Hadfields in " no 1 machine shop extension " , his name was Alf Ray & he was a horizontal borer. He worked there during the war & left in late 50's early 60's ( I can't remember the exact year ) to go to Daniel Doncaster on Penistone Rd.

He died at the age of 49 after a brain haemorrhage in Dec 1966.

I believe that my grandfather worked at Hadfields - he certainly worked in the steelworks, probably til the late 50's. His name was Joe Wilkinson, and he was lollipop man at Wincobank School when he retired.

I have his stainless steel cufflinks which were presented to him for 25 years service - (see poor photo) - there is a logo of a leaping deer - was this Hadfields' mark? Also I recall something about the cufflinks being made of metal that was special in some way - maybe the first batch of a particular type?

Does this ring any bells? - Cheers!

Further investigations... Joe worked at Edgar Allens not Hadfields - I'll start a new thread under the correct heading.

My dad Frank worked there till it's closure.

Here's a rule book he saved for some reason!

In the later years he worked as a spray painter there.

Taken in 1973

Taken in 1977

Guest paulwebb

I'm doing some research into the layout of Hadfields works at Hecla and East Hecla with regard to the narrow gauge railway system, 2 of the narrow gauge locos were named "Finland" and "Czecho" and among the standard gauge engines were "France" and "Poland", does anyone have any photos of the locos in action and any layout plans of the site that they are willing to share? If I am able to get enough together then I may be able to publish a booklet on the site and will credit any photos to their source.

Paul

I remember Jack Bowles...I worked at Hadfields near neighbours, Tinsley Rolling Mills Co.Ltd, and we bought silico-manganese billets from them. We were taken over by Rotherham Forge and subsequently by Brown Bayley's ( and , like a rat, I then left as fast as I could). They, in turn, fell under the spell of Tiny Rowlands and his reverse take-over... when the much smaller Dunford -Elliot took over Hadfields to form Dunford- Hadfields. Meantime, Oliver Jessel was buying up cash rich,Firth-Brown to form Johnson- Firth Brown. All of this led up to a great , sorry , chaotic mess with everything closing down as demand for (UK) steel collapsed as a result of an economic crisis which many believe was self imposed!

My Grandfather worked there he was a manager in the file shop. Kenneth Goodwin was his name if anyone remembers him. He had loads of photos of hadfields but sadly they went missing after he died. The only one I have is when they did a fishing match with the firm. My grandfather is on the far left. My father David Goodwin was doing his apprentice, there he is next to him. Not sure who the other peeps was. Looks like it was set down in groups for the match for it says Forge no 3 Team. Pickering trophy winners 1959. Is pickering the one being presented the cup i wonder?

Soldier’s body shield manufactured by Hadfield Ltd, 1916 (Sheffield Archives: HAD/Box 57)

Source Document

World-War-One-Research-Guide--PDF--2-5MB-.pdf
From the collections of Sheffield Libraries Archives and Information

Where and when to start , I had a blue print of Hadfield but I cannot find it with moving home but I know the layout of the firm, great to hear from you, thank you.

I Served my apprenticeship at the east hecla shop as a turner in number one machine shop ,1951 Ihave a copy of the booklet Your career published in 1951.in the early 60s I emigrated to Canada I spent the last 23 years of my working life as a Machinist millwright instructor at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.The broad band of knowlage that I gaind from Hadfields sure paid dividends for me .

I never worked at Hadfields but my father and brother did. Here are a couple of photos of some old mining equipment I came across in the wilds of New Zealand. Cast in the rim of the wheel "Hadfields best cast steel Sheffield" . Brought a smile to my face.

Nellie Gunstone who worked all her life in heavy industry as a borer - pictured retiring from Hadfields in 1979. s22761.jpg.eb9853a6427c5189c4c0811d1840ccea.jpgs22761

Audrey Watson behind a lathe at Hadfields. 1942. a00681.jpg.b1197d43968b01c2c1a8c3961432bae5.jpga00681

• Like 1