They Appeared At The City Hall

dunsbyowl1867

24th July 1942

Concert - Halle Orchestra leader Laurance Turner, violinist Henry Holst, conductor Malcolm Sargent. Sheffield City Hall. Handel, Brahms, Grieg and Tchaikovsky.

eBay

October or November 1956 Lionel Hampton and his Orchestra appeared at the City Hall twice. The first concert was welcomed with terrific ovations, but only half the seats were occupied. A few weeks later he returned for a second concert receiving the same ovations but once again only half the seats were occupied. It was said that the real die hard Jazz followers didn't like the fact that some of his music was verging on rock 'n' roll. I was there and I loved every minute of both concerts.

From 1954 to 1957 I attended quite a few jazz concerts featuring Humphrey Littleton and his band or Chris Barber Jazz band with Ottillie Paterson a female vocalist. One concert with Humphrey Littleton, his guitarist Lonnie Donegan featured a comic act called a skiffle group, which ended up bringing him to world wide fame. One of the songs he sang was Rock Island Line.

5th and 15th November 1956

"His first tour of the UK was controversial because he included rock'n'roll. Johnny Dankworth walked out of one of his concerts and demanded his money back. Melody Maker published letters such as "Spare us this trash , Hampton" "

Source

October or November 1956 Lionel Hampton and his Orchestra appeared at the City Hall twice. The first concert was welcomed with terrific ovations, but only half the seats were occupied. A few weeks later he returned for a second concert receiving the same ovations but once again only half the seats were occupied. It was said that the real die hard Jazz followers didn't like the fact that some of his music was verging on rock 'n' roll. I was there and I loved every minute of both concerts.

15th December 1956 - Humphrey Littleton

Source

From 1954 to 1957 I attended quite a few jazz concerts featuring Humphrey Littleton and his band or Chris Barber Jazz band with Ottillie Paterson a female vocalist. One concert with Humphrey Littleton, his guitarist Lonnie Donegan featured a comic act called a skiffle group, which ended up bringing him to world wide fame. One of the songs he sang was Rock Island Line.

I assume that Borosis needed two evenings to play one of their "songs" in its entirety.

Great reminiscences of Lionel Hampton at City Hall - I never knew that he had been to Sheffield. I can't imagine the master of the vibraphones playing rock'n'roll but if he did, I can imagine him and his band doing so with gusto and aplomb.

20th - 25th April 1953 - Send Her Victorious, Salute of Youth to a Youthful Queen.

A rare programme of a pageant produced by the South Yorkshire Boy Scouts 20th - 25th April 1953 in the City Hall Sheffield. Titled Send Her Victorious, Salute of Youth to a Youthful Queen. It contains a list of the committee members and also the great & good of the County Organisation. There is a large photo of Lord Rowallan & information on him & scouting in South Yorkshire. It also lists the production cast, & the script with the words of many songs. There is music & words to the Scouts Marching Song & lots of advertisements of local firms.

Source

Guest Imre Varadi

Heres a few gigs and memories of bands i saw at the City Hall in the early to mid 70's.

Van Der Graaf Generator/Bronco...Cochise were supposed to play first but didn't appear

Audience/Renaissance

ELO/Fishbaugh Fishbaugh and Zorn

ELO/Colin Bluntsone...not sure which gig was first,but ELO had Roy Wood with them,dressed as a monk...both gigs were only seen by about 300 people,it was deserted.

Led Zeppelin 1973,every ticket was £1 i think,..i'd lost my ticket!! Mega panic as they were my heroes and probably the biggest band in the world.It was my one and only visit to The Barleycorn on Cambridge Street before the concert.We walked up the steps,my 2 mates walked in,one came back out to buy a poster and gave me the other friends ticket stub!! We walked back in to see scaffolding in front of the stage to stop women getting to rock god Robert Plant.I've never seen women go as wild as they did that night,lots of womens undies thrown on stage!! So as awesome as it was to see the legends live,the down side was Robert Plant had flu and could hardly sing.

Saw Mott The Hoople twice.Ian Hunter had his iron cross guitar and im sure they were supported by Hackensack.I too was at the gig when Paul Rodgers Peace was the support,Peace were a trio and Paul Rodgers was on guitar,not sure which gig was which after over 40 years ago but i saw Mott The Hooples Rock and Roll Circus show too.There was a knife throwing act on,plus 2 people whizzing round a small table wearing roller skates!! But the other support was comedian Max Wall,who did his usual act wearing the long coat,he came off stage and walked up the aisle telling jokes that nobody laughed at,he got booed off if i remember correctly.

Faust/Gong..73/74ish

4 Tops/Edwin Starr

Streetwalkers...where Roger Chapman broke several tambourines and mike stands.

Edgar Broughton Band/Fusion Orchestra

King Crimson/Lloyd Watson?

Curved Air/Gordon Giltrap?

Free/Sutherland Brothers?

Yes..Rick Wakemans first tour.

Deep Purple/Glencoe

Manfred Manns Earthband/Racing Cars....brilliant gig, 1976 maybe

Peter Gabriel/Nona Hendryx

Humble Pie/Framptons Camel 72ish

Theres more but the sands of time have caught up i'm afraid.

Some good names there, and a couple of less good ones!

Paul Rodgers, whom I hadn't heard of for ages, has just recorded a soul album in Memphis, 'The Royal Sessions', and it's surprisingly good.

Guest Paul Haze Harrison

My first three shows at the City Hall (if you don't count Terry Hall & Lenny The Lion sometime in the mid 60's)

22ND OCTOBER 1973 ROXY MUSIC (supported by LEO SAYER)

25TH OCTOBER 1973 GENESIS

22ND JANUARY 1974 BECK, BOGART AND APPICE

Great reminiscences of Lionel Hampton at City Hall - I never knew that he had been to Sheffield. I can't imagine the master of the vibraphones playing rock'n'roll but if he did, I can imagine him and his band doing so with gusto and aplomb.

No need to imagine: Lionel Hampton 1957

Sheffield Conservative & Unionist Federation

Mass Meeting with Viscount Swinton, Minister for Civil Aviation

Tuesday 29th May 1945

Sheffield Philharmonic Society - fourteenth season 1948 - 1949

29 October Concert Halle Orchestra conducted by John Barbirolli.

Sylvia

Petrushka

William Tell

Facade

Nell Gwynn Dances

Bolero

eBay