They Appeared At The City Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I see someone has mentiond the Halle at the City Hall. Of course, they were a fixture at the City Hall for many years, on Fridays and Saturdays in the "season". May I suggest that the Halle's appearances be included in some way separately --for instance, it would be good to know when they first appeared and some of their special concerts, and it is possible this could be summed up in a Hall "extra" either on the end of the list, or, as I say, separately. What do you think?

7th October 1971 Mott the Hoople/Peace

(Now who were "Peace" ?)

They were Paul Rogers' short lived band, formed when Free broke up in 71.

"... With Fraser off to form TOBY with guitarist Adrian Fisher and drummer Stan Speaks, Paul Rodgers also formed a new group, fronting Stewart McDonald and Mich Underwood as Peace. While Peace would open for MOTT THE HOOPLE on their UK Tour .." (http://www.allrightnow.com/fws/free.htm)

1st December 1972 Wishbone Ash

I think this was my first attendance at a rock gig - in which case the support werre "Home"

7th December 1972 Blackfoot Sue/Medicine Head

I saw Blackfoot Sue in '75 at the Omega? club in Chesterfield - strictly out of the area, but where was that?

1969 Post updated with info supplied by abcman

In 1969 when the Lyceum Theatre closed, the City Hall became home to four of Sheffield's large amateur operatic societies who prior to this staged their annual shows at the Lyceum. They were the Sheffield Teachers Operatic Society (now back at the Lyceum),Croft House Operatic Society (now back at the Lyceum),Sheffield Amateur Operatic Society (now disbanded) and Elmsdale Amateur Operatic Society (now presenting at the Montgomery). A fifth one later moved there from the Montgomery - Manor Operatic Society, who are now the only society to still stage there annual production there plus of course their popular Christmas pantomimes.

early 1960s (and into 1970s) Cliff Richard & the Shadows, Marty Wilde and the Wildcats, Everley Bros. Kalin Twins. Wee Willie Harris. Bo Didley.

early 1960s (and into 1970s) Cliff Richard & the Shadows, Marty Wilde and the Wildcats, Everley Bros. Kalin Twins. Wee Willie Harris. Bo Didley.

When

Not the title of a Kalin twins hit but a request for exact dates.

Cliff Richard always seems to tour Britain around October for his birthday but these days he usually appears at the Arena rather than the City Hall, as do many acts who can pull in large crowds.

American acts like the Everleys and Bo Didley probably only appeared once or twice in Sheffield throughout their careers.

When

Cliff Richard always seems to tour Britain around October for his birthday but these days he usually appears at the Arena rather than the City Hall, as do many acts who can pull in large crowds.

American acts like the Everleys and Bo Didley probably only appeared once or twice in Sheffield throughout their careers.

If I recall it correctly the Kalin Twins were top of the bill the first time Cliff appeared at the City Hall - say 1959. So Marty Wilde, Wee Willie Harris, Everley brothers I know appeared there between 1959 - Mar 1961. We sneaked into the City Hall the morning after the Everley Brothers had appeared with Cliff to find them (Everlys) asleep on a couple of sofas in the dressing room. Cliff's pink suit was hung on a hanger over the door. We touched it but never even pinched a button of it. We would often go into the City Hall after school to watch rehearsals. Usually the acts did Wednesday nights as one night stands - not today's interpretation of one night stands I hasten to add. They would arrive mid afternoon just as we had our Physics lesson in a room overlooking the Artiste's entrance. I and my friend Christine sat very close to the window and learnt very little regarding Physics. My first Cliff Richard concert cost me 4 bob to sit behind him on the stage in the cheapest seats. And we were so good - never thought to mob him.

I would love to go to Cliff's shows (and others) if he had them at the City Hall but I find the Arena overpriced, difficult to see if you get a good seat towards the front as everyone stands up clapping and swaying all the time. People coming and going buying booze all the time. I've tried sitting at the sides but there is little leg room for anyone like me who has joint problems etc. (of the limbs not smoking!) And I can't see the point of paying through the nose to watch him on a screen in the Arena. I just wait and buy the video now.

Lyn

If I recall it correctly the Kalin Twins were top of the bill the first time Cliff appeared at the City Hall - say 1959. So Marty Wilde, Wee Willie Harris, Everley brothers I know appeared there between 1959 - Mar 1961. We sneaked into the City Hall the morning after the Everley Brothers had appeared with Cliff to find them (Everlys) asleep on a couple of sofas in the dressing room. Cliff's pink suit was hung on a hanger over the door. We touched it but never even pinched a button of it. We would often go into the City Hall after school to watch rehearsals. Usually the acts did Wednesday nights as one night stands - not today's interpretation of one night stands I hasten to add. They would arrive mid afternoon just as we had our Physics lesson in a room overlooking the Artiste's entrance. I and my friend Christine sat very close to the window and learnt very little regarding Physics. My first Cliff Richard concert cost me 4 bob to sit behind him on the stage in the cheapest seats. And we were so good - never thought to mob him.

I would love to go to Cliff's shows (and others) if he had them at the City Hall but I find the Arena overpriced, difficult to see if you get a good seat towards the front as everyone stands up clapping and swaying all the time. People coming and going buying booze all the time. I've tried sitting at the sides but there is little leg room for anyone like me who has joint problems etc. (of the limbs not smoking!) And I can't see the point of paying through the nose to watch him on a screen in the Arena. I just wait and buy the video now.

Lyn

Not paying attention in Physics Lyn, SHAME ON YOU (note, - a science teacher talking here)

If your school room overlooked the City Hall are we talking about the old Central Technical School on West Street / Leopold Street where the Education Offices used to be but it is currently a nice little square with restraunts in?

If you were at Central Tech. (only school I can think of that close to the City Hall, but I thought it was a boys school at the time), was your Physics teacher either Mr. Groarke or Mr. Harrington?

Not paying attention in Physics Lyn, SHAME ON YOU (note, - a science teacher talking here)

If your school room overlooked the City Hall are we talking about the old Central Technical School on West Street / Leopold Street where the Education Offices used to be but it is currently a nice little square with restraunts in?

If you were at Central Tech. (only school I can think of that close to the City Hall, but I thought it was a boys school at the time), was your Physics teacher either Mr. Groarke or Mr. Harrington?

I did not go to the Central Tech, though it was not for the want of trying [twice]. I did know one of the teachers though, a Mr Hedley.

I did not go to the Central Tech, though it was not for the want of trying [twice]. I did know one of the teachers though, a Mr Hedley.

It wasn't OUR Mr. Headley who finished up at Norfolk was it?

Known to us as Deadly Headley

Deadly Headley

It wasn't OUR Mr. Headley who finished up at Norfolk was it?

Known to us as Deadly Headley

Deadly Headley

I used to deliver milk to their house on Bishopshome Road, he drove a green Vauxhall Wyvern and from 1964 a blue Vauxhall Viva.

Went to the City Grammar - a mixed school. Physics teacher Mr MacPherson

Lyn

Went to the City Grammar - a mixed school. Physics teacher Mr MacPherson

Lyn

Excellent reply Lyn 1 as that may just clear up some confusion about what happened to these city centre schools.

Would I be right in saying that City Grammar moved out to Stradbrook Road in about 1964 and became City School (my sons old secondary school)

and that Central technical moved out to Gleadless Road in 1961 to become, eventually Ashleigh (my old A level school)

There seems to be some confusion in places as to which school was which and which one went where.

Excellent reply Lyn 1 as that may just clear up some confusion about what happened to these city centre schools.

Would I be right in saying that City Grammar moved out to Stradbrook Road in about 1964 and became City School (my sons old secondary school)

and that Central technical moved out to Gleadless Road in 1961 to become, eventually Ashleigh (my old A level school)

There seems to be some confusion in places as to which school was which and which one went where.

Yes it was around 1964 when the City Grammar moved out there and became City School.

lyn

Yes it was around 1964 when the City Grammar moved out there and became City School.

lyn

Thanks Lyn 1, thats what I thought.

Anyway, we seem to have drifted a bit off topic, so who else has appeared at the City Hall and when?

Thanks Lyn 1, thats what I thought.

Anyway, we seem to have drifted a bit off topic, so who else has appeared at the City Hall and when?

On Sunday 23rd November 1975 during the campaign to re-open the Lyceum Theatre, the Lyceum Trust held a concert in the City Hall.Sheffield's own Jimmy Jewell was the compere and other people appearing included Derek Batey (from TV's Mr & Mrs),Michael Denison & Dulcie Gray, Joe 'Mr Piano'Henderson,Sheffield singer Toni Dali, Jane Fyffe, members of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company (the biggest hit of the evening I seem to remember) and the choruses of the Sheffield Teachers - Croft House - Elmsdale & Sheffield Amateur operatic societies who all used to stage their productions at the Lyceum.

This is a flyer for the concert.

When

I saw the Everlys there in the ninetys. Must check the date.

Guest binsted71

I saw the Everlys there in the ninetys. Must check the date.

The Everly Brothers were(are) one of my all time favourite acts. I've seen them a number of times in Sheffield also at Manchester Apollo but the best show was the Reunion Concert at the Albert Hall in London.

:rolleyes:

Guest ufo20

I saw Pink Floyd there doing the Echoes tour around 1971

Around the same time we went to see a popular band at that time called Van de Graph Generator they were crap.

The two backing groups we had never heard of were brilliant:

Lindisfarne and

Genesis

Guest ufo20

Hello, I saw Pink Floyd at Sheffield City Hall in February 1972. The 'Echoes' tour was an 'embyonic' first play of some of 'Dark side of the Moon'. Other songs they played were from 'Meddle', etc, including 'One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces', 'Echoes', Set the Controls'. I remember they were very loud and were playing in 'quadrophonic sound'. Great memories!

Hello, I saw Pink Floyd at Sheffield City Hall in February 1972. The 'Echoes' tour was an 'embyonic' first play of some of 'Dark side of the Moon'. Other songs they played were from 'Meddle', etc, including 'One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces', 'Echoes', Set the Controls'. I remember they were very loud and were playing in 'quadrophonic sound'. Great memories!

Welcome Ufo20, I was nine at the time, almost 10; still don't think I would have "got it" at the time. I'd now happily chew my own head off to have been there ... more Rock memories please from bands I missed ...