They Appeared At The City Hall

Nether Edge School, Speech Day. 15th February 1934

eBay

Nether Edge School Sheffield speech day 1934 = lists:

Headmaster & Staff
Programme
Hymn
Successes of the School

South Yorkshire Branch Club & Institute Union.

Souvenir Programme - Celebrity Concert - City Hall Sheffield 29th Aug 1948.

Proceeds in aid of Convalescent Homes Supported by South Yorkshire Branch.

The programme is fully signed in middle by :

Michael Howard - Comedian.

Gita De La Fuente - Opera.

Isador Goodman - Australian Pianist.

Arthur Tolcher - Harmonica Player.

Helga Stone - " Never the Same Girl Twice"

Stancey - of Stancey & Page - A Musical "*** - Bit"

Moore & Hatton - Harmony at the Piano.

Walter Midgley - Edinburgh International Festival Fame.

Gladys Vernon - Walter Midgley Accompanist.

Richard Murdock - Star of "Much Bidding in the Marsh"

----------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly I can't even post a link !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUTH-YORKSHIRE-BRANCH-CLUB-Celebrity-Concert-City-Hall-Sheffield-1948-Signed-/131627593829?hash=item1ea59db065:g:Fd8AAOSwVL1WEsrM

I'm probably too late for my contribution to this topic, but does anyone remember Jewel and Warris? They appeared regularly in Sheffield (I believe Jimmy Jewel was a Sheffielder) at, I think, the Lyceum. My mother took us to see them and I remember distinctly (I'd be about 6, in the early 50s) they had a backdrop of a semi-naked female and Jimmy would wiggle his fingers near her bum, as if tickling her there - my mother was so outraged she said "come on, we're gooin" so I only saw them for about ten minutes of their act!

1 hour ago, JoeG said:

I'm probably too late for my contribution to this topic, but does anyone remember Jewel and Warris? They appeared regularly in Sheffield (I believe Jimmy Jewel was a Sheffielder) at, I think, the Lyceum. My mother took us to see them and I remember distinctly (I'd be about 6, in the early 50s) they had a backdrop of a semi-naked female and Jimmy would wiggle his fingers near her bum, as if tickling her there - my mother was so outraged she said "come on, we're gooin" so I only saw them for about ten minutes of their act!

Hello.

We have a topic about Jewel & Warriss,  here ......

I saw Louis Armstrong at the City Hall May 8 1962,  first house at 6.20 because 8.50 was fully booked, I think.   Sheffield Telegraph website suggests many other jazz greats appeared there in the 60s - Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan, Count Basie and Duke Ellington are all mentioned.  I also saw many great classical artists at the Civic Hall during my 1959-62 time at the Uni., e.g. Sir John Barbirolli (Sibelius' Second), Geza Anda (playing Beethoven and photographed in the next day's papers rushing off at the end to grasp a cigarette from an aide), George Weldon, Leonard Pennario (Ravel Piano Concerto), Ann Schein (Rachmaninov 3rd Piano Concerto).  The Halle Orchestra, led by Martin Milner, played the same programme on Friday and Saturday nights alternating between Sheffield and Manchester.   Front row seat right under the leader's seat for 2/- (10p).    Great memories.