They Appeared At The City Hall

dunsbyowl1867

21st October 1935 Richard Tauber and Simon Barer

and I never thought I'd get to type this is a sensible post :

Furtwangler.

1935 Richard Tauber Simon Barer Kahn Sheffield concert programme [Furtwangler]

Original vintage pre-war programme for a concert given as part of a British tour by Richard Tauber and Simon Barer

This is a generic programme for a UK tour in the autumn of 1937, but the original owner has written the date in pencil on the cover, and from the tour schedule given inside, this date corresponds to the Sheffield performance

International Celebrity Subscription Concerts : Director Harold Holt : Season 1935-36

21 October 1935 [sheffield City Hall]

Schubert Three Lieder a) Fruhlingsglaube B) Der Doppelganger c) Standchen
Chopin Piano Soli a) Ballade, G minor B) Waltz, A flat major
Grieg a) Letzter Fruhling B) Ein Traum
Richard Strauss c) Traum durch die Dammerung d) Heimliche Auffordering
Liszt Piano Soli a) Liebestraum B) Twelfth Rhapsody
Lehar Song from 'Zigeunerliebe' - 'Gluck hat als Gast nie lange Rast'; Song ffrom 'The land of Smiles' - Immer nur lacheln'; Song from 'Friedericke' - O Madchen mein Madchen'

Richard Tauber tenor [full page photo]
Simon Barer piano [full page photo]

Percy Kahn 'At the piano'

Programme notes "His Master's Voice" Records

Full page list of UK tour dates, with venues, for Richard Tauber and Percy Kahn

Advertisements
Two page ad for Tauber's 'exclusive Parlophone [photo] - Odeon recordings; two page ad for His Master's voice recordings with Simon Barer, Fischer, Backhaus, Cortot, Schnabel, Rubinstein and Harriet Cohen; Glyndebourne Mozart Festival under Fritz Busch, Carl Ebert; Morny of Regent Street; Coles Brothers, Fargate, Sheffield; Raynes shoes; Steinway - 'the instrument of the immortals'
Bluthner miniature Grand …is made entirely in… Leipzig 'The piano with the golden tone', endorsed by Furtwangler [photo] - 'The Bluthner piano on which I played the Brandenburger Concerto of Bach at the Gewandhaus Concert was a source of the greatest pleasure to me. Your instruments really do sing - which is, after all, the best thing one can say of a Piano'

eBay
Our first for 1935 !?!

June 23rd 1967.

The Original Drifters, Ronnie Jones & The Q Set, Pitiful Souls, the Trends, Amboy Dukes. Compere Peter Stringfellow.

Possibly one further act: Alan Bown Set springs to mine but I can't be sure.

I was there.

5 Feb. 1945

Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor Vilem Tausky. Leader and Soloist David Wise. Concert at Sheffield City Hall 5 Feb. 1945. Borodin's Prince Igor Overture, Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole, Handel's Water Music and Brahms' First Symphony. Historical item from a wartime ENSA concert. The programme has been carefully looked after but the paper quality is poor and there is some fading. Consists of 4 sides.

eBay

8th december 1944

Halle Orchestra wartime Sheffield City Hall concert programme consisting of a 6 side fold-over sheet. Each side 6 1/2 by 4 inches. Friday 8th December, 1944. Various musical pieces including Sibelius' 3rd Symphony. One of the fortnightly concerts organised by the Sheffield Philharmonic Society. Conductor John Barbirolli, singer Kathleen Ferrier, violin Laurance Turner, cello Haydn Rogerson.

eBay