12th May 1972 Slade/Status Quo

25th May 1972 Arthur Brown & Kingdom Come

25th September 1972 Stray/Pretty Things

28th September 1972 Deep Purple/Glencoe

30th September 1972 Stone the Crows

3rd October 1972 Lindisfarne/Genesis

14th October 1972 Jackson Heights/Magna Carta

23rd October 1972 Steeleye Span/Amazing Blondel

2nd November 1972 Barclay James Harvest (Cancelled)

7th November 1972 Humble Pie

9th November 1972 Slade/Thin Lizzy

25th November 1972 ELP

27th November 1972 Cat Stevens

1st December 1972 Wishbone Ash

4th December 1972 King Crimson

5th December 1972 Hawkwind

7th December 1972 Blackfoot Sue/Medicine Head

14th December 1972 Camel

15th December 1972 Groundhogs

22nd December 1972 Faces

28th December 1972 Geordie

1st February 1973 Family

8th February 1973 Al Stewart

20th February 1973 Deep Purple/Nazareth

28th April 1973 Bert Jansch

2nd April 1973 Curved Air

6th April 1973 Ten Years After

12th December 1973 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

14th March 1973 Status Quo/Byzantium

17th March 1973 King Crimson/Claire Hamill

21st March 1973 Geordie

23rd March 1973 Strawbs

28th March 1973 Roxy Music/Sharks

6th June 1973 David Bowie

12th June 1973 Slade/Sensational Alex Harvey Band

14th June 1973 Wishbone Ash

4th July 1973 Paul McCartney and Wings

25th September 1973 Argent

8th October 1973 Gong

24th January 1974 T. Rex

6th May 1974 Deep Purple/Elf with Ronnie Dio

10th May 1974 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

9th October 1974 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Dates by e-mail from OCSK

Additions to City Hall list (some already inserted)

Nov 19th 1952 Gracie Fields

April 19th 1954 Johnnie Ray

April 30th 1954 Yma Sumac

May 7th 1954 Mantovani & His New Orchestra –“returning by public demand”.

May 12th &13th 1954 Guy Mitchell, with Ronnie Scott & His Orchestra

May 19th 1954 Gracie Fields

March 4 1958 Buddy Holly

17th May 1968 Honeybus

(Honeybus hit ???)

The only hit by Honeybus was the song later adopted in the 1980's by the Conservative party to honour their leader, Britain's first female Prime Minister.

It was called "I can't let Maggie go"

It was also used in the 60's on a television advertisement for Nimble light bread, which featured this song and a girl in a hot air balloon.

Some of Gary Numan's many visits!

8 October 1979 Gary Numan

25 September 1983 Gary Numan

5 December 1984 Gary Numan

25 September 1985 Gary Numan

17th April 1980

Genesis

The show ...

Deep In The Motherlode

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

Carpet Crawl

Squonk

One for the Vine

[The story of Albert]

Behind the Lines

Duchess

Guide Vocal

Turn It On Again

Duke's Travels

Duke's End

Say It's Alright Joe

The Lady Lies

Ripples

In The Cage

Raven

Afterglow

Follow You Follow Me

Dance On A Volcano

Los Endos

I Know What I Like (in your wardrobe)

When The Count outshone the rain

November 1958

No exact date; but some nice detail ...

http://www.memorylane.org.uk/previous_articles.htm

By Tony Parker

Almost everyone can remember the first time that they saw one of the great American bands in action in this country, when they were allowed to visit after the lifting of the notorious Anglo-American Musicians' ban in the 1950s. My recollection, although perhaps a little different than most, is every bit as relevant. In my case it wasn't so much the exciting prospect of seeing and hearing the great Count Basie orchestra in action, on a cold, wet and windy November night at the City Hall, Sheffield, in 1958, but more a question of whether or not I'd be able to get into this marvellous South Yorkshire venue. Also, it wasn't that I didn't have a front-stall ticket. I did. In fact, that night I had more tickets than I could handle. Intrigued? Then let me elucidate.

As a band-loving teenager, and living in a town that was starved of such attractions, I used to organise sold-out, 35-seat coach trips (charabancs as they were known in those days), to the various venues that were within easy reach - such as the Free Trade Hall and Belle Vue, both in Manchester and Sheffield's City Hall. These successful trips enabled my 'customers' to see, among others, stalwarts such as Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton. When it came to booking a coach to see Count Basie, it was a different story altogether.

For weeks in advance, many came and booked seats for the Sheffield show; nearer to the date, however, many dropped out for various reasons. On the night of the concert I realised that if things didn't improve I was going to be stuck with about fifteen, 30 bob (£1.50) tickets on my hands. Well, things didn't improve and I was, in fact, left with those tickets as we arrived in Sheffield.

Standing on the steps of the City Hall, with a fistful of unsold tickets made me look nothing more that a tout. However, on a more positive note, and as luck would have it, there were many enthusiasts who did turn up that night without tickets, and were only too glad to take them off my hands - even though I did have to reduce the price. In fact, those £1.50 tickets were given away at the ridiculous bargain price of ten bob (50p). Imagine seeing Count Basie for 50p! What a bargain, eh? And the upshot was that I managed to flog them off in time to see the concert commence.

There on stage at the piano, and fronting his legendary 17 piece orchestra, was one of the greatest pioneers of big-band music, William 'Count' Basie - a leading figure of the swing era who, alongside Duke Ellington, was a true representative of the genre. Born in Red Bank, New Jersey, on August 21, 1904, Basie was not only a pianist of the highest order but a bandleader who possessed an impeccable taste when choosing not only his personnel, but also his choice of musical programme.

A mish-mash.

13th May 1975 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

26 & 27th May 1976 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

15th September 1976 Hawkwind

23rd January 1978 Judas Priest

8th March 1978 Squeeze

10th October 1978 Squeeze

28th September 1979 Saxon

27th October 1980 AC/DC 'Back in Black'

9th February 1981 Gary Moore

19th November 1981 Judas Priest

16th October 1981 Saxon

25th October 1982 Hawkwind

16th November 1983 Ozzy Osbourne

11th December 1987 INXS

4th April 1988 Alice Cooper

18th February 1989 Waterboys

23rd January 1989 Judas Priest

9th October 1990 Iron Maiden/Wolfsbane

15th February 1991 Motorhead

20th March 1992 Jethro Tull

1st October 1993 Squeeze

11th February 1995 Queensryche

19th February 1998 UFO

1938 (date not known) Winston Churchill

"rearmament should be speeded up"

he wasn't wrong there then !!!; played a tremendous bongo-solo so I'm told ... probably ...

C.I.S.W.O. 15TH. ANNUAL BRASS BAND FESTIVAL - CONTEST AND CONCERT - CITY HALL SHEFFIELD

TESTPIECE SYMPHONY OF MARCHES - 1.3.1964

C.I.S.W.O. 25TH. ANNUAL BRASS BAND FESTIVAL - CONTEST AND CONCERT - CITY HALL SHEFFIELD

TESTPIECE BELMONT VARIATIONS - 3.3.1974

27 October School reopened. Last evening 26 October a party of 167 staff and pupils went by motor charabancs to the City Hall Sheffield to see a performance of Edward German's Merrie England. Miss FM Wood absent from duty this morning owing to a chill. Miss Wood at School for afternoon session.

28 October Miss Wood absent again through a chill.

29 October Miss Wood still absent.

1 November School closed on instruction so that it might be used as a polling booth in Municipal Elections.

2 November School reopened. Miss Wood resumed her duties. Medical Certificate produced by her forwarded to the Education Office.

8 November Mr Smith absent suffering from a chill.

http://www.oldtaptonians.co.uk/logbook.html

When The Count outshone the rain

November 1958

No exact date; but some nice detail ...

http://www.memorylane.org.uk/previous_articles.htm

By Tony Parker

Almost everyone can remember the first time that they saw one of the great American bands in action in this country, when they were allowed to visit after the lifting of the notorious Anglo-American Musicians' ban in the 1950s. My recollection, although perhaps a little different than most, is every bit as relevant. In my case it wasn't so much the exciting prospect of seeing and hearing the great Count Basie orchestra in action, on a cold, wet and windy November night at the City Hall, Sheffield, in 1958, but more a question of whether or not I'd be able to get into this marvellous South Yorkshire venue. Also, it wasn't that I didn't have a front-stall ticket. I did. In fact, that night I had more tickets than I could handle. Intrigued? Then let me elucidate.

As a band-loving teenager, and living in a town that was starved of such attractions, I used to organise sold-out, 35-seat coach trips (charabancs as they were known in those days), to the various venues that were within easy reach - such as the Free Trade Hall and Belle Vue, both in Manchester and Sheffield's City Hall. These successful trips enabled my 'customers' to see, among others, stalwarts such as Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton. When it came to booking a coach to see Count Basie, it was a different story altogether.

For weeks in advance, many came and booked seats for the Sheffield show; nearer to the date, however, many dropped out for various reasons. On the night of the concert I realised that if things didn't improve I was going to be stuck with about fifteen, 30 bob (£1.50) tickets on my hands. Well, things didn't improve and I was, in fact, left with those tickets as we arrived in Sheffield.

Standing on the steps of the City Hall, with a fistful of unsold tickets made me look nothing more that a tout. However, on a more positive note, and as luck would have it, there were many enthusiasts who did turn up that night without tickets, and were only too glad to take them off my hands - even though I did have to reduce the price. In fact, those £1.50 tickets were given away at the ridiculous bargain price of ten bob (50p). Imagine seeing Count Basie for 50p! What a bargain, eh? And the upshot was that I managed to flog them off in time to see the concert commence.

There on stage at the piano, and fronting his legendary 17 piece orchestra, was one of the greatest pioneers of big-band music, William 'Count' Basie - a leading figure of the swing era who, alongside Duke Ellington, was a true representative of the genre. Born in Red Bank, New Jersey, on August 21, 1904, Basie was not only a pianist of the highest order but a bandleader who possessed an impeccable taste when choosing not only his personnel, but also his choice of musical programme.

OK Richard, without refering back to post #38 in this thread lets see how your lessons in swing are progressing. I will allow you to translate this one, -

The Count Basie Orchestra (this is the 1945 line up, not necessarily the same as the one which appeared at the City Hall in 1958)

Ed Lewis, Joe Newman, Harry Edison, AI Killian (t), Dickie Wells, Ted Donnelly, Eli Robinson (tb),

Earle Warren, Jimmy Powell (as), Buddy Tate, Lucky Thompson (ts), Rudy Rutherford (bs),

Count Basie (ldr, p), Freddie Green (g), Rodney Richardson (B), Shadow Wilson (d).

Some Jazz fans consider the Basie orchestra to be the swingiest of all Jazz orchestras, Basie himself perfected it and minimalised it to such an extent he hardly had to play the piano as the band could carry the swing. To show that he was still there a lot of his later tunes ended with just 3 piano notes plink, plink, - plink, like 3 drips of water into a bucket, followed by a final roar of brass

William "Count" Basie 1904 - 1984

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Any idea of dates, Markbaby? Yes, the list will be long, but what a contribution to social and local entertainment history!

Can anybody confirm the date in 1954 when Frankie Laine played the City Hall. I have note of a story in The Star for Sep 2 1954 which is about some girls starting a queue outside Wilson Peck's at 5.30 am in order to get tickets for the Frankie Laine show at the City Hall. But it fails to say when the concert was scehduled.

The girls, by the way, were Joyce Beighton, 17, of Hoyle Street; Betty Oxley, 18, and Rita Littlewood,16, also from Hoyle Street. Also Ken Jarvis from Parson Cross, Maureen Jones of Ripon Street, Attercliffe, and Mrs R. Roberts of Youlgreave Drive, Frecheville.

I wonder where those fans are now?