dunsbyowl1867

All November 1971

Fairport Convention 16th

Mungo Jerry 22nd

Alan Bown 27th

Groundhogs/Egg/Quicksand 29th

Soft Machine 30th

28th October 1967

The Who/Traffic, The Herd, Marmalade and The Tremeloes, two shows 6:20 and 8:30 ...

To post up from here PW

Does not matter which decade you are in, all welcome. I can't remember the 50's just saw this mentioned on Ebay, someone was selling the programme.

Does not matter which decade you are in, all welcome. I can't remember the 50's just saw this mentioned on Ebay, someone was selling the programme.

I was always Victorian ... wasn't even built then !

CHUCK BERRY SHOW May 1964, City Hall, Sheffield * included ANIMALS ETC

RAY CHARLES July 1964, City Hall, Sheffield

DUBLINERS and DERMOT O'BRIEN February 1967, City Hall, Sheffield * c (VG)

Not brilliant on the dates, but, better than nothing.

Too Marvellous for Words

23rd January 1954

Vic Lewis and his Orchestra : Dave Loban, Colin Wright, Ronnie Baker, Dave Power, tp; Johnny Watson, Jack Botterill, Laurie Franklin, tb; Ronnie Chamberlain, Bernard Allen, as; Les Wigfield, Tubby Hayes, ts; Brian Rogerson, bs; Don Riddell, p; Dave Willis, b; Kenny Hollick, d; Vic Lewis, ldr, perc. on “Peanut Vendor”.

http://www.proper-records.co.uk/artists.ph...w&alid=2018

I was always Victorian ... wasn't even built then !

Stuart is as old as me, - he probably CAN remember the 50's :o

Too Marvellous for Words

23rd January 1954

Vic Lewis and his Orchestra : Dave Loban, Colin Wright, Ronnie Baker, Dave Power, tp; Johnny Watson, Jack Botterill, Laurie Franklin, tb; Ronnie Chamberlain, Bernard Allen, as; Les Wigfield, Tubby Hayes, ts; Brian Rogerson, bs; Don Riddell, p; Dave Willis, b; Kenny Hollick, d; Vic Lewis, ldr, perc. on “Peanut Vendor”.

http://www.proper-records.co.uk/artists.ph...w&alid=2018

...and for those who can only remember the more modern act or who are not familiar with big bands allow me to translate.

Vic Lewis and his Orchestra is a single act consisting of

Dave Loban, Colin Wright, Ronnie Baker, Dave Power, tp = trumpet, so a four piece trumpet section

Johnny Watson, Jack Botterill, Laurie Franklin, tb = trombone, a 3 piece trombone section

Ronnie Chamberlain, Bernard Allen, as = alto saxophone

Les Wigfield, Tubby Hayes, ts = tenor saxophone

Brian Rogerson, bs = baritone saxophone making in total a standard 5 piece saxophone section (man can those boys swing :rolleyes: )

Don Riddell, p = piano

Dave Willis, b = bass a string bass (double bass) although by the 1950's electric bass was coming in

Kenny Hollick, d = drums, piano bass and drums making up a standard percussion section

Vic Lewis, ldr = leader and also perc. = percussion on “Peanut Vendor”, a 1947 piece originally performed by Stan Kenton and his orchestra.

I didn't get it all; so Thank you.

You probably didn't get the bit about me and Stuart0742, - nobody really understands what we are on about after40 odd years of being daft together, - even our wives think we are some sort of beer drinking double act :blink:

The other bit about the orchestra,

These are standard abbrivations used on record sleeves and in books and notes to indicate what each member of the band did, for example which instrument he played, it's all fairly simple really, - but then again, ....

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

2nd March 1963 The Beatles and Helen Shapiro

16th March 1963 The Beatles

25th May 1963 The Beatles

16th September 1963 Dave Berry and the Cruisers/Karen Young and the Cadillacs/The Debonairs/Vance Arnold and the Avengers

2nd November 1963 The Beatles

Will add more when I find some.

28th October 1967 The Who/The Herd/Marmalade/The Tremeloes

17th November 1967 Pink Floyd (Nice guitarist Davy O'List stands in for Syd on several dates due to his 'personal problems').

27th January 1969 The Nice

24th May 1969 Pink Floyd

15th October 1969 Jethro Tull/Terry Reid

4th December 1969 Delaney & Bonnie & Friends

(Delaney Bramlett, Bonnie Bramlett, Eric Clapton, Dave Mason, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Bobby Whitlock, Jim Price, Tex Johnson, Rita Coolidge and George Harrison).

Info supplied by member abcman

In 1969 when the Lyceum Theatre closed, the City Hall became home to four of Sheffield's large amateur operatic societies who prior to this staged their annual shows at the Lyceum. They were the Sheffield Teachers Operatic Society (now back at the Lyceum),Croft House Operatic Society (now back at the Lyceum),Sheffield Amateur Operatic Society (now disbanded) and Elmsdale Amateur Operatic Society (now presenting at the Montgomery). A fifth one later moved there from the Montgomery - Manor Operatic Society, who are now the only society to still stage there annual production there plus of course their popular Christmas pantomimes.