dunsbyowl1867

Nether Edge School, Speech Day. 15th February 1934

eBay

Nether Edge School Sheffield speech day 1934 = lists:

Headmaster & Staff
Programme
Hymn
Successes of the School

South Yorkshire Branch Club & Institute Union.

Souvenir Programme - Celebrity Concert - City Hall Sheffield 29th Aug 1948.

Proceeds in aid of Convalescent Homes Supported by South Yorkshire Branch.

The programme is fully signed in middle by :

Michael Howard - Comedian.

Gita De La Fuente - Opera.

Isador Goodman - Australian Pianist.

Arthur Tolcher - Harmonica Player.

Helga Stone - " Never the Same Girl Twice"

Stancey - of Stancey & Page - A Musical "*** - Bit"

Moore & Hatton - Harmony at the Piano.

Walter Midgley - Edinburgh International Festival Fame.

Gladys Vernon - Walter Midgley Accompanist.

Richard Murdock - Star of "Much Bidding in the Marsh"

----------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly I can't even post a link !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUTH-YORKSHIRE-BRANCH-CLUB-Celebrity-Concert-City-Hall-Sheffield-1948-Signed-/131627593829?hash=item1ea59db065:g:Fd8AAOSwVL1WEsrM

I'm probably too late for my contribution to this topic, but does anyone remember Jewel and Warris? They appeared regularly in Sheffield (I believe Jimmy Jewel was a Sheffielder) at, I think, the Lyceum. My mother took us to see them and I remember distinctly (I'd be about 6, in the early 50s) they had a backdrop of a semi-naked female and Jimmy would wiggle his fingers near her bum, as if tickling her there - my mother was so outraged she said "come on, we're gooin" so I only saw them for about ten minutes of their act!

1 hour ago, JoeG said:

I'm probably too late for my contribution to this topic, but does anyone remember Jewel and Warris? They appeared regularly in Sheffield (I believe Jimmy Jewel was a Sheffielder) at, I think, the Lyceum. My mother took us to see them and I remember distinctly (I'd be about 6, in the early 50s) they had a backdrop of a semi-naked female and Jimmy would wiggle his fingers near her bum, as if tickling her there - my mother was so outraged she said "come on, we're gooin" so I only saw them for about ten minutes of their act!

Hello.

We have a topic about Jewel & Warriss,  here ......

I saw Louis Armstrong at the City Hall May 8 1962,  first house at 6.20 because 8.50 was fully booked, I think.   Sheffield Telegraph website suggests many other jazz greats appeared there in the 60s - Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan, Count Basie and Duke Ellington are all mentioned.  I also saw many great classical artists at the Civic Hall during my 1959-62 time at the Uni., e.g. Sir John Barbirolli (Sibelius' Second), Geza Anda (playing Beethoven and photographed in the next day's papers rushing off at the end to grasp a cigarette from an aide), George Weldon, Leonard Pennario (Ravel Piano Concerto), Ann Schein (Rachmaninov 3rd Piano Concerto).  The Halle Orchestra, led by Martin Milner, played the same programme on Friday and Saturday nights alternating between Sheffield and Manchester.   Front row seat right under the leader's seat for 2/- (10p).    Great memories.

My friend and I, went to see SLADE in the early '70s. We were about 12' from the stage and it was brill ! They were a real proper Glitz and Glam band, full of colour and sparkle, and the clothes were just WOW ! Noddy Holder was great, he got everybody of all ages, enthused in clapping, swaying, and singing the words. Can't remember how many encores they had. It was a really wonderful, unforgetable night.

On 06/02/2014 at 09:25, Athy said:

June 23rd 1967.

The Original Drifters, Ronnie Jones & The Q Set, Pitiful Souls, the Trends, Amboy Dukes. Compere Peter Stringfellow.

Possibly one further act: Alan Bown Set springs to mine but I can't be sure.

I was there.

I was a friend of the lead singer Lloyd in the pitiful souls, And I was there .

Good, wasn't it?

Since that post I've attended a reunion of ex-Island Records people in London, where I met former Island artist Jess Roden - who confirmed that he was the singer with the Alan Bown Set at that time. In the '70s he had some success with his Jess Roden Band. He still looked annoyingly young!

I remember being at a concert in the City Hall given by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I think it was in 1962 but it isn't listed here in any of the 1960's list.

We were on the stage behind them.They were the cheapest seats and it was the only tickets we could afford. At one stage near the end the Quartet turned around to face us and suddenly we were in the best seats in the house sitting only a few yards from them/

My love of classical music also began in the City Hall too. The concerts given by the Halle Orchestra on Fiday nights.

The Overture to the Third Act of Lohengrin was the first piece I ever heard live. That was in the early 1960's too.

Sat 16th April 1966 

Stalls 7/6d     Row ZZ Seat 1

Walker Brothers headlined first half and Roy Orbison the 2nd

Support acts,

Lulu, Marianettes, Kim D & the Dell 5, The Quotations, Ray Cameron (may have been an artiste but could have compered) 

Went to see the Walker Brothers and wasn't sure about this Roy Orbison fella until he sang. WoW

Sat 5th Nov 1966 

Stalls 6/-      Row D Seat 20

The Hollies, Small Faces, Paul & Barry Ryan, Paul Jones, Rob Storme & the Whispers, Nashville Teens, Peter Jay & The New Jay Walkers. Ray Cameron (again could have been an artiste or the compere) 

Waited at a back door with lots of other girls, until they were all persuaded they were coming out of another door, I stayed and looked through the letter box to see The Small Faces just behind the door. Shouted to "Plonk" and he took my autograph book through the letter box and got the others to sign it, before they were hurried out of a different exit. Made my night, not so my friend who'd rushed with the others to another door. 

Fri 17th Nov 1967

Front Stalls 10/6d    Row A Seat 21

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Move, Outer Limits, Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett was with them), The Nice, Amen Corner, Eire Apparent, Pete Drummond (could have been an artiste or compere) 

What a line up! Pink Floyd were well down the billing, waited outside the stage door for autographs, hadn't a clue who some were who exited but they very kindly added the group they were in. Pink Floyd were among the ones including Syd Barrett who duly obliged. Sneeked in at an opportune moment and got Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell's autograph but unfortunately not Jimi's.